Looking for GPS System

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I'm interested in purchasing an entry level GPS system for my car. I don't very much about these products, so I was hoping someone could provide some advice. I'd use it primarily for local travel.

Specifically, I'm looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PFA6PE/ref=wl_it_dp/002-4074285-3088843?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1Z1R3IPUVYJV8&colid=3ALDHEM2LTMUK

Is this a good deal?

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2007
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    I got that same one Bob. I like it as well. Thats a good price on the Magellan. Good features so I say go for it. I use mine every day and it helps alot in some of the rural areas I venture into.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Staples has been running time to time sales for a TomTom One for $180. Can't beat it for the price......and you can download dirty voices and voices that swear at you when you take a wrong turn.

:D
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    and you can download dirty voices and voices that swear at you when you take a wrong turn.

Oh Jesus, I'm already irrationally paranoid when I take a turn against the GPSs advice, I can't imagine if it swore at me.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    I have the Garmin 660

I would suggest the Garmin 330...I have researched alot before I got mine

Garmin is by far the best going, IMO
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2007
    I just purchased the TomTom One XL for the wife's new car. It's basically identical to the TomTom One but with a slightly larger widescreen. To me it is definitely worth the little extra cash for the widescreen. It makes using the QWERTY keyboard much easier. The standard screens are just too small IMO.

I can't imagine an easier to use system. Ready to use right out of the box.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2007
    I ended up purchasing a Garmin Nuvi 200W (widescreen version). It was basically a toss up between that one and the TomTom One XL.

I'll report back when I get it.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    If you have a laptop you can always just get Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS for about $100 and have a 15 or 17" screen sitting on your passenger seat that's just as functional if not easier to use considering you have a normal keyboard instead of having to type everything out on the little touchscreen........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    I ended up purchasing a Garmin Nuvi 200W (widescreen version). It was basically a toss up between that one and the TomTom One XL.

I'll report back when I get it.

That`s the one !
    The Garmin NUVI Series si what I have !
    You will like Garmin, I think !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    If you have a laptop you can always just get Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS for about $100 and have a 15 or 17" screen sitting on your passenger seat that's just as functional if not easier to use considering you have a normal keyboard instead of having to type everything out on the little touchscreen........

I used a setup like that for quite a few years, and always wondered why anyone would mess with the little ones....but I must say now that I've tried it, a dedicated unit such as a TomTom or Garmin is much more convenient. A laptop is just too big and burdensome. Now I don't have to look over at the passenger seat, and i don't have to deal with long boot up times or packing it up when I stop.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    I agree that it's a big burdensome due to it's size, but bootup from standby isn't that long........i mean, i can always start driving while it's starting up.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited December 2007
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I have a Mio Digiwalker I am quite happy with. The choice of map system is important for accuracy. The Mio uses Navteq maps, which are good. The Mio can be had for as little as $180 if you watch the sales.

I just got a Digiwalker C320 for Christmas and so far really like it. The screen is very clear and routes are calculated quickly. I'm amazed at how thin it is also.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited December 2007
    Buy a Garmin Nuvi 350 or better..
    My 60yo mother has one and even she can work it.. LoL
    Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited December 2007
    I've heard from dealers that their favorite is the tomtom 920. Does everything, calls out turns by street name, you can just say the address you want to go to rather than typing it in, and the map software is upgradable as new streets are added for free. On sale they run about $400, but that's not bad for what you get.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    If anyone has a Garmin and would like the Map Update 2008(North America), PM me and we'll get it into a rotation by mail.

If you've had your Garmin for <1 year this update is available to you for FREE. You must register your GPS at www.garmin.com
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited January 2008
    I think they even offer it for older players also. I have StreetPilot 2720 for a couple of years and registered and got the update disk last month.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2008
    Cool, I wasn't sure and only based that on my experience. I guess if you can't get it free, drop someone in here a line. Thanks Izafar :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2008
    izafar wrote: »
    I think they even offer it for older players also. I have StreetPilot 2720 for a couple of years and registered and got the update disk last month.
    Good job izafar! I have the 2720 also and think it's a great unit. The extra weight compared to a Nuvi is probably worth it for the additional features (and more robust/water resistant construction for Motorcycle use). I bring it on all my trips. I'll have to figure out how to get that update now (I'm pretty sure I'm already registered with Garmin).

