Police Chase

2»

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Watch again. The cop is on the hood before the car moves forward at all. Pause at 3:56.

The video is from the perspective of 3 squad cars. Shots were fired by a different (?) LEO before anyone was on the hood of the car. The decision to kill the man was made at that point....

Beside that, I still see the car moving, which is assault with a deadly weapon, and which does give LEOs the right to take the guy out.

It is funny some are defending a guy that was speeding through the streets at night at speeds over 100 MPH running away from police who, at first, were just trying to pull him over for erratic driving. The driver had no regard for human life, and it's proven by the fact he was doing all of this **** with an innocent passenger in the car, but we're worried about actions of the LEOs who could have easily been killed by this **** driving. Awesome.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    The video is from the perspective of 3 squad cars. Shots were fired by a different (?) LEO before anyone was on the hood of the car. The decision to kill the man was made at that point....

Beside that, I still see the car moving, which is assault with a deadly weapon, and which does give LEOs the right to take the guy out.

It is funny some are defending a guy that was speeding through the streets at night at speeds over 100 MPH running away from police who, at first, were just trying to pull him over for erratic driving. The driver had no regard for human life, and it's proven by the fact he was doing all of this **** with an innocent passenger in the car, but we're worried about actions of the LEOs who could have easily been killed by this **** driving. Awesome.
    I think what they are questioning is the lethal force. Lethal force is not justified for just reckless driving. There must have been more....
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited November 2007
    my heart rate elevated just sitting on my **** watching that 4.5 minute video!! imagine what those officers go through every effin day:eek: hats off to the cops! just don't give me a ticket;)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    I think what they are questioning is the lethal force. Lethal force is not justified for just reckless driving. There must have been more....

That was my point. Based on what I saw on that video I would want to know exactly what povocated the lethal force. Every time this happens and it comes out that the officers may have been overzealous it makes it that much harder for them to continue to do their job properly. There are reasons that many police forces have a "do not pursue" policy unless they have good information that the driver is a felon or has committed a serious crime, etc..
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007

Driving at an officer is considered reckless driving in Florida?
    Blue Ash police said they shot and killed a man early Tuesday after he tried to run over officers following a high-speed chase in the suburban city just northeast of Cincinnati.

Blue Ash police Capt. James **** said officers had no choice, because the car was being used as a weapon.

The chase began shortly after midnight when police tried to stop a car being driven erratically near a high school. Police said the car had been reported stolen.

Police said the car collided with a police cruiser, then accelerated when two officers approached on foot. The vehicle then hit another cruiser.

The slain man was identified as Charles Bennett, 37, of Blue Ash.

One officer was treated and released at the hospital, and the other was treated at the scene.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007

F&ck YES, at least my IMHO.

BTW I ask Saturday night as I have a dinner night with a State Police heavy weight.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    F&ck YES, at least my IMHO.

BTW I ask Saturday night as I have a dinner night with a State Police heavy weight.

Sucks for the LEOs in your state. Here it's considered assault with a deadly weapon.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    Well Ok you got me thinking now, but a good question to ask.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    I think this man wanted 'suicide by cops', nobody in their right mind would hit the gas after a cop jumps on your hood pointing a gun at you.

Edit: Changed 'kid' to 'man'
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    Agree ^^

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007

That's not what I said. I meant that barring aggravated assault with a motor vehicle the act of reckless driving in and of itself does not justify lethal force.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    That's not what I said. I meant that barring aggravated assault with a motor vehicle the act of reckless driving in and of itself does not justify lethal force.

Oh, I know, but I also never said reckless driving justified lethal force. ;)
    I think this kid wanted 'suicide by cops', nobody in their right mind would hit the gas after a cop jumps on your hood pointing a gun at you.

It was a 37 year old man.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    Perhaps the passengers comments in a video can close the discussion down, since he says that the driver was trying to run cops over, which is when they started firing....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bt6mONKhu7g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bt6mONKhu7g&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

0:55 is the key point to watch.
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2007
    It was a 37 year old man.

