One for the record books!

2»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited October 2007
    Shannon W. wrote: »
    Thats kinda like saying any1 can make a Yard Dart (Rail) can go fast or any one can make a car with a 33x16 slick go fast, so what ever man. But with those statements it's true. If you can't make a 1800lbs POS run fast the you need to just quit racing or a car with a huge tire you have to be kidding. Thats whats funny when we go to the track and people look at these pro cars run 4.80's and .90's (in the 1/8) thinking they are fast, then you tell them to make them weigh 3000lbs - 3500lbs and see how fast they are.. They look at you like "OK?" then they think about it.. Then while they are thinking about it then this guy in a Stock Suspension Drag Radial car busts off a 4.88 @ 157mph (in the 1/8) @ 3400lbs, then they don't think those pro cars are that fast any more. LoL

Also speaking about forced induction how much positive manifold pressure do you think that 500" NA pro-Stock motor has Because of the Big hood scoop they run @170 -206mph? So now to me that is not a NA motor. It has some type of forced induction (RAM AIR if you please) action going on. If it was a truly NA motor make them take to scoops off the cars and make them put a cowl induction (non-forward facing scoop) type hood on them and see how much they slow down. LoL

Don't flip out man, Just bust'n your chops.. :)

Shannon "RSP"

You think I’m flippin out? Start dissin sportsman racing and I’ll go for the ban. :D

I don’t know that you would have any positive manifold pressure at that speed. I never measured it on Arnie’s car. Carb equipped cars, even those with Nitrous, still have reversion taking place, and you can end up with some standoff above the carbs. I’ve seen guys punch some holes in the back of the scoop bottom plate and lose tenths off the ET and MPH. Carbs work better with even pressure across the top of the air bleeds, not air shearing over them.

And don’t think I am defending Pro Stock. I dislike what the class has become. Maybe this is the wrong word to use, but turbo race cars are most efficient. Race and rock on.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Oh, by the way, a carb'ed car does not rely on atmospheric pressure to "get the air in". It relies on the mechanical force know as vacuum pressure. The engine sucks the air in. It doesn't rely on atmospheric pressure in any way it is just limited by it.

Look Jstas, NA engines don't just suck the air in. The vacuum creates a pressure differential and atmospheric pressure causes the air to rush in.

I was going to change my post but someone quoted it so I'll leave it stand. I apologize to the forum and moderators for calling you an egotistical punk. I still think that about you and believe it is true, but I shouldn't have said it publically. You have this way of taking words out of context, issuing a correction and spewing an encyclopedia of information. You manipulate people and situations like that. I think you do it to make people look bad, and yourself look good.

When I said a carb equipped car relies on atmospheric pressure to get the air in, it was said after mentioning a forced induction car. I just don't see how that is so inaccurate of a statement. You want to argue if the chicken or the egg came first, fine.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited October 2007
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    You want to argue if the chicken or the egg came first, fine.

neither did! They evolved, Kinda like everything in life! LoL

Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited October 2007
    6.96? I'm not undermining you but was that supposed to say a 7.96? The reason I ask is because the fastest Drag Radial pass we have seen ever so far was Dave Wolfe at last years World Ford Challenge and he went 7.40 flat. and this year was the first time ever for a Drag Radial Car to run 200mph but it was never backed up due to the guy wrecking the car after that run in the shut down.
    I just thought I'd ask, but if your Buddy has broken in the 6's with a Stock Suspension car on drag radial thats a huge feat in its self and I can't wait to see that in O-Town.

Shannon "RSP"

It wasn't official, it was only a test and tune. I hate droppin' names but the guys I have been running with used to run with Dwayne Gutridge until Dwayne got disenchanted with it all. Dwayne still runs but not anything serious like he used to. It still has the same black Mustang and it's fast. His car has run in the 6's unofficially too. These were on a perfect night at Atco though so actual speeds in competition might be a tad slower. 7.40's though? That seems easy 'cause that's what they've been running for a couple of years now. Dwayne runs Big Daddy Racing Engines and every car we are running has one of his engines in it. When I hooked up with them and started messing with fuel injection systems for them, they were already in the mid 7's. My friend's brother was getting in to it with his own car and that car is capable of 7.80's and he's just a rookie. The car is "de-tuned" 'cause his license and chassis are only certified for 8.50's. He just bought a rolling chassis certified for 6.50's though and we're in the process of putting that together.