P.S. Trubluluc did some good work on this topic recently http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60653
    Alea jacta est!
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Currently looking for a replacement for the Garmin 660. . .that some social misbreed decided to burgle out of my car. . . after smashing my window . . in my driveway. . .on Christmas. Welcome to the city, please give me your ****. I'm building a moat and getting some sharks with laser beams. That 200W is quality on the cheap. I may replace the $800 nuvi 660 with it. I never used the extra features, and I'm sure this won't be the last one that I lose to attrition or stupidity.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited January 2008
    Kex wrote: »
    Good job izafar! I have the 2720 also and think it's a great unit. The extra weight compared to a Nuvi is probably worth it for the additional features (and more robust/water resistant construction for Motorcycle use).

The weight + non slip bean bag base is wonderful. This thing hasn't moved a bit sitting on my dashboard in the last two years.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    Currently looking for a replacement for the Garmin 660. . .that some social misbreed decided to burgle out of my car. . . after smashing my window . . in my driveway. . .on Christmas. Welcome to the city, please give me your ****. I'm building a moat and getting some sharks with laser beams. That 200W is quality on the cheap. I may replace the $800 nuvi 660 with it. I never used the extra features, and I'm sure this won't be the last one that I lose to attrition or stupidity.
    What rotten luck! Sorry to hear that SK.

Why don't you replace it with a unit that uses the locking feature? Basically, you enter a PIN and after that, it will only start without the PIN at the home location. Any thief will find himself with a unit that cannot be unlocked except by sending it in to Garmin (with proof of purchase).

Read the thread from trubluluc too, he has some interesting suggestions.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    izafar wrote: »
    The weight + non slip bean bag base is wonderful. This thing hasn't moved a bit sitting on my dashboard in the last two years.
    The friction mount is great. So good in fact, that when I gave a Nuvi to a friend for Christmas, I bought them the friction mount too. Here in California we are not allowed to use windshield mounts BTW (although I don't know if that law is enforced rigidly or not - whether you would get a ticket for disregarding it, that is).
    Alea jacta est!
  • polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited January 2008
    How long did it take to get the Garmin update in? I did all the registration about 3 weeks ago, but I never received an email confirmation or anything like that. I don't know if it is on the way or if I fouled up the registration process.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2008
    A long time....be patient, it will show up.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Kex wrote: »
    What rotten luck! Sorry to hear that SK.

Why don't you replace it with a unit that uses the locking feature? Basically, you enter a PIN and after that, it will only start without the PIN at the home location. Any thief will find himself with a unit that cannot be unlocked except by sending it in to Garmin (with proof of purchase).

Read the thread from trubluluc too, he has some interesting suggestions.

Thanks, Kex. It's been an epidemic in urban areas. People looking to 'get paid', come here from other areas, and go shopping. I hate feeling that I did something wrong by not setting the lock code, and leaving it in the vehicle on Christmas. People just need to leave other peoples **** alone. I heard two thumps around 1am, and went out to look. There were three guys in what looked to be an Escalade, but my car looked ok, and I assumed they were coming from the party on the corner. Benefit of the doubt on Christmas. I'm kicking myself for that too. I saw auto glass on three other streets that day.

Bottom line: Hide it, or bring it in your house. Having it locked only makes you feel a little better, but it won't stop the smash and grab crew. Some are even breaking the window if you have a mount visible.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Kex
    edited January 2008
    ... Bottom line: Hide it, or bring it in your house. Having it locked only makes you feel a little better, but it won't stop the smash and grab crew. Some are even breaking the window if you have a mount visible.
    I've heard that too. Apparently, in some places, people will smash just to get in and search a car that has only the marks on the windshield from the suction cup, in case the device is hidden in the vehicle! It's one of the reasons I've seen mentioned by Garmin users for using the friction mount even when it's not mandatory.
    Alea jacta est!