Reasonable Expectation

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Some folks just don't get the big picture.

I sell a lot of vinyl here, and you guys (and gals) know where the money goes. THEREFORE, I am grateful for each and every customer I have. I am ESPECIALLY grateful and thankful for the repeat buyers who spend hundreds of dollars on said vinyl, almost every time I crank out a new list. Good examples would be FredV, BlueMDPicker, old Schleppy, and Polk65. Uncle Tedwick (ReelTrouble1) has also taken it upon himself to raffle off things at Polkfests, expressly with the intention of donating those proceeds to The Githens Center. These men make no demands of me whatsoever. I publish lists, they select vinyl, they send money. No demands. I also have folks who have bought 3 albums off me ONCE, and written out the check to The Githens Center. No problem, I love you, and every penny counts. BUT, there is no reason to include a note with the payment asking me to "remember you" the next time I find let's say, a very collectible Blue Note, or Beatles album, or Zeppelin album, or Pink Floyd album. This is NOT reasonable expectation, and it is just not going to happen. PERIOD.

I also failed to mention Troy and Russ. Russ, I let him sleep in my home and meet my family as a thank you. As far as Troy, well, I have never made the trip to North Charleston while he was away, SOLELY to say thank you. Although I should have.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    BS. I KNOW you posted that on MY computer.

As for the rest of it, I concur

I had one person buy an LP set off of me and I said (as I did on all of them) that I would toss in a few bonus LP's to fill up the box. Guy asks me if I could throw in a couple Mercury Living Presence or RCA Living Stereos for the extras. SUUUUUUUUURRREEE...I'll see what I can do for you.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited October 2007
    Some folks interpret a kindness as a sign of weakness, "a soft touch".

If I may suggest, when someone asks for something a little extra, tell them you'll throw in a little something extra.

Then toss in a fruitcake.
    Sal Palooza
  • George Grand
    edited October 2007
    Shows how much you know. I posted this from the N. Charleston Public Library. We're having your computer room painted.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited October 2007
    That's just not how it works. You don't build trust by asking for personal generosity after a single instance of a good act. Honestly, just because someone buys albums from you and gives the money to the center, it doesn't mean you owe them a favor right off the bat. A charitable contribution is just that. A charitable contribution. You received an album or two for it so it is not tax deductible. But if you are going to make a donation just to get "credit" somewhere else and score brownie points then you are doing it for the wrong reasons.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2007
    it`s greed and selfishness...plain and simple..

those are the poeple that only think of them selves and say gimme, gimme, gimmeee...

even when they are trying to make it look like they are doing a good thing, or something for somebody else, they have themselves , ultimately, in mind...

It sucks, and those type of people suck !!

IMO , of course..

GG....do I get the "hook up" now ?!!
    we`re coool right....!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Damn, im still missing that GG decoder ring, anyone wanna put this thread into childrens wording for me?
  • George Grand
    edited October 2007
    Some people have a lot of balls and ask for ****/treatment they really don't deserve, or really haven't earned.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited October 2007
    Some people have a lot of balls and ask for ****/treatment they really don't deserve, or really haven't earned.

It's not just happening here, it's happening in our society in general. People ask, then they demand, then they sue. What's become of working to earn something, then be greatful for the opportunity to work hard.
    Carl

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    It's very simple Carl. Our generation decided it was a good idea to give our kids everything they ever wanted without having to work for it. Then we decided to not only raise them, but also to raise our grandkids when the lazy buggers we raised decided they didn't want to do it anymore.

So look to all the baby boomer generation who started the ball rolling on the messed up, spoiled, irresponsible kids that were raised who simply continue the cycle!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited October 2007
    Unfortunately for us as a whole, I think you two gentlemen have nailed it on the head:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by George Grand

It's not just happening here, it's happening in our society in general. People ask, then they demand, then they sue. What's become of working to earn something, then be greatful for the opportunity to work hard.
    edited October 2007
    You know, I think that Cathy makes a salient point. I don't think that so much it was a case of wanting to 'spoil' them......However, the previous generation came right out of the Depression and WWII. They want to through some serious struggles and adversity. I think the intent was to ensure that thier kids didn't have to struggle like they did. In reality, that struggle and adversity and the overcoming of it really made that generation special. That lack of struggle and adversity, what my grandparents would call 'character building' is what, ultimatel, has morphed into the entitlement mentality that is so pervasive.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Some people just don't know any better.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    There is a fine line though when you classify an entire generation. Some yes, all..... no.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    That sorta goes without saying....but when you average it out....

