New 'retro styled' cars.....

2»

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    Now if they would just install a "tube" radio, life would really be retro!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited November 2007
    Agree totally with the Goat comments. They simply took an existing platform and tried to "sport it up". Same complaint I have with the new Dodge Charger. We had a 1970 R/T when I was a kid and have always loved the look. A car mag a few years ago had a teaser photo of a potential new Charger that was very good. Then after the Magnum was released (which I think has an excellent new look) they simply chopped the rear and made it the Charger. Rats. Didn't have anything that evoked the old.

Admittedly, I am sometimes torn about the retro versus new style syndrome. I like retro styling but sometimes you need to move/look forward versus simply redoing the past. New Mustang is pretty good, I like the new Challenger (probably because it and the Baracuda were always my favorite) but it is almost a complete copy and in the long run doesn't introduce anything new or unique in the styling. I think the Camaro is the best attempt at doing both so far in these new pony car battles. BTW, good couple of articles in Automobile magazine about the Trans-am pony cars and their short history from mid-60's to early 1970's.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited November 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Now if they would just install a "tube" radio, life would really be retro!

You mean like this Panasonic?

panasonic-CQ-TX5500D.jpg
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    capecodder wrote: »
    Then after the Magnum was released (which I think has an excellent new look) ...............
    I didn't know they did a restyle on the front end, but just looked on their website........now the magnum looks like it has the caliber front end..........not so much a fan personally.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    Talk about retro........My first car was a 1984 diesel chevy chevette that got 56 miles per gallon. My brother and I broke off the nameplate so it just said 'vette. Got pulled over going 82 in a 55 and the cop's exact quote was "It must have taken a lot of work to get this thing going 82! License and registration!" To be fair, I was going downhill and with the wind. :D

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Hahahaha!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    So riddle me this, why does the GTO look like a used bar of soap? One of the 'Kings' of the 60's muscle car era, and it gets a big ZERO in the style department. Does this bother anyone other than me?
    Cheers,
    Russ

Agree. Also, the Charger, although cool, look's nothing like a retro Charger..

I saw a new GTO the other day---it's strange...you hear this wonderful engine/exhaust note, then it looks like a "generic" pontiac. What a shame.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited November 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    I didn't know they did a restyle on the front end, but just looked on their website........now the magnum looks like it has the caliber front end..........not so much a fan personally.....

My reference to "new look" was when it first came out. Haven't seen its redo. Shame if they went backwards with it.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    I hadn't heard about a NEW redo of the GTO, so I just looked it up on the manufacturer's website.

After I finally realized why I couldn't find anything about it at chevy.com.....:rolleyes:

I then started wondering why there's nothing about it on pontiac.com, either...

And google brings up just waaay too many different versions of 'new' GTO's. So, what exactly are we all talking about?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    2006 Pontiac GTO :

gto_2006.jpg
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited November 2007
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    You mean like this Panasonic?

panasonic-CQ-TX5500D.jpg

So cool. different

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    2006 Pontiac GTO.... yep... kind of looks like a Cavalier on steroids.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    Look like a every GrandAm from the past 10 years....with hood scoops.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    So riddle me this, why does the GTO look like a used bar of soap? One of the 'Kings' of the 60's muscle car era, and it gets a big ZERO in the style department. Does this bother anyone other than me?

Its because it wasn't intended to be a GTO. It is a rebadged Holden Monaro that has been made in Australia for a long time.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    Oh, so there aren't really any changes, then. That's the same ol' messed up GTO we've had. :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]