justice is served finally to that awful church

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok. I don't want this to get out of hand, but i just thought this should be noted that the justice system does indeed work..

(CNN) -- A federal jury in Baltimore, Maryland, Wednesday awarded $10.9 million to a father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by members of a fundamentalist church carrying signs blaming soldiers' deaths on America's tolerance of homosexuals.

The family of Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder -- who was killed in a vehicle accident in Iraq's Anbar province in 2006 -- sued the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas, and its leaders for defamation, invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Church members showed up at Snyder's funeral chanting derogatory slogans and holding picket signs with messages including "God Hates ****."

They've picketed the funerals of dozens of troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, claiming that God is punishing the United States because of its tolerance for homosexuality.

Al Snyder, father of the slain Marine, said he considered filing the lawsuit for a long time before going forward and that he hoped the judgment would make it harder for the church to continue such protests.

"It's hard enough burying a 20-year-old son, much less having to deal with something like this," he said, recalling that some of the other signs at the funeral included "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "Thank God for IEDs.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited October 2007
    Bravo!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited November 2007
    The loss of $10.9 million dollars is going to put a real crimp in their Trailer Park Repavement fund.

I can't imagine where Matthew Snyder's father was able to find the self-control to sue these folks instead of slaughtering them like pigs.
    Sal Palooza
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited November 2007
    I didn't think people can be that shameless.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    Awesome.

Things like this restore my faith in humanity.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    So I highly doubt that any of the 'members' of that church combined are worth that much.........how does the guy really expect to collect? and if he can't, is the 'win' just a moral one (good thing, but just asking)............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited November 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    Al Snyder, father of the slain Marine, said he considered filing the lawsuit for a long time before going forward and that he hoped the judgment would make it harder for the church to continue such protests.

I don't think the father is after the money.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    of course he'll never see a penny of it.. or else the church may have to declare bankruptcy.. which would be ok too. I think it sends a clear message to other groups that out right hate like that won't be tolerated.

will it stop them from picketing? sadly no.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited November 2007
    That church is flat wrong. Did not Jesus want into the village where they were going to stone a woman and say: Those without sin throw the first stone.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    I'm kinda surprised there were never any criminal charges filed. Seems like a classic definition of a hate crime to me.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2007
    You'd think a crowd like that would be content to just lay around and pick nits off each others bodies all day.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    I just drove by the Phelps compound the other day. They have a big flag pole flying in their yard with the American flag upside down, and a huge banner across their house for their God hates America web site.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited November 2007
    I wonder what goes on in the minds of the westboro church?

How did they get that way?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    I wonder what goes on in the minds of the westboro church?

How did they get that way?

Here's a lot of the history.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited November 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    I just drove by the Phelps compound the other day. They have a big flag pole flying in their yard with the American flag upside down, and a huge banner across their house for their God hates America web site.

That illegal to do that with the Flag I believe. I believe it's a Federal crime.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised there were never any criminal charges filed. Seems like a classic definition of a hate crime to me.

I dont think protesting is a crime...?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    I honestly dont know how these people are still alive??? Man, stuff like that pisses me off to no extent.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007

at least next time you drive by, you know that compound's gonna have a 10 million dollar lien on it. sweet :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited November 2007
    Here's a lot of the history.

That story is horrific.

The father Pheps is a combination disbarred lawyer, preacher and vacuum cleaner salesman who beats his children, all 13 of them and his wife.

Maybe the IRS should investigate his church status.

They are Addicted to Hate.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited November 2007
    I think what the church stands for is dispicable and in no way shape of form endorse their teachings or beliefs, but I gotta say this really is an issue of free speech and it's a slippery slippery slope and I'm not so sure they should have been fined for just protesting.

Yes, it turns my stomach. But freedom of expression is what our nation was founded on boy oh boy this is a tough situation....................where does restriction of freedom of speech begin and end.

Just thinking out loud here. Probably will get mercilessly flamed because so far I'm the only one in this thread questioning the underlying concern.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I think what the church stands for is dispicable and in no way shape of form endorse their teachings or beliefs, but I gotta say this really is an issue of free speech and it's a slippery slippery slope and I'm not so sure they should have been fined for just protesting.

