Vinyl Removal Decrease Value?

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited November 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
The Vinyl on my SDAs is in good condition. Some scuffs, etcs, but good condition for being 21 years old. However, that doesn't make them any less 80's and anti wife-able. (Plus the facts that I am revamping EVERYTHING on these 2As) I had the idea of removing the vinyl, painting the cabinets black, and then building a pair of soild wood end-caps (like the later SDAs) and finishing the caps with a good stain. Is this a worth-while projects, or would I be hurting the value of my speakers?
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Damn man, your title had me hungering for records!!!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Ya, I guess that's my bad. Didn't really think the title out. Oh well.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Damn man, your title had me hungering for records!!!

HaHa. I was on the same page.

Anyway. I really question how good painted particle board will look. Perhaps a textured paint would cover well enough. I personally would be tempted to strip off the vinyl and replace it with either new vinyl or a decent wood veneer. In regards the end caps...as long as it is well done, I would think you might even help the value slightly.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited November 2007
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    I had the idea of removing the vinyl, painting the cabinets black, and then building a pair of soild wood end-caps (like the later SDAs) and finishing the caps with a good stain. Is this a worth-while projects, or would I be hurting the value of my speakers?

If your wife is dissatisfied with the look of woodgrain vinyl, I do not think she will like the look of painted MDF either. I redid the cabinets of my SDA 1B's in a style similar to the SDA 1C's by adding gloss black metal foil panels (mirroflex) to the sides and oak end caps to the tops and bottoms.

I have two pairs of SDA CRS+'s that I re-veneered in teak. One pair of CRS+'s was originally covered in woodgrain vinyl and the other in maple veneer.

By redoing the cabinets, you will not be hurting the value of your speakers per se, but you may hurt their value in that your cosmetic changes may appeal to a more limited amount of buyers and you may not be able to recoup your investment.

Pics:
    1. Original SDA 1B cabinets.
    2. and 3. Remodeled SDA 1B cabinets.
    4., 5. and 6. Remodeled CRS+ cabinet.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Nice job DK! I so want to get my hands on some 1Cs and give the full treatment, new tweeters, new crossovers, new wood veneer and anything else that will enhance them. I've got a pair of CRS+s that is going to get the full treatment and the 4.1 upgrade.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I should be giving my 7c's the full treatment soon. Then eventually my Tannoy's.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Those teak CRS+ cabs look real nice....
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited November 2007
    Options
    You should refurbish the cabinets if you can afford to/or have the necessary craftsman like skills. The finish job on DKs looks great from the photos. Nice job DK.
    [