Speeding Ticket! And I have questions!

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok, so I got pulled over by a State trooper tonight, only about an hour ago, now. Long story short, went to a friend's house I've never been to before, traveled down US52, not very familiar with that highway, didn't know the speed limit was only 55, was doing 71. I was thinking, had you asked me, that I was just going 6 over. But I wasn't thinking about it because it's dark, it's a straight highway, and I saw, like, three other cars total. So, anyhoo, enough with the excuses.

What the heck do I do now? And I know 'the Club Polk forum is not the best place to seek legal advice', so I'm definitely going to do research online and talk to Dad about it some more...assuming he's not so mad about it tomorrow. (crosses fingers...)

Appearantly since I was going 16 over, I HAVE to go to court, whereas at 15 over or below, I could just mail it in.

So, I have to show up in court. What should I do first? What preparation is necessary?

This is the first ticket I've ever gotten, and I see on here about having the speed reduced if your driving record is good. There is a form I can fill out to request a copy of my driving record so I can show it in court. I'm assuming I want to go ahead and do that as soon as I can.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll go get a new license, since he also gave me a warning because mine is 'unreadable' (rubbed off on wallet).

Now, what's really interesting is, that, this form on the this sheet that I'd fill out, tear off, and send in to get a copy of my driving record is on the back of another sheet that appears that I wouldn't want to tear it apart. I could scan the page or type in the exact, full contents of that sheet so you'd know what I'm talking about, but from reading the heading and its contents, I have NO clue what it is.

The timing really stinks, too, because in 3 weeks we were going to start getting a price break since I will have had my license for 2 years and without a violation. *sigh*

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! And the more prompt, the better! I know I procrastinate a lot, but I'm NOT procrastinating on this. I'm going to be ready when my court date comes up!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Oh, oh, there was also a note that if 16 - 19, I can't get my speed reduced unless I attend a safey class. And I'm less than a month away from my 20th birthday. :(

So I guess it'd behoove me to attend one of those classes.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2007
    go to traffic school, and (see other post) give the cop some weed !!

no seriously....

ask if you can do a saftey course / traffic school, and ask the judge to reduce to under 15 mph to help keep your record clean fro the insurance..

pay big fine...

who knows, maybe the judge will be in a good mood

dress nice, but don`t over dress
    speak politely
    make eye contact, but don`t dog him...just be very respectful, and humble....who knows, he might cut ya some slack...

bet pop`s is pissed !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2007
    Take the course, ask to reduce the speed, and be very careful for awhile since some of the reductions come with a probation period.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info so far.

I know a lot of folks like to make up stories or hire lawyers to make up stories to get out of it. I'm not wanting to make up any story here. The radar caught me doing 71 and the speed limit was 55, so I was speeding. No way around that. I'm just trying to legally reduce the consequences through whatever avenues they have open for me.

Now, I have a few people telling me to "walk in there not guilty and walk out not guilty." I have no idea how this stuff works, and like I said, I'm not wanting to make up a story here. However, I travel I40 daily, and the speed limit there is 65, so I'm used to 65mph speed limit. It was dark and hard to see. I really don't remember seeing a speed limit sign until after he pulled me over. AND, after calling my friend, he told me that when I got on the highway, the speed limit WAS 65mph, but that it changed sometime after that.

Does any of that work to my advantage? Or should I just stick with the driver's record and safety class? What are the chances of 'deferred ajudication' where they put me on probation for 6 months and forget about the ticket if I'm clean for 6 months?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2007
    Tell the truth, beg for mercy, let the judge know that a deferral would be a blessing to you.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2007
    You shouldve ran. You couldve taken him off road in the jeep.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Shannon W.
    Shannon W. Posts: 568
    edited October 2007
    You can always ask for the court to produce when the radar equipment was last calibrated and most of the time they will trow the ticked out do to the equipment not being calibrated properly or out of date and also for the PD not doing it like they are supposed to. I think they are governed that they have to keep that equipment up to date and have to have proof of it..
    Also did the officer take you back to the car and physically show you on the radar that you was going that fast.. In Illinois that is law also. well at least it used to be..
    Another think you can do is Google "How to get of a speeding ticket" and see what comes up.. There are allot of things that the Law enforcement don't keep up to date..

Shannon
    50" Samsung Plasma
    Sony STR-DA4ES "use as Pre/amp"
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Player
    DLO HomeDock Deluxe iPod docking station
    Directv HR20 Sat. Receiver in black
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 Signature Amp
    Monster Cable AVS2000
    Monster Cable HTPS 5100 MKII
    Polk LSi 9's Front R/L
    Polk LSiC Center
    Polk LSiFX R/L Surround
    Polk LSi 7's Rear R/L
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Sony PS3
    Click Here To View my Rig
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited October 2007
    I agree with the Deferral, since it's your first offense the judge will hopefully be understanding. This happened to my wife and she asked for a deferal. The judge made an agreemnet that if she didn't get a ticket within a year it would be dropped and it was.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited October 2007
    just get a lawyer...

