banana plugs

Libertyc
Libertyc Posts: 914
edited October 2002 in Speakers
I want to solder banana plugs to my Monstor cable for hookup to my Polks. What kind of solder should I use? I use rosin core for everything now, but want to use somthing better for my speaker connections. Also are the Radio Shack banana plugs any good? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Post edited by Libertyc on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited October 2002
    Hi:

I would go to circuit City and get the banana plugs they carry. They don't need soldering and are very good for speaker connections.

Gary
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    Would the soldier connection be better than the crimp type though? I would think so.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Some say yes, and feel it is a better connection, in which case I would recommend WBT 4% Silver Soldier. Others think a crimp-connection will work best and that introducing other metals into the signal degrades/colors it.

I'm with Gary on this one, I say get your crimp/ compression/ screw on. If you can afford it, do both (seperately), and let us know what your ears/gear tell you.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    I'm for crimping or screw on's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    Skip the banana altogether and go bare wire. Why put another obstacle in the path?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    ar has a bana plug that uses a compreson fitting and it works great you can even put 10 guage in them
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    using a connector at the end does 2 things.........keeps the wire from oxidation and easy hook up.I like it much better then bare wire
    Dan
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited October 2002
    I like and use the screw type banana plugs and would recommend them.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    When I get around to it, I tinker more than most (present party excluded). You can unscrew easier than you can unsolder. If you solder, use silver (ie Wonder Solder), and try to cold solder (melt the solder into a drip onto the wire vs. heating the wire to wick the solder).

Mantis: If one bare wires, sure there is a risk of oxidation, but does this risk diminish if making a connection from bare wire to banana then to terminal? Curious.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    Actually, using a connector *may* slow down the oxidation process, but it will not stop it.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • gidrah
    edited October 2002
    A connection is a connection. Why would it matter if it's to a banana plug or to a 5-way? It might. I'm willing to learn.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    I'm with Ron, the copper is going to oxidize regardless.......

In theory, I'm with Mark on the less added components, the better. However, bannanas make life much easier for me as I swap gear pretty regularly.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • gidrah
    edited October 2002
    Unfortunately, while waiting for them to open,... You guessed it. I'm drunk again.

For ease and good connection, bananas are hard to beat. Also, my Dyanco's terminals are in a tight place and don't unscrew very far. Bingo, bananas all the way.

My main point was directed toward Mantis. If there's a clamp connection to be had, why would bananas be less corrosive. The ease is a no-brainer. I can understand 1 thing, but not the other.

Either way, If you get a plug, shop for one that is capable of the thickest wire possible. There'll be more surface and you will be less likely to break off strands trying to smash them in.
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for all suggestions. I always like to solder my connections because they seem to last longer and be stronger than twist on connections. Back in the old days I used to tin the tips of my speaker wires, which worked well clip speaker terminals.
    I really agree with Ron about using bare copper wire; less connections = less resistance. I swap my gear often and want to try bananns, but hate crimping. I never used the screw on type bananas, but will give them a try.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    OK,
    one little detail you guys missed..........shrink tubing over the wire to banana connection.Bare wire is wide open in the air.Banana connection with the wire crimped, then shrink tubing over it will last for many many years.
    The banana ends don't seem to do anything to the sound....positive or negitive.I never heard any difference between a bare wire and a terminated one.

It's up to you what you want to do with your wire.I like connections as Troy does for the same reason.......I swap out gear to much.
    Dan