I dunno, we'll see. I'm not going to make it to Orlando, I have too much other stuff going on. But if he's runnin' mid 7's in that heat and humidity down there, he'll be knockin' on the 6's up here in the spring. We have a couple of track rentals coming up in November so we'll see.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Shannon W.
    edited October 2007
    When you say unofficially do you mean under weight or what? or can you not say? But any how Thats rolling out!

Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
  • Jstas
    edited October 2007
    Look Jstas, NA engines don't just suck the air in. The vacuum creates a pressure differential and atmospheric pressure causes the air to rush in.

I was going to change my post but someone quoted it so I'll leave it stand. I apologize to the forum and moderators for calling you an egotistical punk. I still think that about you and believe it is true, but I shouldn't have said it publically. You have this way of taking words out of context, issuing a correction and spewing an encyclopedia of information. You manipulate people and situations like that. I think you do it to make people look bad, and yourself look good.

When I said a carb equipped car relies on atmospheric pressure to get the air in, it was said after mentioning a forced induction car. I just don't see how that is so inaccurate of a statement. You want to argue if the chicken or the egg came first, fine.

I don't really care. The simple fact that you chose to go for name calling rather than further explain yourself just shows that you didn't have enough time to look up your statement on the Internet and find out that it was wrong, back-peddle in another post and try to make yourself look all rosy again by questioning my character... again.

Spin it any way you want. You can drop names and ride on other people's coat-tails all you want. It just serves to not necessarily discredit you but it doesn't exactly lend to it either. You made a statement. I called you on it. I explained myself. If you think I'm belittling you to make me feel good about myself because I defended my position before you had a chance to try to cut me down like you usually do, that's on you. I don't need you in any way to feel good about myself. When it comes down to it, you're a has-been on an audio forum waxing nostalgic about what you used to do in a place where very few people can question you intelligently and would rather pat your back and say "good job" than question anything. I'll be heading to the shop tonight after work to help out with the car and get it ready for Orlando next Thursday.

• Jstas
    edited October 2007
    When you say unofficially do you mean under weight or what? or can you not say? But any how Thats rolling out!

Shannon

Unofficially meaning we were in test and tune sessions running N/T runs or in a non-sanctioned Gambler's Race bracket racing and going up against alcohol door slammers running 6.60's and holding our own. Got a lot of respect from the old guys when they saw what we were running. Every time we hit a race, we get lookers. With either car. We can't really claim times because unless it's a competition, records don't really count.

• Shannon W.
    edited October 2007
    Thats good enough for me man and congrats!

Shannon "RSP"
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
  • Jstas
    edited October 2007
    Face wrote: »
    Jstas, you're correct. And even though FI does make it's own atmosphere in it's manifold, it also can also be limited by the ambient temperature, dewpoint, and barometer(AKA: DA/Density Altitude).

Oh, believe me, I know. My fuel mileage in my truck depends more on how humid it is than anything.

Carbs can be affected just as much. I got good at changing the jets in a Holley at the track. When you show up at 4:30 on a Friday night and it's still 85 degrees with 90% humidity and by the end of the night it's 70 degrees with 80% humidity, it affects how you are running. You can fatten up the mixture to keep it from detonating in the late afternoon and have the temp and barometer change so much by the end of the night that you're leaned out and running hot. Yeah, weather changes can make or break your night if your not prepared for compensating for them.

• Shannon W.
    edited October 2007
    Look at the Big Brain on Jstas! LoL, Just messing with ya man!

Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
  • Jstas
    edited October 2007
    Thats good enough for me man and congrats!

Shannon "RSP"

Well, I've started filming the races. The first races I have on video were from June when we won the Stormin Norman Reunion race at Atco. I have about 6 other events and a pile of Tuesday, Thursday and Friday night track runs to do shakedown and get the driver some seat time. We don't really need to go and break a record, however cool that would be, we need the driver to get more consistent. It's about winning and you can't plan your race if your driver takes the car down the track for an 8.70 on one run and the very next run with an unchanged car, runs a 9.65 'cause he didn't get out of the hole correctly. The car that'll run the 6's is driven by it's owner and he's pretty good he's just a cowboy and doesn't like to get out of it if things start getting squirrelly. The 8.50 index car is also driven by it's owner but he's still fresh and lacks seat time. He hasn't driven the car enough to get comfortable with it. When he does though, look out! That car is a runner!

I get so excited about this stuff! It's just too much fun!

• Shannon W.
    edited October 2007
    Please tell me your not talking about Wolfe? Because if memory serves me correctly Job Spetter (Sp?) tunes on (Or did) Dwayne car and Wolfes.

Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2007
    America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-**** speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2007
    by questioning my character... again.

