Is Wireless-N worth the upgrade?

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've got a Linksys wireless G router that works great. I was wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a Linksys wireless-N router?

My laptop gets a weak signal in some spots downstairs, and even in one of the rooms upstairs (router is located upstairs), so I'm hoping wireless-n would help with that issue. More importantly, I'm wondering if I would get faster speed with wireless-n.

The cost for the wireless-n "upgrade" would be $98. Is it worth it?

BTW, both of my desktop computers are hardwired.

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    Yes. Just make sure you get the N card for the computer too. I just upgraded to N with my Apple and it's faster. (macbook pro and airport extreme)I did not find it to be any stronger though.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    Not if it's for music Early. Otherwise, yes.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited October 2007
    Yes. Just make sure you get the N card for the computer too. I just upgraded to N with my Apple and it's faster. (macbook pro and airport extreme)I did not find it to be any stronger though.

Agreed. I also did the same exact thing. I use the Apple N router and it's fantastic. One thing I noticed about the Apple over the Linksys Wireless G I had (wrt 54g) is the fact I have not had to reboot the Apple. The Linksys would drop out alot and then sometimes not work unitl I rebooted it. I also noticed a further range with the Apple over the Linksys even using a G laptop. My Imac is Wireless N and it blazes.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    I use the higher end Linsys "N" model and its rock solid. In fact, even with my devices that are still "g" spec, its signal to them is flawless with no problems (drops etc).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    It depends on what your primary use is. If you are streaming high-def content to a HTPC, then yes, it does make a difference. My HTPC currently has wireless "g" which works fine but streaming video could definitely use a wireless N connection.

If just web browsing/surfing, then no.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    You will definetely have faster connection for sure. However, I have researched this to some extent, and you can only expect a little bitter or same reception. It's a little weaker frequency...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited October 2007
    My understanding was that N wasn't a faster frequency, just a stronger frequency over G to give you more coverage..............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    It's a bit stronger, so you will get better range.

People saying they notice the speed difference are most likely hallucinating, though. You'll see faster speeds when transferring / streaming between computers on your network, but anything on the outside world is orders of magnitude slower than your router already, so it doesn't matter how much faster the router is, the connection to the outside is the limiting factor.

Average data rate for 802.11-g is ~19Mb/s.
    Average data rate for 802.11-n is ~74Mb/s.

Most cable users are capped at about 6-8Mb/s (and good luck ever getting even close to that to begin with).

You do the math :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2007
    Linksys sucks. I own a computer repair business, and they crash and burn all the time. If you are just browsing the internet with a 3meg connection who cares if your router can do 80? Now if you are doing file sharing than it would make a difference. Even wireless B for internet purposes is fine if you have a half way decent signal.

Edit...
    What Bob said
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    How much more range does N have over G? I'd love to have whole house WiFi with a minimum of access points.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    It's a bit stronger, so you will get better range.

People saying they notice the speed difference are most likely hallucinating, though. You'll see faster speeds when transferring / streaming between computers on your network, but anything on the outside world is orders of magnitude slower than your router already, so it doesn't matter how much faster the router is, the connection to the outside is the limiting factor.

Average data rate for 802.11-g is ~19Mb/s.
    Average data rate for 802.11-n is ~74Mb/s.

Most cable users are capped at about 6-8Mb/s (and good luck ever getting even close to that to begin with).

You do the math :)

What's the average data rate for b? I don't doubt what you're saying, but I'm wondering if people made the same argument between b & g.

This issue reminds me of the "do cables make a difference?" debate in audio. The user camp swears the upgrade is faster, and the techie camp says it ain't scientifically possible. :p
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    Average for b is ~4.5Mb/s, so it's conceivable that if you had a fast enough internet connection, that could be a limiting factor (but extremely unlikely given the average internet provider).

All my numbers are from the Wikipedia article on IEEE 802.11 (aka, WiFi).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.