To Club Polk Members....Old & New.

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've received tremendous feedback, both good and bad about some current activity on our forum. It was basically about 1 member and I'm sure most of you know the story. That's thankfully history now so let's all move on with our audio lives.

First of all...look, if you're a new or prospective member, please don't let that unfortunate situation deter you from posting nor from joining our forum. This is a great community and we welcome everyone to contribute and share their knowledge here. With any open user forum, you eventually experience a disruptive situation. The Polk staff does their best to diffuse these things quickly but sometimes it takes a little longer.

If you're a long term member, and were a party to the recent events, of which I'm sure you could include me....you need to chill out. If there's a serious problem, it will be dealt with ASAP. PM the moderators, Russman or myself...or go straight to the pimp daddy, Justin. Russ and I have to follow a certain protocol as at-large moderators, as we should, so if you're unhappy with our response....send it up the chain of command.

SPAM will immediately be dealt with as it occurs. We treat all members the same way in regards to the forums rules. Personally, unless someone PM's me with a complaint or concern, I let most things ride...including language and small disagreements. If the forum was policed from top to bottom, it wouldn't be fun anymore. If you have issues or concerns, PM the staff, seriously.

If you take issue with a particular member, talk it out as best you can and find a resolution. This resolution may be to put the member on ignore, and it's like they never existed at that point.

Aside from the occasional weirdo, this forum is the best one I participate in, and I have to surf ALOT of them.

We can't have this stuff happen again and that's not just from me, as an active member, that's from Polk.

This is a great place, don't fall into the trap that the forum troll sets. It's counterproductive to our reason for being here and to the health of our forum.

If you have a positive comment for our lurking current and/or new members, please feel free to post it. Club Polk rulez!

Regards,
Mark
Resident Weirdo
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Nicely put Mark.

It's time for everyone to dial it back a bit, including language. Get back to what it's about. Audio and fellowship with friends.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited October 2007
    Let's go forward and learn from the recent past.

Cheers

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    Good post Mark. I agree on the chill out part. I think many of us helped to get the situation where it got. Too bad it came a point where too much damage was already made and there was no going back.
    We do need to learn from this experience, and in the future use the ignore earlier, to avoid things getting out of hand.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2007
    Good words of wisdom from Mark and Russ! Let's move on and learn from this.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
  • woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited October 2007
    Oh good. It's safe to go back in the water.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited October 2007
    I'd also like to add a few things:

1) New members shouldn't be pounced on. This happens more than it should, and it's human reaction to get defensive, especially if you're new and everyone is "attacking" you. This needs to stop, let's give new members a chance to contribute before running them off.

2) CHILL OUT! In the words of Micah's ghost, "It's the internet, dude!" This is a fun place with awesome people! If someone rubs you the wrong way do the right thing by adding them to your ignore list and not participating in endless debate over who is right and who is wrong. Trolls thrive off of YOU responding.

3) Trolls thrive off of YOU responding. I just want that little tidbit to sink in.

And THANKS for helping our community. WE (Polk) really feel that this is a good place to learn and discuss your audio interests, and interact with other enthusiasts.

Now go have fun you crazy kidz. ;)

~Justin (the webguy)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited October 2007
    The pressure rises after you stoke the boiler. The good thing is no one went to jail for assault due to the lack of proximity.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2007
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2007
    -justin- wrote: »
    This needs to stop, let's give new members a chance to contribute before running them off.

You might want to consider deleting the "before running them off" part of your comment. Taken literally, I don't think that's what you meant!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2007
    If anyone wants a hug, I'm willing to drive up to 16 hours wearing a diaper....just let me know. <makes phone symbol with hand while whispering "Call Me.">
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    Apparantly Ive not been paying attention. Was there a big brawl or something?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    Apparantly Ive not been paying attention. Was there a big brawl or something?

No more than usual.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2007
    You 12V guys are usually the last ones to the fire ;)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, we like to pace ourselves. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    That was a very effective post there, but it seems I'm missing something...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2007
    Doro/Russman/Justin... just curious. Is moderating this forum a little like herding cats?
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Doro/Russman/Justin... just curious. Is moderating this forum a little like herding cats?

I think the preferred animal of choice around here is goat.....
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2007
    I think the preferred animal of choice around here is goat.....

And lots of them if I'm not mistaken. :D
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2007
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »

:D Justin could probably answer that better since he's done it longer. I don't think the place requires much moderation really, as we're pretty well behaved.

Usually someone gets called a putz or a$$clown, another cable debate thread gets started, a thread gets posted after its already been posted by 3 other members...in 3 different areas, a picture of something disgusting w/ TroyD's photochopped head attached shows up in a serious thread about cancer or somesuch, Nokia phones signs an exclusive contract with Polk Audio for retail sales in the Flea Market, someone joins Club Polk with the name F***You, etc.....sounds pretty normal to me.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    Dude, this forum almost doesn't need moderation.
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    :DYeah it used to be a LOT worse! But people have settled down nicely, & most of those who could start something in the blink on an eye have moved on down the road.

Now it just takes someone like the putz that just got rebanned to get everyones knickers in a knot.

Thankfully they are few & far between! Whew.:)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited October 2007
    As a relative newbie, thanks.

I did find it odd to have a manufacturer sponsored forum to require such thick skin. In the end, sounds like you are aiming for what it's all about, a show of mutual respect.

It's also kind of funny how easy it is to push some of you guys buttons. I guess it's also all about passion.

Movtarget, chillin' in NC (but headin' to NY way too early tomorrow - Interop)
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2007
    Mark,

You continue to make me want you...!!1

In a manly (diapered) sort of way..!!

By the way, how does one leave feedback these days ?!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited October 2007
    cfrizz said knickers! *swoon*
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    ROTFLOL!!! You guys are a riot!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    I talk to a friend in Canada that is always calling them that. I guess I've picked it up from her. Damn British influenced Canadians!:p;):D
    ninerbj wrote: »
    cfrizz said knickers! *swoon*
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2007
    I think you would get slapped for saying that, by a French Canadian. ;)
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited October 2007
    movtarget wrote: »
    I did find it odd to have a manufacturer sponsored forum to require such thick skin.
    You'll definitely want to have thick skin if you want to stick around......The ones that don't seem to last are the one's that are hypersensitive...........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.