New 'retro styled' cars.....

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
So the new Mustang LOOKS like an old Mustang. The new Camaro will LOOK like an old Camaro. The new Challenger LOOKS like an old Challenger.

Even the PT and HHR (and others) have retro styling cues.

So riddle me this, why does the GTO look like a used bar of soap? One of the 'Kings' of the 60's muscle car era, and it gets a big ZERO in the style department. Does this bother anyone other than me?

Another bone to pick is the fact that these cars were offered in affordable models once upon a time. Prices that GI's and working men could afford. We all know that no longer holds true, short of some variations of the Stang. Now flipping through my favorite auto rag, the 'new' muscle might as well fall into the category with the unobtanium euro hotrods, Ferrari, Porsche, Alfa, et al..... I probably won't be driving one, unless I'm shopping the used market a decade from now and stumble into a stupid deal.

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited November 2007
    As you said, the Mustang's actually pretty reasonably priced.

No excuse for an ugly Goat... there's a guy at work with a ca. 1968 (educated guess), white GTO convertible. Nice looking car.

EDIT: For the record, I have made a pledge never to buy a car that cost more than our first house ($41k). Going to be nothing but used cars for me in the not too distant future...

Mrs. H has made no such pledge.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited November 2007
    Another bone to pick is the fact that these cars were offered in affordable models once upon a time.

I have a book somewhere that is a compilation of all muscle car ads during the 60's and early 70's. I remember one of the ads for a Dodge Dart that said something along the lines of "6000 rpm for under $3000 dollars"
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • edwardm10
    edwardm10 Posts: 104
    edited November 2007
    Couldn't agree more on the current GTO styling... talk about butt **** ugly!! GM should be embarrassed for putting a great nameplate on such an ugly design.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    Other embarrasing new models should include the Chevy Nova and Impala(You know the one...). They may not have been retro winners but to turn the Nova into a subcompact, hatchback is unreal.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    I too couldnt figure out the GTO's lack of styling. The 1970 Judge is one of the best looking cars in history so instead of modeling the new one by that they instead decide to use a 1998 Grand Am?!?!?!

No wonder GM is getting their asses kicked.

The new TA does look very promising tho, but they should take some styling cues from Dodge.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Agreed on the Nova, they should have just called it the Chevette. It would have been a lot more fitting.

MRH, I can't even fathom spending 41K on an automobile right now. Brandy, again, another story. She thinks she's getting a new Camaro when they come out. Magic 8 Ball says 'Yeah, right'.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    The Nova was a re-badged Corolla, built in Cali.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    The original Mitsubishi Lancer was a huge diservice to the heritage of that model. I laugh when I see the OZ Rally Edition. I'm suprised Nissan didn't rebadge a Sentra and call it the new Skyline. Thankfully both models eventually received some love.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Good one in the Lancer, totally different beasts. The EVO variations saved face finally.

Ford just recently un-f$%ked the Thunderbird. What an UGLY car for so many years.

V dub and Jeep seem to have their acts together, they still LOOK like VW's and Jeep's should look. Mini has made small cars cool again.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I too couldnt figure out the GTO's lack of styling. The 1970 Judge is one of the best looking cars in history so instead of modeling the new one by that they instead decide to use a 1998 Grand Am?!?!?!
    No wonder GM is getting their asses kicked.
    The new TA does look very promising tho, but they should take some styling cues from Dodge.

The 1966 GTO would do it for me....

The muscle car era started when they started putting real engines into stripped smaller cars.
    How many here would drive a car with manual locks,windows, mirrors, etc.
    Those cars even had radio delete plates.
    They could build it, but who would buy it?

I'll leave it to son #1 to buy one. He's talking about the new T/A if it comes out.
    He's owned several, including the classic Smokey and the bandit
    from the 70's. He's currently got a 2002 that was damn close to the last ever made.
    I'll stick to comfy. I don't feel like reliving my youth.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    How many here would drive a car with manual locks,windows, mirrors, etc.

Hand raised, feverishly waving in the air. :)
    I get what you're saying.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    I would love to feel the manual steering of an 1978 Datsun 280Z again.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    I have manual everythining my Jeep. Well, as far as seats, locks, windows, and mirrors go. Still have power steering and brakes. :)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »

No joke man. I didn't even mind the manual CHOKE on my Fiat Spider 750. Massive understeer. Tires couldn't have been 4 or 5 inches wide. 42 horse, 802cc 4cyl - rear engine, rear drive - buzzed over 4 grand on the tach at 70 mph, but OH so much fun to drive. In a nutshell, a street legal go-kart. Man and machine.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    Absolutely.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Not me. Parking in tight spots was a beehautch. Gave you a good workout, though.

