Sleep Paralysis

zombie boy 2000
zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
edited October 2007 in The Clubhouse
Does anyone else suffer from this? I used to experience it about once a year, but of late the frequency has become more along the lines of two to three times a week. Plus I'm "falling back into it" once I wake up -- which never happened before. Kinda unnerving and if you've ever experienced it, you know how terrifying it can be.

For those unaware of it, imagine being fully awake and aware of your surroundings. Unfortunately, you're unable to move or make any noises. I usually snap myself out of it by either concentrating really hard on moving a finger or trying to make a sound. More often than not, the experience is accompanied by hallucinations. For example... last night I saw two small children running through the room. Bizarre.

I do know that this runs in my family. And I have met one other person recently who goes through the same thing. But usually when I bring it up, people have a hard time grasping it or they think you still must be dreaming. I can't really reiterate enough how this is not the case. I'm very much awake and aware during this time.

I hate appealing to wikipedia, but this may give you a better idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Again, I'm just curious if anyone else goes through this and how they may deal with it.
I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
Post edited by zombie boy 2000 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2007
    Move the bong farther away from the bed. Go see a doctor, not Club Polk.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    Yes. It's been a while but I have had this. It's very scary.It's almost like you are not fully in this dimension and are trying to pull out.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    Exactly...
    and like I said, once or twice a year was tolerable. But the increase in frequency has become somewhat alarming.

Doro.. no bong by the bed:p But if you feel this inappropriate for the Forum, I'll be more than happy to end it.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited October 2007
    Your screen name is taking over.

Let's all say a prayer for Wingnut.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • cnjvh
    cnjvh Posts: 253
    edited October 2007
    Are you sleeping on your back when it happens? I've had similiar experiences but only when sleeping on my back. Sleeping on my side produces no weird experiences at all. Same with nightmares - only happen when sleeping on my back.

My personal theory is there's a part of your brain on the back of your head that acts funny when it gets extended pressure on but IANAD. who knows...
    No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
    Front: Polk Audio RTi12
    Center: Polk Audio CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
    Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
    Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
    STB: Xfinity X1DVR
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    Yes... I'm always on my back when it happens. Hadn't even put that together. And I used to always sleep on my side. You might be on to something there.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2007
    It happens to me more often when I don't get enough rest overall.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    But if you feel this inappropriate for the Forum, I'll be more than happy to end it.

The fact that you would seek medical advice from this bunch of audio perverts leads one to question your mental health as well...

We can help with audio, finances, sex and most other subjects...not that any of it is correct or actually worth a damn...but it won't kill you if it's wrong.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cnjvh
    cnjvh Posts: 253
    edited October 2007
    Ya its weird. It just occured to me one day after waking up on my back after a harsh nightmare. Asked my wife (who's had similiar experiences) if she ever had any trouble when sleeping on her side and she said no. Seemed like too much of a coincidence.
    No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
    Front: Polk Audio RTi12
    Center: Polk Audio CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
    Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
    Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
    STB: Xfinity X1DVR
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    I never sleep on my back; look what I've been missing......

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    Dang, that'd be a really eery experience. I woke up with a crick in my neck once, but that's about it! :p

I enjoy sleeping on my back, side, and stomach pretty equally.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    The only time I'm on my back in bed is when the wife........never mind....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    shack wrote: »
    The fact that you would seek medical advice from this bunch of audio perverts leads one to question your mental health as well...

We can help with audio, finances, sex and most other subjects...not that any of it is correct or actually worth a damn...but it won't kill you if it's wrong.

Thanks for the concern, but I don't think I face any physical danger from it all:p As for my "mental health", I've never debated that:)
    Actually, I happen to think I'm getting some ideas here. The "back theory" is spot-on. And my sleeping patterns have been irregular of late. For example... the Rockies game last night:D
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2007
    I had this happen to me once after using a Ouija board but I was also being strangled.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    ...was there also a pot of petunias in the room? And did you recently eat a ham sandwich? Because if so, I think we've figured out the problem.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2007
    No, but it was while staying at a Holiday Inn Express.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    Yes... I'm always on my back when it happens. Hadn't even put that together. And I used to always sleep on my side. You might be on to something there.