What character? You were wrong about the I6 and you still think engines suck the air. What happens when they run in high altitudes? They suck less air? LOL Google corrected altitude to learn why.

I'll be heading to the shop tonight after work to help out with the car and get it ready for Orlando next Thursday.

Yours? Or someone elses, benchracer? Are you the waxer or do you just shade the tires on the sunny side of the car? And you say I just rode on others peoples coat tails. At least I owned and drove cars of my own before I quit.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2007
    ....before you had a chance to try to cut me down like you usually do......

I don't recall making a habit of following you around and cutting you down. I usually avoid you.
  • Jstas
    edited October 2007
    Please tell me your not talking about Wolfe? Because if memory serves me correctly Job Spetter (Sp?) tunes on (Or did) Dwayne car and Wolfes.

Shannon

No, not Wolfe although he was hangin' around the shop the other day. I don't like dropping names because it gives this air of pretentiousness that I don't like. Besides, I respect the guys I know and I don't need some internet blowhard going back to one of them and saying I was talking smack or something. Not that it really bothers any of them but it bothers me. I only mentioned Dwayne because alot of people know who he is and he's pretty well respected for not only his racing accomplishments but his engine and transmission building abilities. Saying you have a "Big Daddy" engine is something.

• Shannon W.
    edited October 2007
    Thats cool and I respect that!

Shannon ""RSP"
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
  • Jstas
    edited October 2007
    What character? You were wrong about the I6 and you still think engines suck the air. What happens when they run in high altitudes? They suck less air? LOL Google corrected altitude to learn why.

Yours? Or someone elses, benchracer? Are you the waxer or do you just shade the tires on the sunny side of the car? And you say I just rode on others peoples coat tails. At least I owned and drove cars of my own before I quit.

Wow, you're losing it already!

What do I do? Did I not just state in an earlier post that I was doing work with fuel injection systems? I have an extensive background in computer systems. I've been building telemetry systems and working with MSD boxes and DFI and Holley Commander systems. I've also done engine work and chassis work too.

Now, as for owning and driving cars of my own, I have. I built my first car when I was 16 with a friend. A '77 Nova that we had running high 12's on Futura Super Sports. Oh but yeah, that's right, you probably did it better, sooner. For a kid with no experience, that's an accomplishment. My first solo effort was an 83 GT that I tore apart and rebuilt completely by myself. It was a full bodied car with a complete, working interior. The first time out it ran an 11.62 at 120.68 MPH. I got told not to come back until I got a rollcage. If I dropped the 300-400 pounds of unnecessary stuff, the car would have been even faster and possibly in the 10's. I stopped doing drag racing for a bit and got in to autocross where I was running my Ranger just because I could. The I got my Thunderbird and did a ton of suspension work and autocrossed that beast too.

Then I was foolish, got a girlfriend and got married and lost time and money while I worked on building my family. Now I have time and money will be coming soon and I'll get back in to it. I'm already signed on for the Driver's Club at the new Thunderbolt Raceway and I am going to be picking up a Caterham 7 (Lotus Super 7 knock-off) from a guy I met through the club and I'm going to start club racing it when I'm not doing the drag racing.

I've been hanging around these guys because they moved in to the shop next door to the diesel shop I work at. I met them one night when they needed a hand with a broken tow truck. Been hangin' out ever since racin' cars, drinkin' beer and raisin' hell! I met alot of cool people and done alot of cool things and got a bunch of new friends and connections out of it too. Yeah, it's neat but I value the friendships I made way more than the chances to drop names and talk about how great they are to boost my ego. I'm reluctant to drop any names except to give a recommendation or evidence of a successful business transaction. I'm not here to impress you or anyone else. I participated in this thread because it was about something interesting that I can talk about for hours and not get bored at all. It's especially fun when you are talking to someone who is also involved and knows what's currently going on.

But again, you are crying over silly things, calling me names and telling me I'm a "benchracer". Well there champ, what are you? You're talking about it on an internet forum because you USED to do it. Now you're trying to save face because for some reason, you feel the need to impress all of these people here. Doesn't that make you a benchracer too?

I have respect for Shannon W, he's been cool throughout the whole thing. You on the other hand, you've been like every other "racer" I've ever met who has to have something better, done something better and know something more than everyone else. I'll bet you blame it on "competitive spirit" too, huh? Yeah, you're the guy nobody wants to talk to in the pits. You're the guy that when you break something and need a part, nobody wants to help you out. Yeah, your "that guy".

You keep at it though, sport. You're doing a bang-up job of killing an otherwise fun thread with your tantrums and such.

