The dichotomy of our hobby..

13»

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    I was listening to an "expert" talking about the "collectible" market and the value of such things. One thing he said stuck with me. "For the most part the value of collectable items are generational". In other words, what may be valuable/collectable to one generation of people doesn't necessarily pass on to the next. Some things are timeless...certain rare pieces of art, some classic autos, etc...but for most of it, the value of something lies in the intrinsic value placed on it by the collector/investor. (the whole issue and discussion revolved around the investment value of "collections").

While we are not talking values here, I think the audio world may have a similar parallel. While the music may be timeless, the method of reproduction probably isn't. Some will say the resurgence of tubes and vinyl are proof that the old will pass on and on....but the technology we're talking about is still within the generation that is currently embracing it. Quality sound reproduction is still only 40-60 years old. There was little if any true Hi-Fi prior to the early fifties (the reel to reel was probably the first attempt impoving the sound quality of recordings). True Hi-Fi LPs didn't gain popularity until the mid to late 50s even though it was invented in the 40s. As generations who have been very comfortable changing tapes, changing LPs, changing 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs to get what we consider to be high quality music (as someone said...the physical aspect of the "changing" may add to the overall satisfaction of the experience)...we can/will empbrace the pusuit for better sound. The next generations may not.

I think the original premise was that as generations become more accustomed to the immediate and mass accumulation of music through technology, the pursuit for finding better fidelity will be limited to the mediums they are familiar with. If you only listen via headphones...there is only so much that can be done to improve the fidelity. We think our pursuit and our hobby are timeless....but they are probably not. "Music" may be timeless...but the various forms of delivery isn't.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    Bingo
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    Gear is not the issue. It may be if the industry holds the path they are taking, but not now. Digital music......well, there is too much in the digital world that is not a good representation of reality.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~