Sleep Paralysis

2»

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited October 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    If you easily have lucid dreams, email me, I have some things I'd like to discuss in regards to animals, Polk speakers and me in a bunny suit.

You're on a roll today:D
    PM sent, but I'm going to have to include shag carpeting, Vegemite, and a Cap'n Crunch suit.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    edbert wrote: »
    Your screen name is taking over.

Let's all say a prayer for Wingnut.

Hey. You would be surprised. It happens to a lot of people. I have heard theories that when you sleep, your soul actually travels to other dimensions so who knows?:p Start listening to Coast to Coast and you will have crazy theories too.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2007
    Been there before and yes it is very very scary. Often times I am in a nightmare when it happens, and its the illest feeling. I have tried waking up and I have tried yelling for help and its almost as if your mouth is taped shut or something of the like. Its a very eerie feeling and I really hate to think of it. Kind of spooks me. If youre experiencing it that much, definitely seek an opinion of it, you'll probably get some sleeping meds of some sort. But rest easy and dont eat allot of foods during late hours, that may help in some way.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited October 2007
    bunny suit ?

answer your phone....!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited October 2007
    Is your house built on an ancient Indian burial ground?

Sorry; couldn't resist. I am glad to have never experienced something like this. But, the thought of Mark in a bunny suit terrifies me more :D .

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited October 2007
    Yeap, has happened to me a hand full of times exactly the same way... extremely weird. Personally I don't think it's a bad idea to discuss here. Just finding out that others have experienced it helps a little.

See #10 from wiki about coping. Uh honey I need some help with my "sleep disorder" :)

I'll skip my thinking on what causes this. Don't need the polk patty wagon picking me up today :p
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    You guy's scare me with these out of body paranormal experiences. It's just weird :eek:

Now Doro...everything he says and does seems comepletely normal for him... ;)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    My eyes are always closed, part of the battle for me is just to get them open. Weird.

Me too, my first thought is always focused on the eyes. I either think about forcing them open with my fingers or STRAINING to open themselves.

ZB, I'm glad you brought this up. I've had this for years, and never researched it. Boy, I hate it. Its exhausting.

BTW: I usually have it when I'm light sleeping, like on the couch. Don't usually sleep on my back.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited October 2007
    Happened only once to me about 15 years ago but I remember it as if it just happened. Scary!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited October 2007
    Yup, I get it, sometimes a couple of times a month, sometimes I can go for months without it happening, I can even remember it happening twice in one night. It freaks me out, but I've learned to force myself awake when it happens. It's really weird feeling like you're awake and unable to move.

I really hate it when it happens, I usually don't want to go back to sleep afterwards.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    Wow. It's happened to me, too, but not in the past 12 years or so.

What's happening is you're in between the sleep state and the awakening state, and this is the time when you are most vulnerable to malevolent spirits who want to assume control of your body. So the exhaustion that some of you guys are describing is the struggle between this tormented spirit and your own.

If sleep paralysis occurs often, then your house is probably inhabited by dark spirits. Clean it out, especially your bedroom. Make sure you remove all forms of clutter. Don't fall asleep with the TV or radio on. If it ever happens again, focus on staying calm and control your breathing.

There are some other things you can do, but I've said enough...
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2007
    It's an artifact of the subliminal messages on the forum screen. Hypnotic state that you can't escape. If you slow your monitor refresh rate down to 4hz you can see it. It says, "BUY MORE POLK SPEAKERS".
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    Sona wrote: »
    Routine should help you. Give up caffeine or don't have any within 6-8 hours of your bedtime. Always get up at the same time, save the bedroom for sleep and don't fall asleep with the TV on. Every sleep book I've read about my insomnia always says these things.

