MECA World Finals 2007

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Made it back early this morning from finals and I had an absolute blast! Didnt get much sleep but better than last year. The Nashville state fairgrounds is a great venue. Plenty of room, air conditioned, nice clean bathrooms and a concession stand. Plus the loud **** SPL guys were plenty far away with their own building to play in. The turnout was pretty solid with 40 SQ cars and 70 SPL cars. Although this was less than last year, the competition was 3 times stronger! Every single pro class was competitive and all the pro classes were loaded with no weak systems in there at all. Audiocontrol, Zapco, Batcap and Termlab sponsored the event and were out there as well. And Batcap was nice enough to bring a rather smoking hot bikini model with them. :D

The SPL was fun to watch and there were some very big numbers. MECA SPL measures at the headrest which is supposed to eliminate any particular advantage one vehicle has over another and leaves it all up to the installer but the downside is the numbers are smaller. Still, the loudest score was a 161+ which I would guesstimate would be a 170+ in any other league. The coolest thing was when this guy did Drive By SPL which is when they place the mic outside the car 6 feet from it and measures the level. Unlike regular SPL where they do a one note burp, in drive by they play music for 30 seconds and their score is the average. That guy that did a 161, hit a 137 in drive by which is INSANE! It was so loud that near the end his windshield shattered! The place went nuts and it was the coolest part of the weekend!

They also have MECA Kids which is kids taking their Power Wheels and putting a SPL system on them. No kidding! And dont think they dont take it seriously either! The top score was a 141! FROM A POWER WHEELS!!!!! Its a riot to watch too! A friend of mine has his kid in there. His has 4,yes 4 horns, 4 midbasses, a 12" DD sub, a pair of Zapco amps and an Audiocontrol DQS! It is the coolest thing Ive ever seen!

The SQ team Im on won Team of the Year which is awesome! These guys are the best competitors out there and I couldnt be prouder to be part of that team.

I had the best performance Ive ever had and placed 2nd! Yeah, I know - always the bride maid..... Still, even tho this is the same result as last year, this class was 10 times harder than the amateur class I was in last year with no less than 2 former world champions! The guy that beat me is one of the best in the business (this was his 3rd consecutive championship) but he only got me by 1.5 points. I am most proud of that. Whats even better is that out of 8 classes, my score was higher than the winner in 4 of them. Ironically, if Id stayed with the class I was originally going to enter at the beginning of the season, I wouldve won. But oh well. Coming in a close 2nd to one of the best competitors out there is pretty damn cool to me!!

Thank you Thom Voisinet and Josh Claar. I could not have done it without your help!!

And most of all, thank you Polk Audio for making the best speakers on the market! I DEFINITELY couldnt have done it with them cause believe me, theyre doing all the work. I just made sure they were installed properly and then got out of their way. My favorite comment written on one of the 3 judges score sheet was for midbass, midrange and highs. He actually wrote "Wow! Very nice!" Ill take credit for the imaging, but the tonality is all Polk! Not too shabby for a "small" set of 5.25's!

I didnt take my camera like the moron that I am but a friend on Team Zapco took a ton of pictures and Ill steal some from his website when he gets them up. :D
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Here is a video where the guy blasted out his windshield. It doesnt show it go but you can see everybody react to it.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/shockedmustang/?action=view&current=100_0058.flv
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited November 2007
    yo Mac post pix of your system will ya :)
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    CONGRATS MAC !

yER MY FRIGGIN HERO BRO !

2nd Place in the World Finals aint too friggen shabby !

Now get yer arse over here and do my truck !!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    Congrats on a job well done Mac. Cant say I agree with the 'drive by' competition though. Its cool, but kind of the opposite of what I'd like to see organizations supporting.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited November 2007
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    That's awesome, Mac!!! Way to go! You make us proud! :D:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Here is a video where the guy blasted out his windshield. It doesnt show it go but you can see everybody react to it.

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/shockedmustang/?action=view&current=100_0058.flv

The dude at the shop audio shop I was at during lunch was talking about that. I mentioned the new hifonics stuff coming out and he immediately loaded that video up and said "Yo, did you see this?"
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited November 2007
    Congrats Mac, your are our hero, and our champion
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited November 2007
    Thumbs up for a job very well done! Congrats! :cool:

Thats SPL drive-by thing is juuust insane.
  • AcuraTLSQ
    AcuraTLSQ Posts: 3
    edited November 2007
    Congrats again! Thanks for pushing me to the next level. Stock+ kicked some serious butt!

