Jeeps

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Any of you guys here Jeep owners?

My dad and I are interested in them as they seem to be well-built, reliable, and good off-road vehicles. Also, it snows a lot here and I'd think a Jeep would be safe and practical for driving around in the winter. Audiobliss gave me some pointers on getting a Jeep but I'd like to hear from other Jeep owners.

So - I'm curious how many Polkies are Jeep owners and do you like them?
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    I know FrankZ takes his off roading quite frequently. I'd love to have a wrangler for off-road use, but i just couldnt see myself driving a jeep daily, especially not a wrangler.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited November 2007
    MonsterMBJoke.jpg
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4x4 (Quadratrack). Its an absolutely perfect snow vehicle. The thing handles flawlessly in deep snow. Highly recommend.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited November 2007
    Highly recommend as well. They are tuff as nails. I have wanted one for years and finally hooked up with a slightly used one this past summer.

IMG_10851.jpg
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited November 2007
    I have owned a 97 Grand Cherokee and 00 Grand Cherokee(wife's current ride) and have loved them both. The '00 has just over 100k and we have had no issues whatsoever(knock on wood). Great jeep that we have taken to Colorado for ski trips and handled snow and ice covered roads well. I really like it when it actually ices down here in Texas because it helps get by all the morons on the road who don't know how to drive in it. The in-laws have a Wrangler that I absolutely love and have driven off-road a good number of times and put it through it's paces and it has never let me down.

Are there more comfortable vehicles on the road, yes. But remember that Jeeps(from at least 2004 and earlier) are purpose built for going offroad and doing it well, so you sacrifice some on road comfort. The Grands are really comfy though on long trips.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    What do you plan on using it for?

If you're not going to go off-road, seriously, then I'd look for a 1998 Grand or a 2001 Grand. They'll go just about anywhere you'd ever dream of taking a vehicle, without any major alterations. If you plan to do serious off-roading, then stick with a '97 or later Wrangler(quadra-coil suspension). Just make sure if it's already modded, you know who did the mods and how it was driven. The Cherokees can be serious off-roaders, too.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    ND13 wrote: »
    What do you plan on using it for?

If you're not going to go off-road, seriously, then I'd look for a 1998 Grand or a 2001 Grand. They'll go just about anywhere you'd ever dream of taking a vehicle, without any major alterations. If you plan to do serious off-roading, then stick with a '97 or later Wrangler(quadra-coil suspension). Just make sure if it's already modded, you know who did the mods and how it was driven. The Cherokees can be serious off-roaders, too.

Well, my dad would be using it as a daily driver, especially in the wintertime, where it snows a lot here. Wouldn't be going off-road much, except for visiting a few friends that live upstate and need an off-road vehicle to get to there.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Audiobliss has one of these contraptions you speak of.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Audiobliss has one of these contraptions you speak of.

I'm well aware of that. Was asking him what's the best MPG he could get with his Jeep, since my dad is interested in the fuel economy, but apparently his driving style is not an accurate representation of the best MPG possible.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that. Was asking him what's the best MPG he could get with his Jeep, since my dad is interested in the fuel economy, but apparently his driving style is not an accurate representation of the best MPG possible.

I have Mitsubishi and Mazda Jeep which has 2.4L Intercooler Turbo Diesel engine , very good fuel economy and strong torque.
  • ND13
    edited November 2007
    Well, my dad would be using it as a daily driver, especially in the wintertime, where it snows a lot here. Wouldn't be going off-road much, except for visiting a few friends that live upstate and need an off-road vehicle to get to there.

I had a '98 Grand Cherokee LTD with the 318 V8. It got about 15 mpg combined. The reason I didn't mention the '99 was because it was the first year of the all new Grand and some of the early runs of that year model had issues with the "quadradrive"(not quadratrac) 4x4 system. I drove several of the '99-04 Grands for demos and got better combined mpg(17-18) with the 4.7V8 than with the 4.0 I6....being that it was a much more modern engine(sohc vs ohv). And it had power to spare. The damn things would outrun just about anything off the line.....they just grip and go. The "Quadradrive" system will send torque to the wheel with the most traction, where as most 4x4 systems do the exact opposite. During the winter, the Grand Cherokee with "Quadradrive" or "Selectrac" were the most confidence inspiring vehicles I've ever driven in inclement weather, BY FAR!!!
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    ND13 wrote: »
    I had a '98 Grand Cherokee LTD with the 318 V8. It got about 15 mpg combined. The reason I didn't mention the '99 was because it was the first year of the all new Grand and some of the early runs of that year model had issues with the "quadradrive"(not quadratrac) 4x4 system. I drove several of the '99-04 Grands for demos and got better combined mpg(17-18) with the 4.7V8 than with the 4.0 I6....being that it was a much more modern engine(sohc vs ohv). And it had power to spare. The damn things would outrun just about anything off the line.....they just grip and go. The "Quadradrive" system will send torque to the wheel with the most traction, where as most 4x4 systems do the exact opposite. During the winter, the Grand Cherokee with "Quadradrive" or "Selectrac" were the most confidence inspiring vehicles I've ever driven in inclement weather, BY FAR!!!

