Polk DB vs Polk Momo

2»

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    And having everything of the same brand is just limiting how good your car really could sound.
    -Cody
    Pre-zactly!

I would want Polk, Focal, Morel, CDT, Rainbow, etc for speakers, personally. MB Quartz would be nice, too...but they're not much of an option anymore. :(
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    I wouldnt want CDT, but thats just me :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    No big on CDT much either. Never have liked the way they sounded.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited November 2007
    if you wanna do all the same brand, you can do that with Polks too and not have to sacrifice the sound we all know and love :)
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited November 2007
    i like to have all of the same brand, but its just a personal thing

my idea for next year is have the comps and the sub Polk SR, i think its a good idea, none of those components are bad at all.
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited November 2007
    Well I'm surprised that I didn't get the bashing I was expecting to get LOL. I'm honestly a seasoned rookie in car audio. I have heard some good sounding cars but never one of my own. Pretty much I've only been exposed to Alpine, Polk, Kicker, Rockford, JL Audio, JBL and MTX. But for some reason I've always wanted to do all the same brand of audio in my own car.
  • Phil0411
    Phil0411 Posts: 2
    edited November 2007
    All of this debate and still not one person has addressed or answered my first question.
    Installed in 2005 Toyota Tundra DC:
    Replaced all factory JBL with:
    Pioneer AVIC-D3 GPS HU
    Polk Audio C400.4 Amp powering all four doors
    Polk Audio DB6750 components - f/doors
    Polk Audio DB1000 tweeters - f/pillars
    Polk Audio DB675 coaxials - r/doors
    Memphis Audio tweeters - r/pillars
    Polk MM 8" sub - mounted in Bazooka tube 100watt
    Bazooka/Toyota VSE sub in under seat compartment
    Aura Pro Bass shakers bolted to floor under front seats powered by Pheonix 75per RMS
  • exalted512
    edited November 2007
    Well I'm surprised that I didn't get the bashing I was expecting to get LOL. I'm honestly a seasoned rookie in car audio. I have heard some good sounding cars but never one of my own. Pretty much I've only been exposed to Alpine, Polk, Kicker, Rockford, JL Audio, JBL and MTX. But for some reason I've always wanted to do all the same brand of audio in my own car.

This isnt www.caraudioforum.com, were not here to bash, were here to steer you in the right direction. Like I said, going with one brand really just limits what youre car is capable of sounding like. The phrase jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Phil0411 wrote: »
    All of this debate and still not one person has addressed or answered my first question.

Go listen to them. Its hard to tell you what they sound like. The Momos are better speakers and will sound better. And yes I think theyre worth the extra money - but I believe as a rule that you should spend as much as you possibly can on speakers. They are the most important part of your system so get the best set you can.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Kinetic
    edited November 2007
    Mc and about the SRs do you think that those are better than the boston Acoustics too?
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    This isnt www.caraudioforum.com, were not here to bash, were here to steer you in the right direction.

Hey- that's uncalled for...some of us belong to both forums :eek: (and some of us even went as far as to give you positive rep over there :p).

I think I've seen 3-4 people on CAF who are also members here. There is some mindless bashing at CAF, but also some very knowledgeable people. You have to separate the good from the bad as they have a way of attracting the odd psycho over there, hence the "rep" system.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Kinetic wrote: »
    Mc and about the SRs do you think that those are better than the boston Acoustics too?

Definitely. The only speaker Ive ever liked from Boston is the Pro line. All the others, especially the Z, were way too bright for me. They sound like Infinity's to me.

• exalted512
    edited November 2007
    Hey- that's uncalled for...some of us belong to both forums :eek: (and some of us even went as far as to give you positive rep over there :p).

I think I've seen 3-4 people on CAF who are also members here. There is some mindless bashing at CAF, but also some very knowledgeable people. You have to separate the good from the bad as they have a way of attracting the odd psycho over there, hence the "rep" system.

I'm a part of CAF as well:p

I stopped posting there a while back because the "mindless bashers" started way over whelming the "knowledgeable people"
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited November 2007
    <----Better than vv
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Margaret.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Chwnn255
    Chwnn255 Posts: 24
    edited November 2007
    Gentlemen... Absolutely a terrific site! I have been all over it for the past few days and it's one of the best I've been on. Kudos...

Question: Need some product and install advice/help on a 2003 Yukon XL SLT I am replacing ALL Bose/"Blows" OE with aftermarket toys. Here's the toys I have so far... all are ready to go for install.