In NC you are pretty much allowed one speeding ticket

However, you certainly were booking it... LOL

But should be able to be reduced to a malfunction of equipment...

But again, like I said - you were over 55 and really booking it... so could be different
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Haha, but the thing is, I was NOT booking it! I'm sooo fortune it about that! I was doing at least 80 just a minute or so before that, and was certainly doing 85 or more on the way to his house. I'm just very very very very very fortunate I was only going 71. That's how fast I go when I'm driving 'slow'.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for all the advice, folks, I really appreciate it. The deferral really does sound like the best bet. I can guarantee you that if I can get one for 6 months or for even a year, I will NOT speed for that time period!

Should I go ahead and get a copy of my driving record to have with me in court?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I will NOT speed for that time period!

fat chance.
    -Cody
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2007
    Go to court, best case is the officer doesn't show up at court. If the officer does show up, just tell the truth, be respectful to the judge, and ask for a reduction in the speed and a lesser ticket/fine. A good judge is going to realize you learned your lesson and give you a little break on the first one.

Years ago I got a deferral on a 175 mph speeding ticket this way. The judge just wanted me to stay out of trouble until I was 18.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited October 2007
    If a judge deferred a 175 MPH ticket, you were blessed WELL beyond you should have been........Most states I've been in that's not just a civil ticket, it's criminal.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • dkg999
    edited October 2007
    In 1976 it wasn't a criminal offense in IA (of course I was in Missouri before they caught up with me!). The judge found it humorous that the officers couldn't say exactly how fast I was going, as 175 mph ground speed was all the faster their airplane would go and I was outrunning it. We used to race from Elliott Flying Service in Des Moines to Elliott Flying Service in Kansas City and back. The cars had an advantage over the motorcycles in that they only had to stop once for gas. On a motorcycle I had to go faster because I had to stop and gas/oil up (2 stroke factory production racer, Yamaha OW-21 3 cyl 750cc) a few times. Finally the IA and MO troopers got together and put a stop to the fun!

The judge was an old hot rodder and gave me the "son come up here and talk to me" fatherly speech. If I could stay out of trouble for the next year until I turned 18, he would make this all go away. I didn't so much as jaywalk for the next year or so!

BTW - top speed on the bike was about 192 mph. In comparison, a new factory 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa will do about 203 mph with just a little tweaking.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited October 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »
    In 1976 it wasn't a criminal offense in IA (of course I was in Missouri before they caught up with me!). The judge found it humorous that the officers couldn't say exactly how fast I was going, as 175 mph ground speed was all the faster their airplane would go and I was outrunning it. We used to race from Elliott Flying Service in Des Moines to Elliott Flying Service in Kansas City and back. The cars had an advantage over the motorcycles in that they only had to stop once for gas. On a motorcycle I had to go faster because I had to stop and gas/oil up (2 stroke factory production racer, Yamaha OW-21 3 cyl 750cc) a few times. Finally the IA and MO troopers got together and put a stop to the fun!

The judge was an old hot rodder and gave me the "son come up here and talk to me" fatherly speech. If I could stay out of trouble for the next year until I turned 18, he would make this all go away. I didn't so much as jaywalk for the next year or so!

BTW - top speed on the bike was about 192 mph. In comparison, a new factory 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa will do about 203 mph with just a little tweaking.

Not trying to one up you by any means. Just two inches of the sides and tuck tight. Suzu "Had" to to make this bike legal for street. 207.076. flat
  • dkg999
    edited October 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Not trying to one up you by any means. Just two inches of the sides and tuck tight. Suzu "Had" to to make this bike legal for street. 207.076. flat

Wow! I had read an article where they had quoted 203 as the top speed with just a little work. 207 is amazing. I had to give up fast bikes, I don't heal as fast as I used to and I like having my license and cheap insurance :( Me and my little Sporty Pig just hobble on down the road these days!
    DKG999

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited October 2007
    That kind of reminds me of a coworkers story -

"Just got my corvette... had a drink in my cup holder... was on a long, narrow, straight road - I gunned it. Right around 130 mph, the drink left the cup holder and the vehicle just got increasingly faster at an incredibly rapid rate...

I saw an older lady getting her mail... lol -- and I passed her, hit the brakes immediately, sliding right through a stop sign on the other side...

Called my friend and asked him if he thought she had saw anything...

