Espresso

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,950
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Thinking about picking up one of those fully automatic ones like from Saeco or Jura.Any of you guy's have experience with these?Steer me in the right direction.Jura as I understand,can't get parts and have to send in the whole machine when or if it goes south.Saeco seems to be popular but looks rather cheaply made.Any thoughts from you coffee junkies out there??
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's
Post edited by tonyb on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Tony if you have a Fante's out your way, they have every espresso maker known to man and they will guide you and guarantee the product. Here's the link to their website. I've never purchased from their website, I've always purchased from the brick and mortar store in the Italian Market on 9th Street in South Philly.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    I've never purchased from their website, I've always purchased from the brick and mortar store in the Italian Market on 9th Street in South Philly.

I was down the for the first time last weekend. Incredible area, the Italian Market. An experience everyone should have!
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Refefer wrote: »
    I was down the for the first time last weekend. Incredible area, the Italian Market. An experience everyone should have!

Did you see the lambs hanging in the butcher shop window?
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    Did you see the lambs hanging in the butcher shop window?

Missed that, but saw the live chickens and rabbits on the street and watched them make pasta from scratch.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited November 2007
    I probably qualify as a junkie since I drink between six and ten espresso's every day! Saeco gear is tempermental and crappy, even if the idea of a fully automatic machine seems tempting. It's also a bit like buying a TV with the DVD player built in. Actually, it's worse, because if the grinder breaks, the whole machine needs fixing.

I currently use a Gaggia and, while it's sturdy and doesn't break, it is also tempermental and too messy. I would not recommend it. In Europe, where these machines are so much cheaper, Krups have a big following at the entry level (but with the required 15 bars of pressure). There is a Krups being sold over here right now, at Linens & Things. It looks small and I haven't tried it, but if it's anything like the ones I use when travelling in Europe it is terrific value at $150 if you don't already have an espresso machine. I would expect it to make better coffee consistently than a $500 Gaggia.

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2408630&cp&sr=1&origkw=Espresso&kw=espresso&parentPage=search
    Alea jacta est!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    I'm happy with my Krupps and grinding my own beans. I make 3-6 cups a day also.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tonyb
    edited November 2007
    I have used fully automatic and done it by hand.Tell ya the truth,I like the automatic.Push a button,done.Maybe I'll seek a used one out to try for awhile.Damn things are expensive ya know.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kex
    edited November 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    ... Maybe I'll seek a used one out to try for awhile.Damn things are expensive ya know.
    They sure are tonyb! If you get lucky with a good used one, let us know, and some of us junkies might try for one ourselves. I'm about fed up with my Gaggia but I don't think I can finance audio upgraditis (which I have, BTW) and top notch espresso machines brand new in the same lifetime.

I don't know how good the Francis machines are, but they sure look good! Not fully automatic though and the name sounds gimmicky (verrrry suspicious in my book, but I haven't checked it out):
    http://www.wholelattelove.com/francis.cfm

Did you notice that Krups make a fully automatic too? I would trust their machine for reliable use long before I would trust Saeco.
    http://www.krupsonlinestore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=KRU+XP9000&MENU=&SKW=krufavorite

Actually, I also met a guy once who saw me buying coffee products and started chatting. He claimed he had used everything, including the all manual lever type. He said his Starbuck's machine was the best of all for regulare use. I don't think it was BS, and he seemed to know what he was talking about. They do have a couple of automatic models I noticed in their line of products.
    http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodli.asp?DeptNo=8100&ClassNo=0036
    Alea jacta est!
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    I have used fully automatic and done it by hand.Tell ya the truth,I like the automatic.Push a button,done.Maybe I'll seek a used one out to try for awhile.Damn things are expensive ya know.

I don't think you can beat the old fashioned, on the stove, top-on-top espresso makers. One cup of this and you need to go shave again!:D
  • tonyb
    edited November 2007
    Starbucks machines are made by saeco.I know a few people with them and they really like 'em.The key to the automatics is descaling on a regular basis.I like froth,Joe so the stove top is out.Plus I don't want to wait that long.Nobody here has a fully automatic one? All you dago's still going to mama's for a good espresso?:D

OOOPS.....I said"dago".....add that to the list.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    I don't think you can beat the old fashioned, on the stove, top-on-top espresso makers. One cup of this and you need to go shave again!:D
    I haven't used mine in a couple of years. I may have to give it a try again tomorrow.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007

OOOPS.....I said"dago".....add that to the list.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA watch it the PC guru on here might report you for speaking in a politically incorrect manner about yourself!!:eek::D
  • Kex
    edited November 2007
    Face wrote: »
    I haven't used mine in a couple of years. I may have to give it a try again tomorrow.
    Some of the stove top models are fine and dandy and I use one when I travel sometimes. I still prefer a good 15 bar pump machine for home use. One of the secrets is a good layer of crema, as tonyb points out.

Did anyone notice the Saeco machine being sold by Costco in the 11/26 to 12/10 Online Holiday Gift Guide delivered by mail? It's "only" $650 delivered (+ sales tax) and looks much better than some of their tacky machines IMO. Maybe working as a supplier for Starbuck's has given them a lesson or two about build quality and consistency (not that I'm a big fan of Starbuck's BTW, much prefer Peet's).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11236686&search=Saeco&Mo=6&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=Saeco&Ntt=Saeco&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Part of my problem with the fully automatic machines is that I don't trust them to have a good burr grinder mechanism with proper adjustment for coarseness.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    edited November 2007
    ... The key to the automatics is descaling on a regular basis. ...
    Actually, I find descaling such an annoyance that I just use filtered water to start with. The coffee supposedly tastes better and I never have to descale (even when I lived in very hard water areas).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited November 2007
    Kex wrote: »

Part of my problem with the fully automatic machines is that I don't trust them to have a good burr grinder mechanism with proper adjustment for coarseness.

Agreed, and that's one of the keys for a good shot. Like the one I just had:D
    Nice layer of crema, just about the perfect shor. We just got ours back from being repaired and I sure did miss it.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited November 2007
    Refefer wrote: »
    Missed that, but saw the live chickens and rabbits on the street and watched them make pasta from scratch.

That would have been something to see. I didn't even know rabbits and chickens could cook! :D
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    mark090852 wrote: »
    That would have been something to see. I didn't even know rabbits and chickens could cook! :D

That is funny. . . when I was a youngster, they use to run the cattle, pigs, and lambs up 9th street on their way to the slaughter house. Talk about fresh meat!