1. Kenwood DNX 7100 (got this mainly for the Garmin Nav doesn't require a disc)
    2. Directed Audio D2205 AMP - 5 channel ESP Hybrid 2200 watts Max
    3. Polk Audio MOMO C400.4 AMP - 975 watta MAX
    4. Polk Audio SR6500 Front ...AND Rear!
    5. PAC SWI-JACK Steering wheel controls (top retain existing wheel functions)
    6. 170 deg Rear Backup Lincense Plate camera with IR
    7. Sirius SC-C1 - Sirius satellite programmable tuner & antenna
    8. Kenwood KCA-SR50 - Kenwood Sirius adaptor
    9. Kenwood KCA BT100 - Kenwood Bluetooth adaptor
    10. Kenwood KCA iP200 - Kenwood AUX adapter plug/cable
    11. Viper XV 160 Remote start
    12. GM DD kit for mounting/installtion of aftermarket HU's
    13. Metra VT-GMOS-04 GM Class II Data bus Interface - Retains factory chimes, functionality, etc when replacing HU.
    14. 50 Sq Ft of Dynamat FatMat Auto sound deadener for doors and..????
    15. Sub ... this is still an open item and leads me to my first question...well

...several questions:

1. What the he** do I do for a subwoofer and still retain a factory look and storage space? I've looked at JL Audio's Stealthbox ($699 + install ...ouch!), MTX Audio's Thunderform (MTX isn't up to snuff music-wise...or are they?... with my other equipment so $299 + new sub speaker + install... ouch again!), and SuperCrew's under the rear seat box won't work 'cause I've got Captains seats in the 2nd row. HELP! Would LLooovvvve to figure out how to utilize the driver's side rear storage back panel which means I'm leaning the MTX route ...any suggestions? Would be happy with 8" or 10" sub... however a Polk Audio SR124-DVC 12" would be ideal! (it's Top Mount Depth is 19.30 cm or about 7 9/16")
    2. I bought two Amps to see which one would sound the best... the one from Polk will probably win out, but the Directed Audio Amp is a bad boy when it comes to programmability, controls, flexibility... basically geek-factor stuff. What is your opinion(s)?
    3. Do I need a 2nd battery and all the relays, capacitors, fuse boxes, etc. if I only run this setup while driving 99% of the time?? Or just an uprgraded alternator or is that even overkill? I'm a Regional Manager and travel 18 states so I spend a huge amount of time in my ride each week.
    4. Am I missing anything? I'm trying to go for a first class setup without being stupid with my hard earned cash ...like buying all McIntosh equpiment ($11,000.00 for what I have) and Morel speakers ($2995 for a pair). Or silly looking 'cause I take clients out all the time.

I know this was long, but I am ready to get these toys installed next week and the guys I'm gonna have do it aren't cheap and need EVERYTHING all at once... which makes sense. So anyone's experience/help/advice would be appreciated.

Chwnn255 says... thank you!
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    1. What the he** do I do for a subwoofer and still retain a factory look and storage space? I've looked at JL Audio's Stealthbox ($699 + install ...ouch!), MTX Audio's Thunderform (MTX isn't up to snuff music-wise...or are they?... with my other equipment so $299 + new sub speaker + install... ouch again!), and SuperCrew's under the rear seat box won't work 'cause I've got Captains seats in the 2nd row. HELP! Would LLooovvvve to figure out how to utilize the driver's side rear storage back panel which means I'm leaning the MTX route ...any suggestions? Would be happy with 8" or 10" sub... however a Polk Audio SR124-DVC 12" would be ideal! (it's Top Mount Depth is 19.30 cm or about 7 9/16")

Nothing wrong with MTX at all. That Thunderform aint a bad way to go. The JL Audio is expensive but it is also the best built, will perfectly fit your ride and sound really good. The only other alternatives is to build the box yourself.
    2. I bought two Amps to see which one would sound the best... the one from Polk will probably win out, but the Directed Audio Amp is a bad boy when it comes to programmability, controls, flexibility... basically geek-factor stuff. What is your opinion(s)?

Nothing wrong with either of those amps. You can run the whole system off the 5 channel if you like. The best performance option would be to sell the Directed and buy a Polk 500.1 This would give you more power for the sub and the speakers.
    3. Do I need a 2nd battery and all the relays, capacitors, fuse boxes, etc. if I only run this setup while driving 99% of the time?? Or just an uprgraded alternator or is that even overkill? I'm a Regional Manager and travel 18 states so I spend a huge amount of time in my ride each week.

No. So long as youre only listening to music and not playing bass sine bombs trying to piss of the neighbors or using a 5000 watt system, the stock charging system will be just fine. The Yukon charging system is pretty stout anyway so dont worry about it. And you dont need a cap either.
    4. Am I missing anything? I'm trying to go for a first class setup without being stupid with my hard earned cash ...like buying all McIntosh equpiment ($11,000.00 for what I have) and Morel speakers ($2995 for a pair). Or silly looking 'cause I take clients out all the time.

Looks good to me. Doesnt say which wiring youre going with as for power wires and RCA's and all that but just use a good quality brand. Dont go for the super expensive wire and cable. Any quality brand like Streetwires, Stinger or Tsunami will be just fine.