Fixed for ya!

I think this man wanted 'suicide by cops', nobody in their right mind would hit the gas after a cop jumps on your hood pointing a gun at you.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    Fixed for ya!

Yes, and they were firing at him before that point. I'm not sure anyone is in their right mind when bullets are flying towards them. Suicide by cop or not, I'm glad the piece of **** is dead.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    Yes, and they were firing at him before that point. I'm not sure anyone is in their right mind when bullets are flying towards them. Suicide by cop or not, I'm glad the piece of **** is dead.

I wonder if he was firing at him or the car initially. You cant see where his gun is pointed in relation to where the car is. He might have been trying to disable the car. If he wasnt, I could see where some might consider that excessive force. He had not tried to run over the officers at that point.

Having said that, he was running from the cops and driving recklessly in a neighborhood which could kill people and I personally see no reason why he couldnt have shot him in head right then...but thats just me.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2007
    This video was a nice departure from all the taser videos that have become so popular. Next time though, instead of six single shots, I'd like to see two tri-bursts.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    Body armor drill, two to the chest, one to the head. ;) I do have to say though, I'm glad the passenger wasn't injured.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007

I've been sitting reading this and am floored how some people are downing the LEOs which by all accounts is defending the perp. Unbelievable.
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2007
    I've been sitting reading this and am floored how some people are downing the LEOs which by all accounts is defending the perp. Unbelievable.

Who's downing the LEO's? Rosie?
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Who's downing the LEO's? Rosie?

That wouldn't be the least bit surprising and she would probably be yelling that the LEOs were homophobes.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    Here's the local news.

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/neighborhoods/blue_ash/story.aspx?content_id=4b0e49e2-a2bc-4742-aecf-757bb372f02d&rss=707

It says he tried to run over officers twice, and two officers were actually injured. From the moment the first cruiser hits the car, and the moment the video shows one officer in the hood, we are not seeing what happened.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007

I said that what was shown on the video didn't convince me that lethal force was necessary.

I was not downing the LEOs...but...I'm also not naive enought to believe that some don't go Rambo from time to time and use excessive force when it isn't called for. Most of the LEOs out there are well trained professionals that are truly in the profession to "protect and serve". Conversly, I know some LEOs that quite frankly...It scares the hell out of me that they carry guns and a badge.

If the guy needed to be stopped so be it...but anytime something like this happens it is never wrong to make sure it was absolutely necessary.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2007
    ...guess he shoulda stopped huh?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    shack wrote: »
    I said that what was shown on the video didn't convince me that lethal force was necessary.

I was not downing the LEOs...but...I'm also not naive enought to believe that some don't go Rambo from time to time and use excessive force when it isn't called for. Most of the LEOs out there are well trained professionals that are truly in the profession to "protect and serve". Conversly, I know some LEOs that quite frankly...It scares the hell out of me that they carry guns and a badge.

If the guy needed to be stopped so be it...but anytime something like this happens it is never wrong to make sure it was absolutely necessary.

Everytime it happens, it needs to be invested. In this case the guy was guilty if nothing else of endangering the lives of every human being on the route he chose to drive in excess of 100 mph.

I always admire the LEOs who are involved in such high speed chases or episodes where guns are involved how they overcome the rushes of adrenalin and epinephrine and employ their training. Every fiber of their being is screaming to react and they usually don't, I find that incredible and admirable.
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2007
    I wish the cops would do that some of these people swerving into my lane with their SUV's while they're yapping on the cell phone.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    Outstanding teamwork, safety and coordination by the PD in this case. They should feel proud that they did a great job and served their community well.

It's just an added bonus that there's one less car crook in EDIT: OH and the roads are much safer for the community because this fool can't endanger the lives of citizens and police officers from 6 feet under.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »

It's just an added bonus that there's one less car crook in FL

You mean OH.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    Hehe. [whoops] Yeah dog, I mean OH.

My bad.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~