Thanks. In terms of reliability, how would you rate the Grand Cherokees?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• ND13
    edited November 2007
    Thanks. In terms of reliability, how would you rate the Grand Cherokees?

If you maintain them well, they're as good as most anything else, imo. They are also a lot less on the used market than a 4Runner or the like. One should look at trying to find a 2003-04 lease turn-in, as they are usually maintained better. That's what I bought when I got my '98.

The reason I'm saying the Grand over the reg Cherokee, is because the Cherokee rides like a chuck wagon compared to the Grand. Hell the '97 and newer Wranglers ride better than the Cherokee. Quadra coil suspension in much more forgiving than leaf spring for an everyday use vehicle, by far.
    If you were to go the Wrangler route, make sure to get the dual-top option.

The reg Cherokees are pretty much bullet-proof, though.
  • Barnestormer
    Barnestormer Posts: 27
    edited November 2007
    This is my ride... I love to wheel and go often.
    eric.jpg

11.jpg
    Eric 'Barnestormer' Barnes

Rollover Ratio - .5:2 :confused:
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Nice!

That Jeep looks awesome!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited November 2007
    Check w/Consumer Reports & other online car sites. In the past at least, Jeeps had lousy frequency of repair records. Hope that's changed.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • rskarvan
    edited November 2007
    My 98 Grand Cherokee with the 318 has been EXTREMELY RELIABLE!!!
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    My 98 Grand Cherokee with the 318 has been EXTREMELY RELIABLE!!!

Thanks for the assurance. In the past, my dad has always owned Japanese cars. Would like to try something different, as I am sure there are great American cars like the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    As a car enthusiast for 25 years, I think you should seriously do a lot of looking around on the internet for info before you jump into a Jeep. Lots and lots of information out there that would influence that purchase. I've personally seen 2 buddies almost die in a Cherokee while driving to Seattle on a common problem with that model (rusting exhaust) which ate a hole through the passenger floor and blew the exhaust into the cabin for a good amount of time before the Marine in the passenger chair stuck his hands back there and found it (resulting in a trip to the hospital for burns).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Barnestormer
    Barnestormer Posts: 27
    edited November 2007
    Check w/Consumer Reports & other online car sites. In the past at least, Jeeps had lousy frequency of repair records. Hope that's changed.

Well, the frame is about my only original part left from AMC. :D
    Now it's a Chevy 350 with FI and 700R4. From there it gets more crazy.
    Eric 'Barnestormer' Barnes

Rollover Ratio - .5:2 :confused:
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    As a car enthusiast for 25 years, I think you should seriously do a lot of looking around on the internet for info before you jump into a Jeep. Lots and lots of information out there that would influence that purchase. I've personally seen 2 buddies almost die in a Cherokee while driving to Seattle on a common problem with that model (rusting exhaust) which ate a hole through the passenger floor and blew the exhaust into the cabin for a good amount of time before the Marine in the passenger chair stuck his hands back there and found it (resulting in a trip to the hospital for burns).

I hope the newer models are better.

How's the Jeep Compass?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    The Jeep Compass isn't a Jeep, it's a Chrysler compact hatchback. Same thing for the Patriot. Unremarkable cars other than the styling. Heavy.

If you don't have offroad plans I'd skip a short wheelbase (Wrangler, CJ, etc) since it's not the most practical thing going.

I have a 1994 ZJ Grand with the 4.0, 42RE, and 231 transfer case. It's a very capable offroad vehicle (with a few mods they can 'wheel with anything) as well as being reasonable transportation. From my own experiences and everything I've read on all the Jeep boards I'm on, you'll probably be looking at more intensive maintenance than a Toyota SUV or classic US truck, but nothing too out of line. Weak spots on ZJs (93-98 Grands) are the transmission electronics, engine control sensors, exhaust manifold (4.0), plenum gasket (5.2/5.9), 249 transfer case VC, AC evaporator, suspension rubber bushings, and in general they have lousy brakes. These are very common with all ZJs, but keep in mind a lot of this has to do with the fact that the newest is now 10 years old.