Good advice. Also, stop drinking alcohol before bed or smoking weed or doing anything else that will alter your state of consciousness. And since this is an audio forum, be careful what kind of music you listen to right before bed.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    Don't listen to Cradle of Filth before going to bed... :)
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited October 2007
    Just a thought Zombie....but could it be that your sleep position is causing a kink somewhere in your neck, and it is in turn dulling the sensations to the rest of your body. Sort of like when your leg or arm "falls asleep" from being in a certain position so long?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    Thanks a lot guys and gals...
    I experienced much trepidation in bringing this topic up, as I have found few people (a couple of family members and another individual) that even knew what I was talking about. Others just dismissed it as "weird" or utter BS. It's good to know that so many people have gone through this.

All have been excellent ideas and suggestions. And I find it to be no small coincindence that last night I had the best sleep for as long as I can remember.

EarlyB... I'm glad you brought up your point in particular, as my mom (who also experiences this quite often) tends to think along those same lines. As such, I'm not no willing to dismiss those possibilities.

Sona... your duck anecdote is priceless.

Sean... thanks for the well wishes.

Jason
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    Ok, now have you ever seen the future while asleep? That's when stuff gets really trippy where six months down the road your like "wait, I've seen this before...." and you can change the outcome? I've had this happen on several occasions. Only useful thing that came from it was keeping my hand from being smashed by a door and an "event" convincing my wife that it happens- "Your brother's going to be calling telling you Maggie's pregenent...*ring*" Tripped her out.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    Focus on the lottery numbers...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    I have this strange problem of waking up out of a dead sleep in a state of panic and feeling like my body is well over 100 degrees. I can never remember what I was dreaming about and usually it's nothing at all. I sleep with the AC on(my room is usually about 70 or less), fans blowing indirectly toward me, and i sleep with no sheets and no comforter usually.

Usually happens once every couple nights, sometimes once every other night. I don't really know if I have a problem or not, I just kinda dismissed it as I'm different :)
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Ok, now have you ever seen the future while asleep? That's when stuff gets really trippy where six months down the road your like "wait, I've seen this before...." and you can change the outcome? I've had this happen on several occasions. Only useful thing that came from it was keeping my hand from being smashed by a door and an "event" convincing my wife that it happens- "Your brother's going to be calling telling you Maggie's pregenent...*ring*" Tripped her out.

Never happened before. But that's really interesting. After so many odd experiences, I hesitate to dismiss anything.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Are your eyes open? Sounds like something that I've had happen every now and then, I always just figured it was an intense dream.

Sometimes (maybe a half dozen times a year), it's like I can't wake up. My eyes are closed, but I can hear things in the 'real' world. It almost seems like I'm in a body cast and can't move -

Cheers,
    Russ

Yeah, I've had that too, not often, maybe once or twice a year. Always thought it was a nightmare but after this thread, who knows. scary as hell.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited October 2007
    Jason,

go have a sleep study done ASAP. They will tape the leads to your head and chest and get an idea of whats going on with your breathing, brainwaves, eye movement (REM), sleep level, body position, etc.

These people can do wonderful things now. Medical insurance covers most if not all the cost.

Good luck!
    Carl

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Jason,

go have a sleep study done ASAP. They will tape the leads to your head and chest and get an idea of whats going on with your breathing, brainwaves, eye movement (REM), sleep level, body position, etc.

These people can do wonderful things now. Medical insurance covers most if not all the cost.

Good luck!

Yes but they won't be able to detect the Bogeyman.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    Yes but they won't be able to detect the Bogeyman.:p

Bogeyman. I played 9 holes yesterday and had a few bogies. :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited October 2007
    I have had some strange things happen to me also regarding sleep. With me its like a cheyne stokes or sleep apnea sort of thing. It always happens right before I actually drift off to sleep, I feel like im falling then I quit breathing and cant move. I have to actually have to force myself to get out of this situation and to get the next breath.

Its like being paralyzed and not being able to breath at the same time. An awful experience, It can happen 2 -3 times in a single evening then not happen at all for months again. usally sleeping on my side helps if I feel one of these coming on, it starts like a pressure on my chest then the feeling of falling begins.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    I've had this happen to me....4 maybe 5 times. All when I was a kid (first time was when I was about 6 or 7 and the last when I was in college) and I remember each time pretty vividly.

Yeah, I'd go see a doctor if it's happening that often.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut