Routers, Routers....Which to choose?

2»

Comments

• bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2007
    Actually data is delivered by MAC address not IP address..
    ben62670 wrote: »
    NAT Chip
    Routers route. They process web request, and send them to the appropriate IP within the LAN. Yes my computer sucks, and all my customers computers suck. Especially the customers that own Linkstink routers.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited November 2007
    Ok...Now I'm really confused.

Linksys wireless from modem, to Netgear with WDS? Netgear to xbox and xa1 via LAN line?

How many LAN ports does the WDS Netgear have? I would need at least 2. 1 for xbox and another for XA1.

And this would mean that my other 2 pc's and 360 would have to be wireless. Connected to wireless Linksys. Right?

But it looks like to keep things simple and less expensive, I would need to go all wired or all wireless.

I think I'll just start running cable....lol

Any good ideas on some good inexpensive and long LAN cable?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    This is what you mean...

WDS
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited November 2007
    The Linksys is 2.4ghz, wouldnt this mess with my 2.4ghz phones or vice versa?

Also I see it has wired ports also, so I can use wired and wireless both?

Linksys

Also..I think Walmart is cheaper on this item.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2007
    Ok, alot of the techy geek talk is confusing you and is not needed in your case.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

The Linksys router is connected to your modem via a LAN cable. On back of the router is a built in 4 port switch (some routers don't have a built in switch, but we won't go there) which is where you plug in devices with a LAN cable. You can also run wireless devices while other devices are plugged in.

You're obviously trying to stay within a budget, so, YES you can get away with only the WRT54G. You will have to run cables to the devices though which sucks, but it will keep your budget down.

I have an early model WRT54G and it has not let me down one single time. Linksys (owned by Cisco) has my vote.

John
    No excuses!
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Newegg has great reviews on Linksys.

What was confusing me , was the fact that my cable modem cannot have 2 seperate connections at one time (USB and LAN), but i understand now that the Linksys can put out LAN AND wireless at the same time. I just thought it had to be one or the other, unless additional adapters were purchased.

The WRT54G, is just what I need. I can run cable to my Xbox and XA1 and main PC, and go wireless to 2hd PC and 360. So I would only have to buy to additional wireless adapters for 2nd PC and 360.

Thats within my buget and should work just fine. Right?

NOw on to LAN cables. Should I make my own or would it be wise and cost effective to buy legnthy cable already to go?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    Get a Linksys. Great routers.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2007
    I have a Linksys and have never had any problems. Seep is no slower then the wired computer.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Thanks all .....

Picking this one up tonight or tomorrow..

Linksys

..I hope it does ok for gaming.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• buzzy_
    buzzy_ Posts: 4
    edited November 2007
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited November 2007
    All of the home routers are about the same. Linksys is pretty good, but I wouldn't let the Cisco Sytems label fool you into thinking you are getting the same quality as real Cisco hardware.
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    I see audiobliss is having problems with his Linksys, but it must be an older one.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited November 2007
    Also understand that it may not be his router, could be a dropped signal from his ISP. I have one that has been running 24/7 for going on 5 years and haven't had any problems yet. It just sits behind a dresser in our bedroom collecting dust and providing me with trouble free internet. Just get what you are comfortable with and what works best for you based on what you have read for reliability and price point. Everyone has issues with different brands for various reasons so it's kind of a toss up.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Cool deal Ed. Going get the wrt54g today. Wolly world has it cheaper than newegg.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    Cool deal Ed. Going get the wrt54g today. Wolly world has it cheaper than newegg.

Great choice, dont' need to reset often like netgear and strong signals. make sure to connect to games with cable/LAN connections. LAN has better data flow and some wireless phones might interrupt the connections that you don't want to happen while you playing game online.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    edbert wrote: »
    Also understand that it may not be his router, could be a dropped signal from his ISP. I have one that has been running 24/7 for going on 5 years and haven't had any problems yet. It just sits behind a dresser in our bedroom collecting dust and providing me with trouble free internet. Just get what you are comfortable with and what works best for you based on what you have read for reliability and price point. Everyone has issues with different brands for various reasons so it's kind of a toss up.

I agree the hub may not be the issue, the modem or anything about you could be. Not that $60 bucks or so may kill you, I'm just not sure if that will help. Perhaps you should bypass this hub first, so your computer is plug directly into the modem.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Strong Bad
    edited November 2007
    Thanks all .....

Picking this one up tonight or tomorrow..

Linksys

..I hope it does ok for gaming.

Good choice! The interactive CD they send with it to help set up is pretty good.

Rock on!

John
    No excuses!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    My Apple Airport Extreme was really nice and fast. I had absolutely no hiccoughs with it while streaming to my Squeezebox and surfing the web simultaneously. (It works with PCs too;))
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited November 2007
    Here's the list of routers approved for XBOX Live. To help reduce headaches I would highly recommend you get one on this list:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/homenetworking/equipment.htm

The WRT54G is on there, but only versions 1, 2 and 3. Might have to break open the box to check the version.