Yeah, it bugs me too Russman. Rename the damn car, unless you are going to have the car live up to it's legacy. Chevette, you bet.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    I think its awesome to have a 'family car' styled GTO thatll put a 'muscle car' (mustang) in its place personally, but I can def. see your point. They shouldve called it something else.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited November 2007
    The new GTO might not have had the style but the 6 liter pretty much out performed the old GTOs in every category when it came to performance. So it was hardly a disgrace to the name.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    It was and is a disgrace.

Hot rod or not performance wise, the current issue GTO has NO stance.

None. Zip. Nada.
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited November 2007
    Well they stopped making it in 2006 so you don't have to worry anymore.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    No, I refuse to stop worrying about it. If anything, they are just mounting a HUGE backpeddle. They probably ceased production and started anew in anticipation of this VERY post.

I am right, they are wrong.

Bow down to me and my opinions, as they are well thought out, and generally smiled upon.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    as they are well thought out, and generally smiled upon.
    You been drinking again? :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    They tried to do with the new GTO what they did with the original in 1964. It wasn't a flashy car like the later ones, it was just a performance package for the Tempest. What they didn't realize is that nostalgia plays a large part in muscle car buying now, so everyone hated the look.

I personally don't like the new GTO look either, but I can appreciate their intent.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    I agree, Ford was spot on with the Mustang.....Dodge looks like it's going to have a winner with the Challenger (personally, I think the Charger is disappointing). GM, on the other hand (no offense, Ron) has stepped on it's dick with the GTO and I think is going to do it again with the Camaro. I'm sorry but it's fugly and IMHO, doesn't really invoke images of the late 60's Camaro. YMMV, but that's my take.

Another issue that torques me about the auto industry. In order to generate enthusiasm...auto makers have to look BACK 40 years. WTH? To me, that says a couple of things, American autos have largely sucked, specifically in terms of style, for almost half a decade. Which begs the question, why can't the big 3 come up with a new design that we want to lust after?

Yeah, and where is the car that we would love to drive AND can afford. I refuse to spend more than 30K on a car. Actually, 25K is my self imposed limit (Wendi's is FAR lower)....so, I'm looking used. I'm actually considering a 2005ish Saab convertible. I know, I know, I know.....I like Saabs. I always dug the old 900 series.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    Troy, I agree that the GTO is poorly named. What GM (Bob Lutz) did was take a nice rear-wheel-drive car made & distributed in Australia and bring it to the USA as an attempt to gain some sales away from Ford's Mustang. They gave it to Pontiac (GM's performance division) and slapped the old GTO name on it for marketing purposes.

Its not anything but an Australian designed vehicle with a USA nameplate.

Anyway, no offense taken, I work at Ford in their steering division. Though, I did spend 13 years at GM/Delphi.

The Mustang GT (and its variations) are the real thing when it comes to retro sports cars.

I do hope that GM comes up with a Camaro design that gets it back in the game though. Some nameplates simply shouldn't die (Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Etc). But, at the same time, the vehicle should be worthy of the history of its name.

As far as LUST is concerned, I sat in a 2008 Corvette the other day and LUST was definitely on my mind.

Finally, Saabs are very well-built (and quirky) little cars that definitely improve GM's lineup. Thankfully, GM hasn't yet ruined this Sweedish based car line. Personally, I do think they are a bit over-priced though. Mustang is a much better value.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2007
    Talk about manual everything, and distinctive (not always good) styling.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited November 2007
    Now you're talking my language, having to deal with Detroit automakers everyday it has become crystal clear why they have such a screwed up mess, they are from a different planet, they don't listen to reason, they have their own agenda of what the public needs.

On a side note I'll never forget dad coming home with this brand new 67 Chevelle Malibu that he paid $2,700 for and asking him why, for only 500 more we could have had a badass SuperSport with the big block.

Only a few years later I had the first of three 66 SS Chevelles that I owned in my school years.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited November 2007
    Talk about manual everything, and distinctive (not always good) styling.
    Is that TR-7 or a TR-8?
    Our neighbor recently had a TR-8 (the V-8 morph) for several years -- a midlife crisis thing, I think :-)

As to manual stuff on cars... I think my 2000 Ford Focus ZX-3 is ideally equipped, with power steering, brakes, and door locks (and cruise control), but a 5-speed manual and manual everything else. I like manual windows... they will work any time.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    Cmon man, the GTO wasnt that bad. granted, wrong car to label a gto since the appearance had little to nothing in common with the old gto, but a 6 litre engine at over 350 horses? that aint to bad at all. she was a tubby **** though weight wise.

I certainly would not have classified it as a family type car as someone did. back seat not too much more functional than that of my stang (can fit children AT BEST)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    The GTO looked like a modified cavalier........no thanks..........REGARDLESS of what's under the hood.........

I'm more for the new Camaro than what that thing turned into for it's final years. I had an '85 that was a piece of **** mechanically, but that thing was fun as hell to drive.....

I don't like the Charger/Challenger personally. I'm still planning at some point on getting the Chrysler 300........a badass blend of retro styling and contemporary luxuries.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.