Routers, Routers....Which to choose?

jakelm
jakelm Posts: 4,081
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok. Main PC, sitting right next to modem, xbox360 15' away, xbox 15' away and second PC 30' away.

Which route to go on the router? Wireless would be nice, but not at the expense of slow connection. My connection is great right now, how much upload/download speed is lost with router?

Linksys? Netgear? Belkin?

Card adapter or usb adapter?

I know enough about computers to build my own, and repair just about any problem, but havent a clue about networking (hmmm go figure). Any help would be appreciated.

Jake
Monitor 7b's front
Monitor 4's surround
Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
M10's back surround
Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
Harman/Kardon AVR-635
Oppo 981hd
Denon upconvert DVD player
Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
Mit RPTV WS-55513
Tosh HD-XA1
B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
Post edited by jakelm on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    This is personal experience only, but I've had TERRIBLE luck with Belkin (2 just stopped working while relatively new), so negative vote for them. I've had 3 Linksys routers and all have worked well. As for Netgear... I have some friends who have made it their personal mission to put that company out of business, they have had so mcuh bad luck with every one of their products.

So my vote is for Linksys. They have the added ability of being able to use third-party firmware.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited November 2007
    Netgear wireless router for the laptops and netgear switch. I just bought a netgear 24 port switch and its simply awesome. Running most of my item through it, still have wireless if I want it for the laptops. Cant go wrong, and its so easy to use/install.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2007
    I'm a fan of Linksys. This would be my choice...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1148435315453&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=1545339789B02

Linksys also makes Wireless G game adaptor...

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416826619&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=2661940536B02

Considering that broadband connections range around 10mbps download and 780k - 1mbps upload, your 54mbps wireless link won't be the slow link.

USB adaptors for the desktops would be fine, but if you have space for an internal card, go for that.

Good luck!

John
    No excuses!
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    What am I looking at cost wise? Wireless with the wrt54g?

Should I go card or usb? One better than the other?

Also, I'm thinking of just going wired since xbox and XA1 are both LAN base connections. Cost would be much lower with wired also.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Strong Bad
    edited November 2007
    BTW, shop at Newegg.com for these items. Great service and good pricing. If mailorder is not your cup of tea, Bestbuy has a big selection, although costs more than Newegg. Jump on their websites and do some price shopping.

Setting up a home network like this will be fun. Enjoy!

John
    No excuses!
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Is mismatching hub and adapter a problem?

$48 for the wrt54g @ wolly world...
    But over $50 for Linksys card adapters...
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited November 2007
    I dont want to go wireless if its going to cost me $200-$300. And have to buy one hundred dollar wireless adapters for xbox and 360. Wen I guess I can just get a 6 channel or so wired router. And start running cable.

This is very confusing.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Strong Bad
    edited November 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    Is mismatching hub and adapter a problem?

$48 for the wrt54g @ wolly world...
    But over $50 for Linksys card adapters...

The WRT54G is a champ of a router! I've had the same one for several years with ZERO issues.

You can get other manufacturer cards, just be sure they are wireless G. Stick with a well known brand.

Do you have the option of running an ethernet cable to your gaming room (if the router is in a different location)? You could run 1 cable and switch it to the gaming console you would be using at that time.

Sounds like you're budget crunched, so think about running cables for the other desktops.

John
    No excuses!
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    This gives you all a good idea what kind of speed I have....

I wouldnt want to loose...if anything I would like to increase...
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Strong Bad
    edited November 2007
    I dont want to go wireless if its going to cost me $200-$300. And have to buy one hundred dollar wireless adapters for xbox and 360. Wen I guess I can just get a 6 channel or so wired router. And start running cable.

This is very confusing.

Gets pretty expensive when you're hooked to internet gaming with multiple consoles! Wireless or wired....make the choice.

Where are the gaming consoles and where are the PC's? All same room, seperate rooms?

Main PC is a no brainer, wire it since it will sit in the same room with the router and modem.

John
    No excuses!
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    The WRT54G is a champ of a router! I've had the same one for several years with ZERO issues.

You can get other manufacturer cards, just be sure they are wireless G. Stick with a well known brand.

Do you have the option of running an ethernet cable to your gaming room (if the router is in a different location)? You could run 1 cable and switch it to the gaming console you would be using at that time.

Sounds like you're budget crunched, so think about running cables for the other desktops.

John

Talking about a router that does wireless and wired? Which one does that?

I would like one that would give be a couple of wired connection and a couple of wireless. That would be perfect.

Than I could go wired to main PC and xbox or XA1-HD, then wireless to son's PC, since thats across half the house.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Gets pretty expensive when you're hooked to internet gaming with multiple consoles! Wireless or wired....make the choice.

Where are the gaming consoles and where are the PC's? All same room, seperate rooms?

Main PC is a no brainer, wire it since it will sit in the same room with the router and modem.

John

xbox , Toshiba XA1 and main PC in same room, main PC, right next to modem, xbox and XA1 are about 15' away from modem. 360 and second PC in seperate room.

And the idea of having another standout adapter (seperate peice of equipment) for XA1, 360 and Xbox , wont float my wife's boat. So I guess my only other choice is wired. So which wired router would have enough ports and would be worth owning?

