Reasonable Expectation

2»

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    Some people just don't understand what giving is really about.

This is a quote from something that I read that really helped me out big time when I was in deep trouble at one time in my life;

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing a good deed and not getting found out." . . . . *Anonymous*

I agree with Cathy about the entitled generation but my 24 year old son was not brought up that way and it shows. I am raising my 10 year old on the same principles that I raised his big brother. What he does with it in his life will be a reflection of HIS character.

They both have this saying in huge letters on the wall of their bedrooms;

"The Measure of a Man's True Character is What He Would Do in a Situation Where He Knew He Would Not Be Found Out!" Nuff said!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited October 2007
    I assume im a GenX'er?

Nope, you're too young. You had to be 18-29, back in the early 90's. The cutoff is B.D. around '77-'80. I think there are a few terms floating around for people your age: Generation Y, Echo Boomers, or Millennials/Millennium Generation.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2007
    I always heard "Generation Y" when I was in college. We were supposedly marked by our satire and cynicism.

Whatever....
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    I dont want to be an echo boomer, i dont want to be a millennial, or millennium generation, and I really don't want to be generation Y.

I am going to classify myself as Generation Mark....I am one of a kind and no one else can join my generation.

Thanks.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    Agreed Joe, it all depends on how us boomers were raised.

Mom & Dad had all they could do to put food on the table, clothes on our backs, Meds, etc.

Those of us who were told no can't afford it, or get a job & buy it for yourself, taught those values to our kids. Maybe!

Or maybe it's just in the gene pool.

Some people just don't understand what giving is really about.

This is a quote from something that I read that really helped me out big time when I was in deep trouble at one time in my life;

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing a good deed and not getting found out." . . . . *Anonymous*

I agree with Cathy about the entitled generation but my 24 year old son was not brought that way and it shows. I am raising my 10 year old on the same principles that I raised his big brother. What he does with it in his life will be a reflection of HIS character.

They both have this saying in huge letters on the wall of their bedrooms;

"The Measure of a Man's True Character is What He Would Do in a Situation Where He Knew He Would Not Be Found Out!" Nuff said!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    :D ROTFLMAO!!!! Go Mark!:D
    I dont want to be an echo boomer, i dont want to be a millennial, or millennium generation, and I really don't want to be generation Y.

I am going to classify myself as Generation Mark....I am one of a kind and no one else can join my generation.

Thanks.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    Nope, you're too young. You had to be 18-29, back around 1990. I think the loose term for people your age is Generation Y.

Yeah, from what I remember I just missed the Gen X title being born in '75.

I, too, had to work to get what I wanted. Paid my own way since I graduated high school, including paying for college. From what I've seen, there are people of every age/generation that feel as if they are owed something. Rather then an age or generation dictating this, I feel that it's more a condition of how one is raised. Maybe those in our generation that are giving us the status of "entitled" are more recognizeable to those in previous generations while we, the hard workers, blend in with our older counterparts?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2007
    The notion of "these kids today" has existed since time immemorial.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007

Thanks.

I couldn't have said it better (of course....)

I personally find it stupid to stereotipe people's character/principles or whatever you want by their birth dates, and give them a generation name. But that's just me.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited October 2007
    The notion of "these kids today" has existed since time immemorial.

True, but today, kids are staying kids longer! I've seen a few specials that talk about 'extended adolescence' and how many kids today are not fully independent at ages into their mid/late-20's. Whereas, 50 years ago, most children were out of the house and married with children of their own by the time they were in their early 20s. I suppose this is largely what Cathy was getting at.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    George, see what you started? Just send me that list and stop making things public.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited October 2007
    Generation X goes from about 1964 to around 1980-81. Depends on who you talk to. So if you were born in that time, you are a GenX'er.

"Generation X is generally marked by its lack of optimism for the future, nihilism, cynicism, skepticism, alienation and mistrust in traditional values and institutions."

"Generation Y or Echo boomers are terms that designate a cohort of people born immediately after "Generation X." It is one of several terms (including The Millennials and the The Internet Generation) used to describe the same group."

"Generations are not defined by formal process, but rather by demographers, the media, popular culture, market researchers, and by members of the generation themselves. For instance, while the periodical American Demographics typically uses 1976 to demarcate the start of Generation Y, the demographers Howe and Strauss have consistently used "the High School class of 2000", or those born in 1982 as their demarcation. While many possible years are used as the endpoint of Generation Y, the term is almost never applied to current infants, who are part of a possibly as yet unnamed generation. Because of the flexible nature of such demographic terms, two people of the same birth year can identify as either Generation X, Y, or something that follows Y, such as the New Silent Generation and neither is wrong."

But apparently, 1978-2000 can be considered a Generation Y person.

Lucky me, I'm the last of Generation X. The way everybody makes it sound though, we might as well be Degeneration X.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    I thought that Generation Y meant the pussyfication of today's youth.

All the generation stuff aside, making donations and entitlement don't go hand in hand. If indeed there is a generation of entitled young adults are there any studies to show that overall charitable contributions have wavered?

I've found that the rewards of giving far outweigh the gifts themselves. I don't think people in general believe this truth.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2007
    A quote from the past,

"Let men decide firmly what they will not do, then they will be free to do what they ought to do."
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    BTW..did you ever start a new list? My comp was down for a bit and I know I am hanging at two...
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    George, that record I bought from you was quite enjoyable. Please keep me in mind next time you get something good...
    madmax

Max, I'm on it. I had a great bowl of lentil and sausage soup this evening. I GOT a really great (not good, but GREAT) case of stomach gas as a result. I still HAVE it. It's all yours Babe.

Today, parents fill out their college grad kids job applications for them. Then they go to the job interviews with them. Then they negotiate for the kids salary. My brother-in-law recently attended an 8 hour class, concocted to teach him how to deal with these people and not offend them.

Every generation had its ****. I like to think I represent mine as well as any other ****. Going in and negotiating your child's prospective salary brings assholeism to a entirely new level, unheard of in the annals of assholekind.

John, I love you, but is it possible for you to NOT take a sentence personally? Is it possible for you to NOT feel like YOU are being personally attacked? You may want to re-think your statement about why your co-workers feel the way they do. You do this to them 8 hours a day?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited October 2007
    I didn't take it personal George, just trying to point out the hypocrisy of most generational stereotypes. I also find it funny that it's always the last generation that is the only one that can do things right and the next generation is always the one **** it all up.

I think the whole generational thing is just plain stupid. It's demographics that marketers use to sell crap to people who don't need it. It doesn't tell you anything about anyone that would be associated with it.

My co-workers, I don't bother them much at all. They don't seem interested in the work that my manager assigns to me. Why, I don't know but they were all given a chance to man up and take on one of the projects that I ended up getting but none of them wanted to do it because it was too much work. I end up being a glutton for punishment and take on the difficult projects that upper management sees. They go and do the bare minimum to get by and wonder why their reviews are not so great and mine is glowing. Of course I end up working 60, sometimes 70 hour work weeks but I don't mind. It pads the paycheck quite well. Of course, given recent events in my life that you are privy to, I can use all the extra cash I can get!

But see, performance is not only gauged on what you are doing but what the rest of your department is doing too. So if none of them want to take the hard projects and I do and I am successful at them then the degree of difficulty in the work is also taken in to account. When I got a list of heavy hitting projects that I've been successful at and everyone else has just what they need to get the paycheck and go home, they don't look so great next to me. My yearly reviews are typically 10-15 pages. This year, most of the people in my group struggled to fill 6. I had to trim mine back to 11. I worked my **** off and even made one project that they told me was impossible happen. I blew my boss' boss' socks off with that one. I deserve to get a good review and I shouldn't have to apologize for working hard to get that review and the cushy raise it comes with. If everyone else thinks I'm showing them up or something, they should stop making excuses and maybe take on one of these challenging projects themselves.

I only discussed it because I'm still one of the youngest people in my department and most of the people that have issues with me "hording all the good projects" are from the "Baby Boomer" generation. I was just trying to point out more of the hypocrisy of the generational stereotypes. That's all. I'm not trying to brag or anything either. So don't anybody get all up on my case about that too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!