What's the most you've ever spent on a CD?

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've never spent anywhere near this on a CD before, but it's Kylie, and it is a 2-CD set with 26 tracks, $48.99. The best part, I ordered it last night and it's already on it's way.

41JP65CFV2L._AA240_.jpg
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited October 2007
    14.99 here and there before Amazon.com. Lot of my allowance went to Blockbuster music and Cinemark back in the day.

I did spend $34.99 on a Rushmore DVD because I wanted that movie for nearly a year when it first came out but the only copy I could find was a Criterion Edition at Borders Books.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    I like that photo.

My record, probably $21 or something close to that.
  • AndyGwis
    edited October 2007
    Shizelbs, you mean your record record?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited October 2007
    Hmmmm.....not 100% sure of the amount, but definitely in excess of $100.00.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2007
    $60, IIRC, for a double disc MFSL copy of Hooker and Heat.

LP- $135 for the 3rd pressing of Bob Marley- Catch a Fire, also an MFSL release.

Yes, I had (have) a real problem with buying MFSL releases.

Yes, I bought both before meeting my wife....
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2007
    60 bucks for Jazz at the Pawnshop hybrid cd
  • AndyGwis
    edited October 2007
    Hooker and Heat.

Great ****, btw. Definitely worth $60.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited October 2007
    sarah brightman sacd's - $35 a pop. They were worth it - barely.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2007
    Ahem....$140.00
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Great ****, btw. Definitely worth $60.

Close. It was actually the working title for the pilot of the greatest tv cop drama series ever, with fka James T Kirk at the helm.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 bucks for an OOP CD (I think it was the Travelling Wilburys).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    After this post, I'm going to order an SACD that's 105.00 plus shipping. I think that's my most expensive to date.

Gotta love payday. :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited October 2007
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited October 2007
    Around $50, it was one of the Burmester discs I believe, gold cd blah blah blah. It turned out to be a fake, still have it somewhere but never listen.

Normal CDs around $30 for an import from the Netherlands if I recall correctly. Imports are usually around $20-$25 for the bands I like.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    About $15. There's a CD out there right now I wanna buy that costs $18 plus $3 shipping, but that's too damn expensive! I'll wait for a used copy.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2007
    WOW - You folks spend lots. I paid $30 for ZZ Top Chrome Smoke & BBQ Box Set brand new and I thought that was a lot. I am sure that some of the SACD's down the road will challenge that number.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    $hit! Are there $60 and $140 CD's?????

Probably the most I've paid is around $18.

So who said the gear was the expensive part of this hobby??????

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    Yup, I wouldn't even know where to try and find $100+ CD. Shoot, for that it better come with some divorce documents. You're going to need them...

For me, porbably in the $20-$25 range.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    Just think out of print stuff on eBay. Or rare imports.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    And here's for the right question; does a $140 CD sound $120 better than a $20 CD?

(Have you done an AB test????) :D

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Danny Tse
    edited October 2007
    I also find it ironic that I play my $140.00 CD on a player that didn't cost me as much.

Like a stamp collector, I collect early CDs (from 1982 to 1985) and those can be pricy.
    Ricardo wrote:
    And here's for the right question; does a $140 CD sound $120 better than a $20 CD?

The emphasis is not on the sound quality but on the rarity of the disc.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2007
    I once bid up to $38 on Lake's first CD--it was out of print and I love that CD. I lost that go round, and scored one a couple days later, brand new for $11.99....whew.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Just think out of print stuff on eBay. Or rare imports.

Well, I went and did that and, well, uh, hmmm, I guess this would be for someone who has everything I guess:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Copyright-to-this-Song-Music-Lyrics-Name_W0QQitemZ110179742961QQihZ001QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dawningphoenix
    dawningphoenix Posts: 39
    edited October 2007
    If you want to count box sets, then $130, 140 or so on the Talking Heads studio discography. Next after that is the Lord of the Rings: The Complete Recordings discs, which are between $50 and $70, depending on which one it is.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited October 2007
    Back when I was living at home and had few expenses I used to buy Led Zeppelin bootleg cd's either from the back of Goldmine magazine or the local and independently owned cd shop.

Single cd's from Germany or other European distributors were about $20 a pop. I bought a (3) cd title "Listen To This Eddie" on Silver Rarities for for $120 and another box set (5) cd set for $95.

The Japanese pressed versions of several Holy Grail recordings (back in the late 80's early 90's) could easily sell fro $75+ a disc.

Before the official "BBC Sessions" came out I paid $95 for (2) cd set, direct from the master reels including the Liverpool Comedy sound sketch they used to do back in 1969 during intermission's on the BBC radio show.

At the time this was the first time it was released (on bootleg) from the masters and including the comedy intermission. It's great because the official version of the "BBC Sessions" released by Atlantic has cuts and edits in it and is not complete, whereas the bootlegs I have are 100% complete.

So after a long winded post $95 for a (2) cd bootleg set of Led Zeppelin- BBC Sessions in 1969.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Danny Tse
    edited October 2007
    I highly doubt this is the highest price paid for a CD on ebay

Completed sale of DCC CD version of Nat "King" Cole's Greatest Hits
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2007
    strider wrote: »
    $60, IIRC, for a double disc MFSL copy of Hooker and Heat.

I just own the regular one. Great effin Album. If you like that you should pick up the Canned Heat DVD from Montreux 73' with "Gatemouth".

Mine would be the Muddy Waters Live Legacy Edition Double Disc Produced by Johnny Winter 26.00. Great CD

P
    Life without music would
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    $48 for a Joe Satriani 2 disc set.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Before the Amanda McBroom the most expensive SACD I bought was Brothers in Arms for $34.98
    Ouch! I paid $12.99 for the same thing around six months ago.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited October 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    This SACD was $140 the other day. I guess Amazon only had one because it's out of stock now. I'd like to get one: http://www.amazon.com/Alison-Krauss-Union-Station-Multichannel/dp/B00008NGHI/ref=sr_1_5/102-4786293-8568902?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1192832103&sr=8-5[/url

Sal
    Great album there. I bought it new for $65.00 At the time I could have bought it used for $50.00 or so but the thing with used albums you never know what the sellers idea of mint really is.

Here is a pricey cd set. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330177400688

Here is a pricey digital cassette. http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon-MFSL-PCM-Digital-Tape_W0QQitemZ190162173965

And here is a mini cd collection. http://cgi.ebay.com/Replica-OBI-114-BOX-SET-100S-OF-CD-COLLECTION-Sealed_W0QQitemZ330175519839

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D