He just said.. "Dude... all she saw, if anything was nothing but a green BORG!" haha - to funny

175 mph ticket, thats insane..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dkg999
    edited October 2007
    There's a point just past 150 mph where on a bike everything kind of starts happening in slow motion and it gets really quiet and your periphial vision gets blurry ............ and it's very addictive and that's not a good thing :eek:
    DKG999

• dkg999
    edited October 2007
    And now that I totally derailed this thread, back to Mr AudioBliss's issue!
    DKG999

• lightman1
    edited October 2007
    Wow! I had read an article where they had quoted 203 as the top speed with just a little work. 207 is amazing. I had to give up fast bikes, I don't heal as fast as I used to and I like having my license and cheap insurance :( Me and my little Sporty Pig just hobble on down the road these days!

I sold her after that run. And will never sit across a "street legal" again. My 'taters ain't big enough. Good move on the cruiser.
  • lightman1
    edited October 2007
    There's a point just past 150 mph where on a bike everything kind of starts happening in slow motion and it gets really quiet and your periphial vision gets blurry ............ and it's very addictive and that's not a good thing :eek:

Your screen name. Ducati KG999?
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited October 2007
    What county was the ticket issued in?

Best bet is to seek the advice of an attorney who specializes in traffic violations. He/She (if they are worth their stuff) can advise you on self-representation, options for reducing (and having zero impact on your insurance... which is the real problem), or use of your one 'get out of jail free card': Prayer For Judgment Of The Court (PJC).

PM me if you would like a reference to an attorney who will at least line up your options for you, including one to pay him to arrange representation in the county you got the ticket in. He will advise you to save the PJC, because he always assumes another offense will happen, and doesn't want to 'waste' it.

I haven't used him very much over the past 10 years, but when I was young and foolish, I used his good advice twice, and he represented me once.

Do not 'just pay the ticket', at least go and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

MovingTarget in NC
  • lightman1
    edited October 2007
    the flat stretch eastbound on 74 from Wingate to The Rock.Treitz? MXstyler, Movingtarget? My NAD's haven't dropped yet.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    do whatever the judge tells you to do.. i think you'll probably have to take a safety class as mentioned already.. and hopefully. after a year it'll be dropped from your record.

or they could throw you in the slammer and you could become big Red's cell ****. He likes em young and smooth. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :p:p:p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    Do what you want....however, here is my advice (my Mom has worked for the PD for 35 years and know a couple of judges):

Speeding, more often than not, is an air-tight case. Yes, you can get a lawyer (think about the cost involved). Yes, you can challenge the radar gun (approaching urban legend status)....but even if it IS expired, it's not a slam dunk.

My advice? Plead guilty, be respectful and don't make excuses. Generally speaking, the judge will say right from jump street that if you plead guilty he will lower the point/fine/what have you. It's doubtful that you are going to come up with anything that the judge hasn't heard a million times before. The judges that I know say that they go easier on the folks who admit thier mistakes without making excuses.

I would also recommend slowing your **** down.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    My experience with traffic violations...... You go into court guilty and you leave guilty and end up paying it.

Usually if you can come up with a good enough story as why you "possibly" may have been going that speed, but obviously you had no clue you were going that fast, they will usually let you off on a first offense if you have a clean driving record.

After the 3rd-5th time in court trying to feed the same stories, they don't like it and you end up paying. And believe me, just because you win a dispute and the ticket gets thrown out or whatever, does not give you the right to speed again, took me about 3 tries before I learned that.

I ended up slowing my **** wayyyy down......sometimes. My last offense was a written warning for doing 61 on a 35 mph off ramp coming off the highway, the cop was standing outside his car at the end of the ramp(loop ramp, couldnt see him at first) and flagged me down by hand. Told him there was no speed limit posted on the off ramp, which their wasn't and I got a written warning. I think he knew there was no speed limit posted and that's why he was just issuing warnings....talk about lucky :D
  • lightman1
    edited October 2007
    Danger, Troy and Bagged are right. Plead guilty and lesson learned. That was the last time I EVER went above 80 mph. Stiil got the pee stains on my jeans.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2007
    In Indiana... the unwritten rule is that if you hire an attorney... you pay the ticket twice...

Example: Speeding is a $150 ticket. You pay the county clerk $150 fine. You pay your attorney $150. And, the ticket never appears on your record. In short, you can "buy" your innocence and protect your insurance record. They call it a deferral and you are allowed one "free one" every two years. With an attorney, you are allowed as many deferrals as you can afford.

Of course, after a while, you get sick of paying $300 every time you get stopped and you realize what a great amp you could have purchased with those coins and you just give up and slow down.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2007
    Im sorry, but pleading guilty is the worst advice I've heard on this thread.

DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY. If you do, it will go on your record, your insurance will go up, and your parents will really be unhappy then.

You'll have to find out your local laws, but like I told you before on AIM, ask for deferred adjudication or deferred by your safety class. You will pay more initially, but it won't go on your record and your insurance wont go up.
    -Cody