$500.00 Laptop???

nikolas812
nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Can anyone recommend a decent laptop for around $500.00. I am looking to get my father a laptop for christmas but I don't know anything about them. I did some quick searches and found the compaq presario v6000t and c500t are in the price range. I also found a dell vostro 1500 for a little more. He doesn't need a whole lot. I think he wants something mainly to surf the web with and check emails while on the go. Speed is also a issue with him, patience was never something he had. Has anyone had any experience with any of these mentioned laptops.If not could someone just kindly point me in the right direction. It would be much appreciated.
Post edited by nikolas812 on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    Dell often has deals for decent laptops around that price range. I snagged a Inspiron 1501 for just over 500 bucks about 6 months ago, it's been great.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited November 2007
    Just make sure if it's running Windows Vista that you up the memory to at least 2gb...if not more. Just check to see what the maximum is you can add to it. After I went from 1gb to 2gb, I've noticed a MAJOR difference in my Gateway laptop. Just my $.02. YMMV.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited November 2007
  • nikolas812
    edited November 2007
    Dell often has deals for decent laptops around that price range. I snagged a Inspiron 1501 for just over 500 bucks about 6 months ago, it's been great.

Did it come with a internal modem and or wireless card? I have no clue but I think those are what he needs to become wireless. Am I right or wrong.:o
  • nikolas812
    edited November 2007
    I have heard bad things about gateway. I have known of a couple of gateway desktop owners who have had nothing but trouble. Has anybody had any issues with there gateway laptop or known anybody who has? Also I went to the link provided for gateway and they have two to chose from. One with a celeron processor and one with dual core pentium. Are there major differences between the two? Will one be noticably faster than the other? Sorry for all the dumb questions. I just want to make sure I am going to get him something he is going to enjoy and not something that he is going to hate to use.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    Came with all of that. Wireless G, modem, 15" screen, gig of memory, XP, etc.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • nikolas812
    edited November 2007

Well, I went and looked at the dell you were talking about I think it will probally be the one I buy. It looks to have everything he needs plus he is a huge dell fan. He bought his first ever desktop computer from dell and has loved them ever since. Thanks for the help.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited November 2007
    Dell can be excellent IMO. They're not quite as polished in appearance and feel as Toshiba or HP, but they do work. We have an old Dell and an old Toshiba ultra-light that are both about 5 years old (as well as a new Dell ultra-light that is two years old). The good thing about Dell is that there are so many spare parts available when they are three years old or so. I think I would be tempted to stick with XP because Vista is such a hog, but then I'm neurotic and still run W2K on two of our three machines because it's even less greedy than XP and totally stable.

I should also mention that my sister has an ancient Gateway from the same generation as our old stuff and it still works perfectly ... even with kids thumping away at it from time to time.

For ultra-light (weighing 3lbs or less), I will only ever buy Toshiba (very reliable, and better than the Sony I bought in 2000). For standard laptops, I think it's hard to beat the value of HP, Compaq and Dell. If your Dad's a Dell fan already, I say give him what he wants!
    Alea jacta est!
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited November 2007
    I picked up a Dell Vostro 1000 a few weeks ago for $499. I've been more than happy with it.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • nikolas812
    edited November 2007
    I am kind of torn between vista and xp. Buying something new like this I would like to get him the latest and greatest (vista). But everybody keeps saying the same thing. Vista is a hog, even dell recommends a upgrade of ram if your going to run vista. It even says certain things in vista won't even run if you don't have a certain amount of memory. As much as I hate to I might be best to go with XP. I have a feeling the computer would probally run much faster and be more effecient. Plus it would be cheaper considering I wouldn't have to upgrade to more ram. Which was a $130.00 upgrade.:eek: He also is very famliar with XP so he wouldn't have to learn anything. Which is another added plus. Looks like XP.:cool: Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited November 2007
    http://bensbargains.net/category/5