Yes, it turns my stomach. But freedom of expression is what our nation was founded on boy oh boy this is a tough situation....................where does restriction of freedom of speech begin and end.

Just thinking out loud here. Probably will get mercilessly flamed because so far I'm the only one in this thread questioning the underlying concern.

H9

heiney, your not coming out of left field, but you have to remember this was not a fine, but a reward of damages in a civil court. an ENTIRELY different ballgame than a criminal charge or a government levied penalty of some kind.

I would love to see the court transcrips to see what the exact basis of damage was. I'm sure it was something along the lines of harrasment, and the laws of the states vary WIDELY on what constitutes harrasment. Free speech might not protect you from it, kind of like the yelling fire in a theater argument (in regards to free speech is not an absolute protection from legal ramifications)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    I dont think protesting is a crime...?
    -Cody

Nor do I, but advocating hate may be. If you walked around with a sign that said (for EXAMPLE) "Kill the Jews" it's not freedom of speech.
  • heiney9
    edited November 2007
    Nor do I, but advocating hate may be. If you walked around with a sign that said (for EXAMPLE) "Kill the Jews" it's not freedom of speech.

Well actually it is, unless you act upon it or devise a plan to act upon it. As ugly as it is, it is freedom of speech fundamentally.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited November 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    heiney, your not coming out of left field, but you have to remember this was not a fine, but a reward of damages in a civil court. an ENTIRELY different ballgame than a criminal charge or a government levied penalty of some kind.

I would love to see the court transcrips to see what the exact basis of damage was. I'm sure it was something along the lines of harrasment, and the laws of the states vary WIDELY on what constitutes harrasment. Free speech might not protect you from it, kind of like the yelling fire in a theater argument (in regards to free speech is not an absolute protection from legal ramifications)

That is a very good point and I hadn't really looked at from that side. I'm sure this won't be the end of it as the lawyers upon appeal after appeal will be the ones getting a majority of the money and press.
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    there are many laws that can be viewed as "infringing" freedom of speech. I cant walk up to someone and say, "i'm going to effing kill you", thats a threat, and there are laws against it criminally. if you add in the civil end of law and that "free speech" pretection starts to get thin.

i.e., if you slander someone, you can certainly be sued. if you use the "free speech" argument, there going to laugh at you in court.

in regards to appeals, your spot on, and you can bet the appeal process is going to test the integrity of that judgement and free speech will come into play in the argument, unless the Phelps attorney is a complete moron. I Will be keeping an eye on this
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    Freedom of speech only means the government can not go after you or stop you as long as what you are spouting doesn't present a threat to the public at large.

However: Other civilians can sue your **** of for anything you say as long as they can make a case for it. (harrassment, intimidation, etc...)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    For the love of God can we stop calling these **** a church? They're not supported by any organized religion in the entire world. They're made up of what, like 150 people according to one source -- and 71 from another? It's basically two families and they're already inbred since they don't let peole marry outside of the "church". :rolleyes:

As far as hate crimes, well, I think they're a joke. Crimes committed against people, be it physical or mental, are by their very nature hateful. We head down a slippery slope when we start prosecuting crimes based on the rationale of the accused.

I hope these monsters get what's coming to them real soon.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000%
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    As far as hate crimes, well, I think they're a joke. Crimes committed against people, be it physical or mental, are by their very nature hateful. We head down a slippery slope when we start prosecuting crimes based on the rationale of the accused.

I hope these monsters get what's coming to them real soon.

I don't agree with the "hate crime" moniker anymore than you do, for the exact same reason. But the law is on the books, so if it's gonna be there I'd at least like to see it applied to a group of scumbags like this.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    I don't agree with the "hate crime" moniker anymore than you do, for the exact same reason. But the law is on the books, so if it's gonna be there I'd at least like to see it applied to a group of scumbags like this.

Can't argue with that. :D
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited November 2007
    I live in lynchburg and they came to protest the funeral of Jerry Falwell. I grabbed my camera and got some footage of them. ill have to post it up so you can hear what they say.