Mercedes E320 recemendations

polkology
polkology Posts: 14
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys its been a long time since ive been in the market for some audio upgrading, all cause ive been really happy with the all polk gear i had in my integra but ive sold it and now im back in the market for more polk gear. The problem im facing now is that i got a mercedes E320 with a really good bose system with navigation that all built in to one head unit. I cant change the head unit nor do i want to. anyways thiers a lot of speakers in this car, i know thier are 5.25 inch components in the doors and i think thiers an amp attached somewhere, anyways if someone is familiar with this car, it would be great if they can post the audio components and than recomendations without changing the head unit.
thanks a lot
yahyah
Post edited by polkology on

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,118
    edited October 2007
    Well, it is really going to depend on what generation of E320 you have (they've been around for quite some time). It can be tricky to mess with some of the MBZ stuff ...
    Alea jacta est!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2007
    90% of your Bose units are going to have some goofy plastic mounting system, where its a trapezoid of some sort... and inside is a 5.25 or 4" or 6.5 or whatever... and on the back of it, or off to the side, is an integrated amplifier... by integrated, I don't mean into the unit (although it is), but 'single chip' piece of scrap.

All in all... without changing your radio, you have only one choice if you want to replace your speakers... that is to pull the head unit out and locate the 4 signal cables that run from the head unit to the bose amp/speaker assemblies. Then, cut these signal cables, and solder on RCA female receptacles. From there, run patch cables to the trunk, and install an aftermarket 4 channel amplifier. Then, run new speaker cable from the trunk to each door, and hook up / install your new aftermarket speakers.

Happy wiring....
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • polkology
    polkology Posts: 14
    edited October 2007
    its a 2003 mercedes e320, are you sure thiers only 4 signal wires, cause thiers like 11 speakers, and also what do you guys recomend for the speakers?
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,118
    edited October 2007
    Well, this car uses fiber optics between some of the electronics (I don't see how that could include the speakers though).

http://www.mbusa.com/overview/2003/E320W.do?category=interior&modelCode=E320W&preModelCode=E350W&preClassCode=08_E&preAccClassCode=E

Paragraph 3 of the "Audio, Navigation and Communications" section:

Fiber-optic network offers precise, high-speed communication among components. Factory preparation for optional CD changer and cellular phone using fiber-optic network.

You might want to invest in a good workshop manual for this car before you start popping things open. It would be a shame if it started rattling on the road because something wasn't put back right. Have you tried searching some of the MB user forums?
    Alea jacta est!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2007
    audio can be transmitted over fibre -- but that's some high tech **** then...

I assumed that you had a 'traditional' setup, where you would have one signal wire for each speaker... 4 'regular' ones (front left and right, rear left and right) that were full range audio, and then a subwoofer output and a center channel output --- making at most 6 speakers. With an 11 speaker setup, I highly recc you do as Kex stated and get a factory shop manual.

From there, you can isolate 4 full range outputs... cut all 11, tape off the 7 you're not going to use, and then put RCA's on the other 4 (if they're traditional copper lines -- if they're fibre, through converters, then you're screwed).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • dipiazza
    dipiazza Posts: 363
    edited October 2007
    I wouldnt mess with that on your own... get a professional to do it.
    Terps Swimming!
    HT Setup
    TV: Vizio VX32L
    Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D914
    HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2
    Fronts: Polk R50s
    Surounds: Polk R30s
    Center: Polk R20's
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi

2CH Setup
    Integrated: Onix SP3 Tube
    CD Player: Sony CDP-CX355
    Speakers: Onix Strata Mini in PR Finish
    Signal Cable: Classic Speaker, Analog 1 IC

Headphones
    Grado SR 60, Bang & Olufsen A8, Shure e3

Other Stuff in Use
    Onix xls, Dual Onix x-subs, Onix Ref .5, Dahlquist M903, Teac A-1D, Marantz 1060
  • TalkenRain
    TalkenRain Posts: 13
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't mess with a benz-o
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited November 2007
    The E320 has fiber optics going from the head unit to the changer it has nothing to do with the audio portion. The bose amplifier is in the trunk and will probalby have only 5 outputs; front left, front right, rear left, rear right and subwoofer. Tweeters are usually parallel with midrange drivers. Subwoofer(s) are usually 6" drivers in rear deck many times with passive radiators. You can use the low level signal coming from the radio but you should measure it first and see what kinda of voltage it has. You may still need LOC's on the factoy signal from the radio. Noise can be a issue. You should be able to use 6.5 inch components in the factory midrange locations in the doors or rear deck. Remove the factory subs to allow your new subwoofer to play through the openings. I have done several mercedes and they all seem different. You may also be able to use the signal after the amplifier. Probably have less noise this way. If you really want good sound quality I recommend the JL Audio Clean sweep with the summing module. It will take the high level signal after the amp and clean it up for you plus give you a AUX for your ipod or satellite radio. Once you figure the car out its pretty straight foward from there.