Most people who have sleep apnea have it when they sleep on their back (myself included). Is it possible the paralysis is a side effect of that? I can certainly see your body shutting down if you just went a minute without breathing.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    Doubt it, I suffer from this occasionally and don't have sleep apnea. Sleeping in a upright position can cause this to happen more frequently, meanwhile it'll do the opposite for sleep apnea.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    Eesh.. this would appear to be more common than I thought.
    Good thought on the sleep apnea, but I've never suffered from it to answer your question Bob.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Are your eyes open? Sounds like something that I've had happen every now and then, I always just figured it was an intense dream.

Sometimes (maybe a half dozen times a year), it's like I can't wake up. My eyes are closed, but I can hear things in the 'real' world. It almost seems like I'm in a body cast and can't move - and I grit my teeth and strain and 'pop' out of it. It's intense and exhausting sometimes.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    Exact same thing Russ, but my eyes are always open. I can totally see everything around me. Even if Sportscenter in on the television if I happened to leave it on, I can see Stuart Scott's stank eye while recounting the D-Rays game.

Can hear everything too. I agree... it's pretty intense trying to snap yourself out of it. One time, I was battling so hard to move that I actually threw myself out of the bed. And if I try to make a sound to snap myself out of it, sometimes I'll end up yelling. Like going 0-100 in no time flat.
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    Yep, eyes open too.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    I've yelled a couple of times too. ARRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!

My eyes are always closed, part of the battle for me is just to get them open. Weird.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    Now that I think of it there may have been times where I started out with my eyes closed. But the reason they've been open every time of late is because I haven't been waking up into this state, but rather falling into it.

Like I get so tired and then I feel my body drift off, but I never quite actually get there. But I have woken up and experienced this, as well. Maybe that's the difference.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    I've had this happen every once in a long while (2-3 years). From my understanding is the part of your brain in charge of consciousness is awake, but your body and the rest of your brain are still asleep causing hallucinations and usually difficulty breathing. Medievel times people thought it was a witch stealing your soul.

Go see a doctor. 2-3 times a week is really, REALLY extreme.

Random Question: Do you have an easy time getting into lucid dreams? (This is where you are aware that you're asleep and dreaming and can consciously control your dreams rather than being an actor as your brain works things out)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Face
    edited October 2007
    Do you do shift work?

I work steady midnights. From 8 to 16 hours a day, 5 days a week. This usually happens the most when I'm putting in a lot of hours or aren't sleeping well at home.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2007
    If you easily have lucid dreams, email me, I have some things I'd like to discuss in regards to animals, Polk speakers and me in a bunny suit.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Sometimes (maybe a half dozen times a year), it's like I can't wake up. My eyes are closed, but I can hear things in the 'real' world. It almost seems like I'm in a body cast and can't move - and I grit my teeth and strain and 'pop' out of it. It's intense and exhausting sometimes.

Same here, its like a sleep/awake purgatory. Sometimes I'll see weird stuff too, but that dissipates.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    If you easily have lucid dreams, email me, I have some things I'd like to discuss in regards to animals, Polk speakers and me in a bunny suit.

I can force myself into lucid dreams nightly, only problem is I don't feel any more "rested" in the morning. I think your proposal would fall into the "nightmare" catagory.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2007
    It's generally so terrifying that every fibre of my being is attempting to wake up, rather than go back to sleep. But I have read that if you do manage to go to sleep in this state, then you will experience lucid dreams.

But yeah, I've had lucid dreams before but never made the connection.

Before I head out to see a doctor, I'm going to try to get on a regular sleep pattern. Things have been hectic of late, and so my hours have been very odd and inconsistent.

Funny you should mention the "witch trying to steal your soul" because more than a few of my hallucinations have been in that vein. Sorry if that sounds cheesy. It's always real spook-house stuff. Ghosts and the like. And if we're going to go there, one time I actually felt like something was trying lift me out of my body. The brain's a funny, funny thing. Or at least mine is:D