I'm done with Amazon

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Yesterday, F4: Rise of the Silver Surfer streeted. I had the Blu-ray on pre-order with their free 1-month trial of Prime. It should have been in my mail box yesterday, it wasn't. So, this morning I hit Target, picked it up for only $2 more then Amazon's price but no shipping cost and much better CS. I just got an email from Amazon stating that the best date they can give me is 10/15, two weeks after street. **** that, this company absolutely sucks!

I can pick up most titles cheaper then Amazon and not have to wait. I had 6 other HD-DVD / Blu pre-orders, they've all been canceled.

I'm done, this was the last straw in a long line of nothing but problems with them and shipping me product on time.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited October 2007
    Do you feel better now? Do you want a cookie? :rolleyes:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    I don't buy many DVD's any more, but when I want something, I preorder through Walmart; they always have the best price and you have it at your door the day of the release or the day after.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited October 2007
    Sorry to hear, I've been a very happy Amazon customer actually. I buy all my HD movies from them, usually cost me $17 and some change shipped to the house.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited October 2007
    I had a similar problem with amazon in terms of waiting. I ordered a cd and it took more than a month to recieve it.:mad: It was the first amazon experience and the last. I only use ebay or half.com.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    I have never had a problem with Amazon all of the years that I have used them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    I use Amazon enough that I actually pay for Prime; free 2-day shipping on nearly every product they offer. I can usually wait 2 days on luxury items; I admit I'd be annoyed if I had to wait two WEEKS, but at the same time.... it's a movie. Why do you need it so soon?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    I've probably spent $2,000 at Amazon in the last year and a half. No complaints at all.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited October 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »

Too funny!
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited October 2007
    I use Amazon a few times every six months, I opt for free shipping because I can wait; no problems for me.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited October 2007
    My Amazon stuff usually arrives VERY quickly after my order is placed. I'd never put in a pre-order or try to get something that's out of stock and expect it to ship quickly.

The only problems I've experienced are with some of Amazon's marketplace sellers. I waited about 2 months for a Journey SACD to ship once before finally just cancelling the order. I've been waiting about a month for a Lily Allen CD that has yet to arrive.

But, I think their prices on accessories are AWESOME, especially for pda/cell phone / iPod accessories. Also, I recently got a handful of HD-DVDs from them for good prices, including:

Blood Diamond, Batman Begins, and Bourne Supremacy for $39 shipped (arrived in 5 days). 300 new for $18 shipped, Good Shepherd for $13 shipped, Planet Earth for $48 shipped.

Oh, and a few weeks ago my girlfriend wanted an old TLC CD. Got on Amazon and had it delivered for $.01 + $2.98 shipping three days later.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2007
    Sorry to hear your frustrations. Thats pretty lame. I never use them for something I need to have on release day.

That being said, they've been great to me.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    I also had a problem with one of their marketplace sellers that I should have mentioned above.

I ordered a Alice in Chains LP. What do I receive a week later, a Alice in Chains CD. I promptly emailed the marketplace seller about the problem. The next morning I receive a email from the seller, telling me that they're refunding my money and not to worry about sending the CD back to them. Turns out they don't sell LPs at all, so it was a clerical error somewhere.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I have never had a problem with Amazon all of the years that I have used them.

Me, too. I've used them extensively for the past 8 years. Use Prime, too, for free 2-day shipping and $3.99 overnight.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited October 2007
    I have a generally good experience with Amazon, but like anything, you need to compare prices/availability with the competitors, both in-store and online. Sometimes they are the cheapest, sometimes not.
    Without Prime, they do delay shipping and that is frustrating, but if you are patient and can wait a week or so, then their free shipping almost always makes it a better deal.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited October 2007
    I think there like any other large company there will always be some problems.

I waited for 6 weeks on an item that they said that would be available in 2 weeks then was told that they couldndt find it. still waiting on a credit to my credit card 8 months later.

But for the most part they have been reliable and quick. If a company deals with millions of orders there is bound to be a hangup here and there its inevitable.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2007
    Another happy amazon customer, but we do always use free shipping, and only order every two or three months from them. Buy.com have been excellent for us too, and overstock.com.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2007
    HTrookie wrote: »
    I don't buy many DVD's any more, but when I want something, I preorder through Walmart; they always have the best price and you have it at your door the day of the release or the day after.
    We pre-ordered Harry Potter that way: got it the day of the release, with free shipping (or maybe $0.97, I don't remember) and the best price anyone had to my knowledge.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I do, thanks. Peanut butter or sugar, either would be great.
    Why do you need it so soon?
    To watch'em. Tuesday night is movie night for friends and neighbors if we're not at Disneyland. I count on movies showing up on release day, Amazon cannot do that so I must go else where.
    If...
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited October 2007
    I just ordered the Springsteen and Matchbox 20 albums that weren't supposed to come out until Tuesday. I actually got them Monday!!! I order a lot from Amazon and never had an issue.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    Amazon located in my state.. so I have to pay taxes AND shipping charges.. not worth it.. plus BB has day of releases on sale for the first week.. much less expensive.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2007
    hey ron, aren't amazon and target in cahoots? you might wanna boycott them as well...

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited October 2007
    I have been replacing all my dvd's with blu-ray versions using amazon...no complaints. Something brand new I have to have...I just pick it up locally on its release day.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2007
    I don`t know...Amazon`s weird sometimes..

I just ordered 2 cd`s....I get an e-mail sying it`s gonna ship in 5-7 day`s...
    Huh ?!
    whadda ya mean ship in 5-7 day`s ?
    Kinda long time to place the order aint it?

So I get in the mindset that I shouldn`t be in a hurry, and two day`s later it shows up..!!

Go figure !

I use CDNOW, but it goes right to amazon..
    I don`t know of any other place to get music other than Mapleshade
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    hey ron, aren't amazon and target in cahoots? you might wanna boycott them as well...
    I don't know, but if Target has my HD movies on street day, I'll shop there.
    If...
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2007
    i've found that target has **** for selection. and they hardly add any more stock. sucks too, because their prices aren't all too bad.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2007
    I've been using Amazon for over a year for my HD purchases. Got in on the extra 10% off HD early adopter promo. I have Prime also. They ship the new release movies on Mondays so I get them on Wednesdays, which is fine for me. I had one package that got ripped open and the movie was gone, so they sent another one, no big deal. My one complaint was when I sprung the extra for overnight shipping and they still sent it two-day air. Dumbasses. But they refunded the shipping charge to me at least. For me though, especially with the extra discount, their price kills anything local. BB is almost always MSRP and Walmart stocks a whopping 2 hd dvd titles. That about all the choice I have, so online is a must and they do a good job for me.
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited October 2007
    I think some of the recent delays with Amazon has something to do with the new Fox releases, I picked up FF ROTSS at walmart for $29 yesterday but The Day After Tomorrow has been impossible to find so I ordered it from Amazon Tuesday and normally I would have had it yesterday or today with most tittles but delivery for TDAT is Oct. 15-22, two to three weeks after the street date.
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited October 2007
    I like Amazon. Sad that my Prime membership has expired. Sorry to hear about your troubles with them.