Kirk
    Team Schil Acoustics
    Team Zapco

2005 MECA Stock World Champion
    2006 MECA Stock World Champion
    2007 MECA Stock+ World Champion
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Back atcha bro! Its pretty damn cool that a couple lowly stock cars like us scored higher than just about everybody else! :D

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    "Drive-by SPL"??!! They encourage that crap!?
  • Drowsy09
    Drowsy09 Posts: 28
    edited November 2007
    Hey if you dont mind me asking, what subs and amps and such are you running?
  • mopar paul
    mopar paul Posts: 277
    edited November 2007
    that's impressive-I evy that system!
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    "Drive-by SPL"??!! They encourage that crap!?

Absoultely. Its a blast to watch!

Its no more silly than spending thousands of dollars just to make your car go faster in the 1/4 mile. ;)

Im running Polk Momo subs currently with Crossfire amps but the plan for next season is Polk SR subs and the new Polk amps. The Crossfires havent let me down or anything but they run out of clean power really quick and have turn off pop issues - especially the sub.

AcuraTLSQ runs Zapco amps and Fi subs and as you can see, theyre quite the effective combination. ;)

• exalted512
    edited November 2007
    Absoultely. Its a blast to watch!

Its no more silly than spending thousands of dollars just to make your car go faster in the 1/4 mile. ;)

I disagree. You could relate making your car fast to illegal street racing, but its kind of far fetched. Same argument can be made that SPL competitors can relate to pissing the neighborhood off, still kind of far fetched.

But making a competition to see how loud you can be outside the car is pretty much encouraging that...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Thats like saying, marksmanship competitions are encouraging drive by shootings or boxing matches are encouraging thugs beating up some old lady in the street or that NASCAR is encouraging illegal street racing or that violent movies are encouraging bank robberies or that paintballing is encouraging gang shootings.

Its a sport plain and simple. The people cruising thru your neighborhood at 3 am pissing you off are not SPL competitors.

• black magic
    edited November 2007
    Its a sport plain and simple. The people cruising thru your neighborhood at 3 am pissing you off are not SPL competitors.

I hate it when people associate idiots with car/audio enthusiasts. When people find out I drive a civic and I'm into car audio and a few mods, I always get that "oooh, you're one of them" look.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    You drive a civic?!?! :eek: :eek:

:p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2007
    im italian, sephartic, bulgarian, nicuragen, russian, pretty fair skinned. i got called asian today by my **** friend when he was watching me do some of the install because i have the civic and all the audio stuff, and was sitting on a laptop and texting with my smartphone.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • exalted512
    edited November 2007
    Thats like saying, marksmanship competitions are encouraging drive by shootings or boxing matches are encouraging thugs beating up some old lady in the street or that NASCAR is encouraging illegal street racing or that violent movies are encouraging bank robberies or that paintballing is encouraging gang shootings.

No. If they had marksmanship competitions in a moving car with an automatic weapon shooting at a target would be like promoting drive shootings.

To each their own I guess.
    -Cody
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    wwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I dig the smilie thing !!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited November 2007
    Hey Mac do you have some pics of the install in your civic bro? I have not seen your setup since you got the civic.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    I drive an Accord. I dont really have any pics cause there isnt anything really fancy about it. Its basically stock.

Im 99% sure Im closing on a house with a huge garage next month so Ill actually have room to work and I plan on putting together a halfway decent install.

• audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    That's awesome!! A real garage! Congrats!! *high five*
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited November 2007
    a lot of hondas over here, im proud of that since i have a honda Club here on mexico.

nice rides guys i love mine..

here is a pic of the club

img2806kq3.jpg
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • black magic
    edited November 2007
    Can't go wrong with the almighty Civic ;)

Since we're on the topic of cars, how do you like the accord, Mac? Would you say its worth purchasing?
  • AcuraTLSQ
    AcuraTLSQ Posts: 3
    edited November 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I disagree. You could relate making your car fast to illegal street racing, but its kind of far fetched. Same argument can be made that SPL competitors can relate to pissing the neighborhood off, still kind of far fetched.

But making a competition to see how loud you can be outside the car is pretty much encouraging that...
    -Cody

Without you ever having seen a Drive By comp I can understand your point. SPL is measured from 6' away, averaged over 30 seconds. Until the local neighbor hood watch install's meters it doesn't encourage anything. It gives folks interested in that sort of thing a place to play. The person doing this is not the one waking you up at 3am. These guys are building boxes at 3AM.

K
    Team Schil Acoustics
    Team Zapco

2005 MECA Stock World Champion
    2006 MECA Stock World Champion
    2007 MECA Stock+ World Champion