But Cox modem doesnt have multiple outputs, so i would have to go from modem to router then all components. I dont know of a router that has both wired and wireless.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Strong Bad
    edited November 2007
    This gives you all a good idea what kind of speed I have....

I wouldnt want to loose...if anything I would like to increase...

The only thing that would kill your speed is if someone is on each PC surfing the web while you're trying to game over the internet. Everyone will be sharing the connection and hogging it. The bottleneck won't be the router, it will be your broadband connection.

When you want to game, tell everyone to stay off the web!

Want to increase your speed, call Cox Cable and pay to increase your bandwidth. The router won't make it faster.

John
    No excuses!
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Want to increase your speed, call Cox Cable and pay to increase your bandwidth. The router won't make it faster.

John

Been there, done that, I'm at the highest bandwidth Cox has to offer, and paying for it too...

The Linksys with speedbooster, is what? Actually increases speed or just organizes info transfer better?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Strong Bad
    edited November 2007
    xbox and main PC in same room, main PC, right next to modem, xbox is about 15' away from modem. 360 and second PC in seperate room.

But Cox modem doesnt have multiple outputs, so i would have to go from modem to router then all components. I dont know of a router that has both wired and wireless.

Wire both devices in the same room as modem. Thats easy.

The 360 and 2nd PC, you could perhaps get a small switch from Linksys and place it in that room. Run 1 cable from router to the switch, then run cables from switch to 2nd PC and 360.

The Cox modem should have a single ethernet port on the back. You run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router, then cables from router out to devices.

A small 4 port wired switch from Linksys should be cheap. Check Newegg.

John
    No excuses!
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Thanks SB....

This Netgear looks pretty inexpensive. But still about the same price as wireless.... I would have thought wireless was much more expensive...But compared to the Linksys it only $10 cheaper... I guess the price come in the adapters

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470125

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2304412
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited November 2007
    Linksys not problem at all. Wii hooked up right away. Netgear gave me too much trouble.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited November 2007
    Another nod to Linksys. I have one of their wireless G series, and it was incredibly easy to get up and running.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    Linkstinks sucks donkey. Every time I have a customer call with an internet problem, and I ask if they are using a router 9 out of 10 times it is a Linkstink. Their NAT chips run hot, and die. The router gives out all the right numbers in ipconfig, or what ever you use to check your computers connection. I use Netgears. Very simple setup, and very reliable.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2007
    +1 for linksys wrt54g.. you can even get into custom firmware later.. dd-wrt is one... I would leave all your stuff wired for now and get adapters as you find good deals...
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited November 2007
    Just buy a linksys router... And just stick with G speed or lower, that way you won't have any problems...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Every time I have a customer call with an internet problem, and I ask if they are using a router 9 out of 10 times it is a Linkstink.

Maybe cuz 9 out of 10 routers out there are Linksys?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for all your help guys. I think I will go wired, for the sake of xbox, 360 and XA1. Then maybe later on go wireless.

I will see shop prices and see which is a better buy, Linksys or Netgear. I am very familliar with Netgear's ethernet cards. Very reliable and software for them is easily accessable. I am not too familliar with Linksys.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• ben62670
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Maybe cuz 9 out of 10 routers out there are Linksys?

Yes there are many Linkstinks out there. I do take that into consideration, but Linkstinks suck donkey. I have a Computer Repair and Networking company with over 500 clients. The nat chips run hot,and die. If you must use Linkstink, or already have Linkstink do not keep it where it gets hot. Like on other components, near any heat sources. Also after doing computer work for many years the Linkstinks do have good throughput for downloading, but page loading is slower than the neatgears.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • bruss
    edited November 2007
    lol wtf does pageloading have to do with a router.. Its a layer 3 device. Hes just passing packets out to all the mac addrs.. Maybe your computer sucks?
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Yes there are many Linkstinks out there. I do take that into consideration, but Linkstinks suck donkey. I have a Computer Repair and Networking company with over 500 clients. The nat chips run hot,and die. If you must use Linkstink, or already have Linkstink do not keep it where it gets hot. Like on other components, near any heat sources. Also after doing computer work for many years the Linkstinks do have good throughput for downloading, but page loading is slower than the neatgears.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2007
    Linksys Are the BEST all the major companys use them and so should you best built in safty features pluse easy to setup.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    I'd recommend something from Cisco. Nothing but the best :)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited November 2007
    Personally, Milwaukee 3.5 horsepower fixed base production router. You can rout the hell out of some cabinetry with that sucka'. I keed, I keeed.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • ben62670
    edited November 2007
    bruss wrote: »
    lol wtf does pageloading have to do with a router.. Its a layer 3 device. Hes just passing packets out to all the mac addrs.. Maybe your computer sucks?

NAT Chip
    Routers route. They process web request, and send them to the appropriate IP within the LAN. Yes my computer sucks, and all my customers computers suck. Especially the customers that own Linkstink routers.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • bruss
    edited November 2007
    my point is it woulddnt be limited to only one application(http,https)..

which one is the "nat chip" seriously this is the first i have ever heard this one

SetAsideDaugterCard.jpg