The reason microsoft came up with a list of approved routers is to make sure that you could open the box, plug it in and not have any setup issues. The NAT performed by these routers jives with how MS designed their network so that you don't have to set up port-forwarding or place your xbox in the DMZ to communicate correctly with others on the network. "Believe me now and hear me later", you can definitely have problems with other routers. Some routers not on the list will still work if the xbox is placed outside the firewall (DMZ), but I've seen some that won't no matter what you do.

Your router's NAT will determine whom you can connect to on xbox Live. On the Xbox dashboard under (I think) setup -> networking you can run a test that will tell you if your NAT is "Open", "Moderate", or "Strict". See this page for an explanation of the test and what it means.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/troubleshootliveconnection-testnat.htm

If your test shows open, you can connect to everyone... no worries. If it shows strict, you can only connect to live users with open. If moderate, you can connect to users with open and moderate. See the attached NAT table.

Just my $.02. Hope it helps someone avoid my struggles.

Daniel
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Thanks Daniel, great info.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited November 2007
    dont buy a router, you dont need to route anything

you need a switch

buy a 3COM or maybe a lynksis.
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited November 2007
    A router will let him share an internet connection between the xbox and two PC's since it's a gateway whereas a switch cannot act as a gateway by itself. A router adds a firewall which is nice for added security, no firewall with a switch. I'm also not aware of any wireless switches out there designed for home networking, if wireless is desired in his setup. I'd choose a router over a switch any day in this case for ease of use, flexibility and security especially when cost is not much different at all.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Barnestormer
    Barnestormer Posts: 27
    edited November 2007
    I have a Linksys wireless router which also has 5 hardwired ports. Been running this for a couple years with no issue. From digital cable modem through CAT5 to 'Internet' port on Router. From there 2 CAT5 ports goes to stereo cabinet. (I utilize 'splitters' from Cyberguys to use all 8 wires in the CAT5 run and connect both DirectTV and Denon units into network)
    One port goes to wife's computer downstairs and one port goes to a hub in my office which has three machines connected to it.
    I use the 'wireless' connectivity mainly when I'm surfing on the laptop in front of the TV or have guests over that need connectivity.

I'm a fan of wires for my computer network, no matter how good the technology gets wireless - wires will always be further ahead.

On a side note: Interesting to hear the comments about Linksys, I've never had issues with them - but also take cooling seriously so maybe I just got lucky.
    Eric 'Barnestormer' Barnes

Rollover Ratio - .5:2 :confused:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    Kinetic wrote: »

you need a switch

Of course he needs to route things. Either that or he has to make his computer into a gateway server so everything on his home network can talk to the outside network.

Beyond that, he wants some wireless; good luck finding a wireless switch that isn't a router.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    A switch would not allow everything to operate at the same time. So the router is the way to go..

I have decided on the Linksys (wired) with my second PC wireless...

Thanks all
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited November 2007
    Sure it would. That's what a switch does. Same as a hub but it breaks up collision domains and allows full duplex. Those ports on a home router are switch ports. But a router is the way to go if you don't already have a hardware firewall. Which everybody should have. I think most of the ADSL boxes have that built in these days.
  • Strong Bad
    edited November 2007
    Kinetic wrote: »

you need a switch

Not sure how you came to this conclusion, but YES, everyone with highspeed broadband should absolutely have a router. Even a single PC with nothing else connected should have a router.

The firewall alone is worth it!

Bad idea not to have one.

John
    No excuses!
  • Strong Bad
    edited November 2007
    A switch would not allow everything to operate at the same time. So the router is the way to go..

I have decided on the Linksys (wired) with my second PC wireless...

Thanks all

A switch would allow multiple PC's and devices to connect and operate at the same time. You could have, say, a 12 port switch with 12 PC's connected and operating at the same time. You could do a big LAN war (gaming) and such on this network. You can't however, get out to the internet.

Thats the job of the router. To route you between networks. Do an IPCONFIG using the command prompt. See the entry for Default Gateway? Thats the IP address of the router. That is it's internal interface address that allows internal clients to know where to send info when they want to get out to the web (or other networks).

The Linksys WRT54G (and other similar home routers) are a combination of a router and 4 port switch. Those 4 ports on the back are the switch.

Make things clearer?

John
    No excuses!
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited November 2007
    Linksys Are the BEST all the major companys use them and so should you best built in safty features pluse easy to setup.

I agree that a Linksys is probably the best choice for home use. I personally use a Netgear that works fine if you don't want to use WPA/WPA2. However, I don't know of any major company that uses Linksys wireless equipment. Now with that said, Linksys' parent company, Cisco, owns the corporate WLAN market at this time.