Ive recently found and bought a few deals with this site. If nothing there suits your needs then give it a few days and check back, as its constantly updated.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • nikolas812
    edited November 2007
    They have a lot deals. But I think I am goning with dell. Although there was a nice hp pavillion on there for $800.00 from circuit city with free shipping. Thats something to think about. Thanks for site.;)
  • Kex
    edited November 2007
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    I am kind of torn between vista and xp. Buying something new like this I would like to get him the latest and greatest (vista). ... As much as I hate to I might be best to go with XP. I have a feeling the computer would probally run much faster and be more effecient. Plus it would be cheaper considering I wouldn't have to upgrade to more ram. Which was a $130.00 upgrade.:eek: ... Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
    For what you say he wants to do, XP seems fine. If you want a little extra WOW, you could go with Vista and 1GB of RAM to start with ... then add an extra GB of RAM in 6-12 months when prices come down a bit. 2GB of RAM in a budget laptop right now does not come cheap, and Microsoft does say it will run with just 512 or 1GB according to the edition you get. I'm not giving anyone $130 right now for an extra memory module. The problem is though, when you get just 1GB, they usually give you 2x512, so you still have to swap both modules to get 2GB at a later stage (if there are only two slots) :mad: .

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx
    Alea jacta est!
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited November 2007
    Sometimes the dell refurbs are a pretty good deal. I'll probably upgrade my daughter with one for christmas. Go to the dell website and take a look at the outlet store. They have refurbs and scratch and dents. They also started selling stuff that came off lease. They are older models but I saw some kick **** desktops for a very nice price (I didn't check the laptop off lease).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    http://www.dealcatcher.com/dell-sb-coupons

Scroll down till you see this entry..you do NOT have to have a business...when they ask..make up a name

Vostro 1500 15.4-inch Widescreen Notebook with Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB, 160GB and 8x CD/DVD Burner
    $549 with Free Shipping
    Featured at $549 after $410 instant savings. Free shipping.
    System Specs:
    1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    Windows XP Home
    Select > 15.4-inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife [+ $0]
    2GB DDR2 Memory
    160GB SATA Hard Drive
    8x CD/DVD Burner
    Dell Wireless 1390 wifi card
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Kex
    edited November 2007
    Hey Nikolas, I just did some checking for memory. I think you were looking at the 1501 at $499, right? I found this memory module that should fit it, but I'ld have to take a closer look to be sure: http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-2gb-ddr2-sdram-memory-module-2gb-533mhz-ddr2-533-pc2-4200-non/q/loc/101/204734573.html. A lot cheaper than the Dell price. Oh, and yes, that laptop has a wireless card already, so if he has a broadband modem (standard LAN ethernet cable and RJ45 connections), he should be good to go.

Of course, that deal is without any Office software.

P.S. The deal shadowofnight suggested looks interesting.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nikolas812
    edited November 2007
    P.S. The deal shadowofnight suggested looks interesting

It does look interesting. So far its the best deal by far. When I went directly to dell to see the 1501 they gave me options to build it my own way. The one I built has about the same specs as the one shadowofnight suggested. But the one I built cost $750.00 plus shipping where as his deal is saying $550.00 with free shipping.:eek: Seems like a no brainer. I plan on buying one after I get another pay check which will be this friday. So I am hoping saturday I can have one on the way.

As for the memory thing you suggested, I already knew I could probally find some memory much cheaper. But when buying something new like this I don't want to fool with anything. I just want something he can pull straight from the box and start using immeaditaly. Thanks for the searching and the idea though.;)
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    I have picked up more of those dealcatcher deals then I could count...each one was the absolute best deal to be found anywhere....they tie into a NON advertised E-Value code ...so dell knows they wont have to give many away at that price....but for those of us that follow those E-Value codes it saves hundreds if not thousands depending on the system you are looking at.

That particular one already comes with 2gb ram....and many goodies...for an awesome price. Just follow the dealcatcher suggestions to a T and you get the price as shown free shipping as well...you CAN add/modify specific hardware if you like....most will still be an awesome deal...except memory...never add memory to a dell deal unless it says free upgrade....they rape you on memory.

Be quick though...the ones that say expires= Unknown....usually means it wont be up and active for long. The good news is they usually replace the deal with one equal in good savings.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club