Yeah, I'm done with you. you'll probably respond again though. Probably 3 or 4 more times if your current trend continues. You'll call me names, you'll question my character and you'll try to discredit my technical knowledge and abilities but you won't goad me in to a fight and drag me down with you. Not that I have real far to go. I'm not real well liked around here but that's no big deal to me. I can't please everybody. So have fun killin' Shannon W's thread.

• Jstas
    edited October 2007
    Thats cool and I respect that!

Shannon ""RSP"

I did get Dwayne to sign a copy of the BFGoodrich poster I have that they used a shot of his car on! He thought I was a big dork but I told him "Hey! It'll be worth some money one day!" He laughed but still, Dwayne's a way cool guy, very down to Earth. I just wish he was still racing. I mean, he still runs but not like he used to. It's always fun to watch someone who is good at what they do go out and beat up on the competition. He used to run his qualifying runs, see what the top guy was and the bottom guy and then run smack in the middle. Then when the races came, he knew exactly what he had to run to get to the next round and then he did it. I don't think i saw him lose a race unless he broke. He never cheated, never had to, he knows it inside and out. I've learned alot from that man and he did a hell of alot for the drag radial classes and for the sport overall. Hell, there wouldn't be a drag radial class if it wasn't for Dwayne. I honestly feel honored to know him. He has a passion that he took far enough and made a difference and a name for himself. I have nothing but respect for that. I'm gonna stop yammerin' on about it though because I probably sound like I should be humping his leg right now!

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    Here is a classic video ...love the launch

http://www.filecabi.net/video/race46456546.html
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2007
    Wow, you're losing it already!

LOL No, I think you are the one that has lost it.;)
    your tantrums and such.

My tantrums? :rolleyes:

Of course I am going to respond John, despite the futility of anything getting through to you. It is rather amusing to watch a control freak like you lose control with just a couple of buttons pushed, but you require some accountability for your actions. And don't pawn the downfall of this thread on me John, you were the largest contributor. You continued to spew and create even more issues instead of asking me some open ended questions to solve the previous ones. Because you have to be right, and will do anything to convince yourself and your fan boys of it. You did everything that I described you would do. We can now add certifiable, hateful, paranoid and delusional to your description. But I am glad you directed your abuse toward me instead of your friends or family.

Some of the things you said about me were untrue, hurtful and made me cry. I mean, I haven’t laughed at anything so hard in a long time. (Except for the story of your profanity laden tantrum at Polk HQ about the missing XM tuner. Is there an encore planned for the next one?). It is no wonder you are not well liked. Only you can change that John. Get some professional help, build some self esteem, enhance and maintain it. Learn to respect yourself, and maybe you can apply it towards others. You already know where your horn button is so you’ll have no problems blowing it. But real men with abilities shouldn't have to constantly call attention to themselves, like you do. I'd rather be what you call a has been than the sorry excuse for the wannabe you are.

Just a recap and a couple of questions John. Even if you “are done with me” let us show everyone how you operate. Please try to stay on task. We know you can be wrong since you did identify a V8 engine once as an inline 6.

I say something, you “call” me on it. You make a poor comeback that I call you on. We know you will never admit how important atmospheric pressure is to getting the air in, so you just say things like it just limits performance and engines suck the air in. You accuse me of googling for an explanation. I call you a name based on your behavior seen in this and previous threads. You launch an attack on me, calling me a has been, though you described many past accomplishments. You accused me of dropping names in this thread, when I have dropped no names in this thread. Then you spewed this out:
    You on the other hand, you've been like every other "racer" I've ever met who has to have something better, done something better and know something more than everyone else. I'll bet you blame it on "competitive spirit" too, huh? Yeah, you're the guy nobody wants to talk to in the pits. You're the guy that when you break something and need a part, nobody wants to help you out. Yeah, your "that guy".

Some questions now John. Note that these are items from topics in this thread. Please stay on task.

If you describe past accomplishments, doesn’t that make you a has been as well? Or are you just the younger, lesser has been?

How can you accuse me of crying and throwing tantrums when you are the only one that has exhibited that behavior in person, in front of numerous people at Polk HQ?
    Then I was foolish, got a girlfriend and got married and lost time and money while I worked on building my family.

Are you still married? How does that make your wife feel, being part of something you admit to doing foolishly?

What was the corrected altitude at the track you were at prior to your first run?

Does it make you feel good that I maintained my has been status by refusing to crew chief for an NHRA Alky Funny Car this year? (Limited engagements too, one national and 3-4 division events).

Would it surprise you that I am known as being friendly and helpful?

Would it surprise you that I have a low tolerance for BS and people like you?