Also, it's a fact that we, as a society, have not had the challenges that the Depression/WWII generation had.

BDT
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    TroyD wrote: »

Also, it's a fact that we, as a society, have not had the challenges that the Depression/WWII generation had.

BDT

I agree, but it's also a fact that people have come to realize that this is the way society is and people just need to acculmate themselves to it. It's 2007, not 1947.

People demand more out of society than ever before and it's just the way it is. No reason to get angry, it's just the way people are these days.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    I'd say your phrase is a little backwords. People demand more from their society than ever before...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I'd say your phrase is a little backwords. People demand more from their society than ever before...

Your right, word mess up on my part....thats what I meant but didnt type.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2007
    You will not find a better mentor than Mr. George Grand. It's about a simple as that.

RT1
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2007
    This place is filled with tons of great people. People you never met that would bend over backwards for you just out of kindness, go the extra mile etc.....

But then again you get those kind of people that are just plain, well.... (insert phrase here)

Just the way it is

My 2 c

P
    Life without music would
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2007
    Shows how much you know. I posted this from the N. Charleston Public Library. We're having your computer room painted.

As long as you are using UNION painters... I approve.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    As long as you are using UNION painters... I approve.

I think he wants it finished sometime this year...........so I doubt he is using UNION painters...... ;)
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited October 2007
    I think he wants it finished sometime this year...........so I doubt he is using UNION painters...... ;)

Yes, he needs to get it painted before winter sets in, so he can have the same crew come back early in the spring.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    While I agree very little with the overall political agenda of JFK...he did have it right when he said....

"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country."

This attitude should apply not only to the country but also to your family, your friends, your job or business, etc. Unfortunately we have become a "what's in it for me society". IMO we should have this attitude regardless of whether it's 1947, 2007 or 2107 and it has nothing to do with "old folks just don't understand". That is just a rationalization for poor behavior.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited October 2007
    Cathy is way off base generalizing my generation (children of baby boomers). I was not given much at all growing up outside of a safe home, food on my plate, and clothing (but nothing extravagant). Once I was old enough, I worked for just about everything I have had throughout the years, including all my cars, my college education, my house and everything in it. I've had a steady job since I was 15 years old except for a couple short layoffs. Most, if not all, of my friends from the same generation, grew up with the same expectations of having to work to get what they wanted. None of them were pampered and spoiled other than with loving family.

At this point in my life, most of my friends also have their own children, and not one of them has ever given up raising their children to let their parents do the job. While this may be common in certain parts of society, it is definitely nowhere close to being a majority throughout my generation.

George, totally agree that asking for special favors is out of line. Given the fact that all of your sales are going straight to charity, I feel that it is very rude to ask for special consideration, even if it were someone who had purchased 50+ records!
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2007
    George, that record I bought from you was quite enjoyable. Please keep me in mind next time you get something good...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    No Bill I'm not way off base. It is common through out ALL society & all income levels.

It comes across so clearly in the workplace. These kids come in, expecting to make big bucks for BS's around all day long, then are shocked when they are booted out the door, or given poor reviews. Next thing you know they are gone to try it somewhere else.

It's pretty sad.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited October 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    No Bill I'm not way off base. It is common through out ALL society & all income levels.

It comes across so clearly in the workplace. These kids come in, expecting to make big bucks for BS's around all day long, then are shocked when they are booted out the door, or given poor reviews. Next thing you know they are gone to try it somewhere else.

It's pretty sad.

Well, if you are referring to them as 'kids', then they are probably not really what I consider to be my generation (born in the late 60s/early 70s). Heck, by the definition on Wikipedia, my oldest brother is a 'baby boomer', born in '63 and technically, my parents are not 'Baby Boomers'; although, I always thought of them as such. They were born during The War.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    There can be some big age differences within the generations. Some of it are people born from boomer generation people & some of them are kids born from genX.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited October 2007
    I'm a GenX'er and my parents are both Baby Boomers. I was born in '77, my dad was born in '47 and my mom was born in '51.

I'm in billbillw's boat. Nothing was ever handed to me, I worked for everything. I started working when I was 15-16 years old and got my first 9-5 job when I was 19. I've been working at that same company ever since. I even still maintain a second job. My co-workers at both jobs that are 10-15 years older than me think that I make them look bad because I out perform them. That's not just me though. That's pretty indicative of all the GenX'ers that work here that I know. Glad I could fill the stereotype though.

I think maybe your company has to reassess it's hiring practices if your talent pool is so weak.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited October 2007
    I assume im a GenX'er?