• Chwnn255
    edited November 2007
    MAC... Thank you sooo much for the help! I've spent the better part of $4500.00 just to get a very nice smooth system and it seems my home work has paid off. BTW... You're rep on here is impressive. I live in Murfreesboro, TN so getting to Chattanooga would be a 2 hr drive... more questions please be patient with me:

1. Do you do installs for $$$$$??
    2. Did I waste my money on the second set of SR6500's for the rears? I haven't even opened the 2nd box yet...should I return one set for a set of MOMO's or something cheaper and invest in those cables, or other toys? Or will the sound be too good to pass up? The money isn't that big a deal to me, butif I'm NOT going to HEAR the difference than... well heck an extra $300-400 clams is better than a swift kick in the nuts!
    3. It seems EVERY-frickin-body has an Alpine HU... The Kenwood DNX7100 was my choice mainly for a couple of reasons... #1 Garmin GPS (I travel 18 states and its the most accurate GPS available and my current Garmin unit ...a C330 model...gets used more than my cell phone!)... #2 No GPS disc to mess with...#3 all the add-ons work.. Bluetooth with my Treo 700w... iPod...Sirius...Wheel controls etc. I am not opposed to looking at an Alpine HU but will it give me PHENOMONALLY better music for giving up my beloved Garmin/NavTeq GPS?
    4. The Directed Amp had a lot of features that the Polk didn't and I figured I'd play around with all the dials, switches, programmable capabilites, to "learn/teach myself" what happens when I do "this" or "that". What about the Alpine PDX stuff???... better ? same as??? the Polk Amps?
    5. What else am I missing?

Thanks!
  • Kinetic
    edited November 2007
    First of all, im not an expert like Mac, actually I am a rookie too, trying to learn.

But I have an Alpine HU, and the Alpine PDX amp

The HU: The Alpine HU CDA-9887 with the Imprint processor (now available), its magnificent, i have another honda with another Alpine HU, ant the 9887 its way more better and its a wonderful piece of engeneering, i really love it, try to hear it on a car. Maybe there are better HUs, but for sure, this is the best i have ever heard.

The amp: I am happy with the amp, first becouse the SQ, is good, but the best is the size, its so so tiny, you dont realize, until you get it.
    but i havent use the polk amp.

but if i could made the amp choice again, i would choose the PDX-4.150, i have the PDX-4.100..

i have 100 RMS and sometimes i want a little bit more, and the PDX amp ussually is on 5/8 of gain.

greets
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Chwnn255
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I really looked long and hard at the Alpine PDX 4.150... THAT.. is a sweet pc!! However after buying not 1 but 2 sets of SR56500's... the Kewood DNX1700 AND wanting to get an enclosure for my sub (Stealthbox???, Thunderform???) to retain a factory look ...my original $3000.00 budget was blown sky high with all the add-ons I wanted like Bluetooth, Sirius, Wheel Controls, etc. AND I haven't even bought any wiring or my sub yet so I'm pushing 5 LARGE to get what I want. The Apline is spendy it would be a shame to hide it! IMO. I may end up there still, but I need to "catch my breath" with the cash and then look at it again after Santa stops by. This "hobby"...or is it an OBSESSION? ...has really gottne it's hooks into me and I'm really having a blast! Can't wait to hear these SR6500's in my Yukon! Micheal Buble... Dave Matthews... Nickelback here I come!
  • Chwnn255
    edited November 2007
    The biggest advantage technology-wise the Apline HU's seems to have over my Kenwood 7100 is the Digital Time Correction feature. How big a deal is this? Enough that you fellas wouldn't bother with the Kenwood ...OR... can I get the same thing with another pc of equipment or in the way I set my system up?

I've seen what the higher end Home Theater stuff can do when they have the microphone's included with the recievers and a setup CD to automatically setup your output levels, etc. Does anyone make something like this for car audio setup whether included w/ the HU or aftermarket?
  • Kinetic
    edited November 2007
    the imprint module, includes a mic to meassuere, and adjust the audio, please check this:
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/ETD/imprint.html

and the Time correction, well its nice, its not a big difference for me, I just feel the difference when the song have sounds that seems to go from one side to another.
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited November 2007
    For the money the pioneer premier prs components are the best value for the money. I'm thinking about doing a complete pioneer premier prs system. The pioneer premier components can be had for 250 bucks a steal for a set of components that sound that good.
  • RPGaines04
    RPGaines04 Posts: 9
    edited November 2007
    Chwnn255
    I live in Lavergne, TN, and I do installs... I'm pretty new to this board, but not at all new to car audio installing. If you like, send me a message through the board or e-mail me at RPGaines04@Yahoo.com. I'm sure we can work something out.

Ryan