WJ (99-04) Grands are more refined than the ZJs but are just as capable. They were a break from the '80s-style technology used previously. All new steering, brakes, V8 engine, etc. They have some tranmission and driveline issues, along with the Limited models having horrible problems with the HVAC mechanical system. I'd get a Laredo trim if you're going for a WJ.

I don't know much about the current WK Grands, they went for a major redesign that changed it from a solid-front-axle offrading design (rare in new SUVs, I think the WJ was the last from any maker) to a more sporty package. They have some extremely powerful engines available.

XJ Cherokees are mechanically similar to ZJs, but with a different transmission and leaf rear springs. The bodies are lighter and in general it's easier to work on because they have fewer luxury features. An available manual transmission is nice. They can scoot for a small six-cylinder truck. Compared to the abysmal resale value of ZJs and WJs, XJs remain in demand. I've never heard that fatal exhaust problems are common with these. Cracking manifolds are, but that's long been a 4.0 issue across the board.
  • rskarvan
    edited November 2007
    John in MA knows his JEEPS!
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    The Jeep Compass isn't a Jeep, it's a Chrysler compact hatchback. Same thing for the Patriot. Unremarkable cars other than the styling. Heavy.

So you're saying the Jeep Compass isn't as good as Jeep's other offerings?

I'd think the Jeep Compass would be the perfect car for the city, I've seen a lot of them around here in NYC.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• John in MA
    edited November 2007
    It's nothing like Jeep's other offerings, so you can't really compare. I guess other than the Jeepster back in the '50s it's the first car they've sold. The SUVs they sell are wagon unibodies on truck drivetrains, the reason they're good offroad and rather rugged. The Compass is just an average small car, and given its Chrysler heritage probably not as reliable as other small cars out there. Uglier, too. I'd be inclined to go with a good import or maybe a Focus in that size range.

If you wanted a car on the Compass platform, it's actually a Dodge Caliber underneath and the Caliber looks like it'll have more support available. They're already making a performance version.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited November 2007
    From my own experiences and everything I've read on all the Jeep boards I'm on, you'll probably be looking at more intensive maintenance than a Toyota SUV or classic US truck, but nothing too out of line.

I'd tend to agree with the 'Yotas being a little easier on the wallet in terms of maintenance, but would mention that there are a couple of trade offs to consider. First, a Toyota's going to be more money up front for the same year/type of truck. Second, while Toyota's have good aftermarket support to get upgraded parts from, you can't hold a candle to Jeeps aftermarket offerings. IMO, this would translate into cheaper goodies for Jeeps.

If it were me, I'd be looking for a Cherokee just like AB's. 6 cylinder, manual trans, no power anything. Of course, I'm kinda frugal, and don't like too many things that I can't fix on my own away from professional assistance.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    It's nothing like Jeep's other offerings, so you can't really compare. I guess other than the Jeepster back in the '50s it's the first car they've sold. The SUVs they sell are wagon unibodies on truck drivetrains, the reason they're good offroad and rather rugged. The Compass is just an average small car, and given its Chrysler heritage probably not as reliable as other small cars out there. Uglier, too. I'd be inclined to go with a good import or maybe a Focus in that size range.

If you wanted a car on the Compass platform, it's actually a Dodge Caliber underneath and the Caliber looks like it'll have more support available. They're already making a performance version.

Thanks. I was just interested in the Compass because it looked like a good "city" Jeep. I guess it's more car based and not as good as the other Jeeps, from what you are telling me.

Again, thanks for your help and now I know a few more things about Jeeps!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    One more question:

John said that the Jeep Compass is not a true off-road Jeep, but will it do well as a commuter vehicle? My dad was looking for something to get around town in.

There's not too many places to go off road here in NYC.

It would be used like City - 99%, off road - 1%.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• John in MA
    edited November 2007
    It probably would be a fine commuter vehicle, but if you're looking for something like that I think there are much better options. The Caliber/Compass doesn't have much of a long-term track record. I remember back when everyone was buying Dodge Neons in the '90s, and now I don't think I've even seen one on the road in the last three years.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    It probably would be a fine commuter vehicle, but if you're looking for something like that I think there are much better options. The Caliber/Compass doesn't have much of a long-term track record. I remember back when everyone was buying Dodge Neons in the '90s, and now I don't think I've even seen one on the road in the last three years.

In terms of long-term reliability, how would a Jeep Compass compare to something like an equivalent Honda or Toyota?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1