JL Audio 10W1V2 Subwoofer

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2007
    najahaja wrote: »
    thank goodness ppl take time to read my posts, your welcome

Sorry, didn't know you were a shill for Critical Mass. Do you work on commission or something? I mean, only a salesman looking to make a buck would read an entire thread about entry level subs costing anywhere from $40 to about $200 and then go and recommend a sub costing over $525. I think you need to get a grip on reality.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • najahaja
    najahaja Posts: 32
    edited October 2007
    actually, I live in south africa and have never seen one of those subs.

But then again, someone going around buying mutiple $200 subs until he finds "The right one" is not that clever in my opinion either.

Thats why iu suggested buying one sub that would answer all your dreams instead of messing about with entry subs until you have wasted double what a decent sub would cost.

Have a nice day
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited October 2007
    I don't have much in these subs cuz. I payed 45 bucks for the polk DB sub. It never hurts to listen to all the brands of speakers you can. If you can afford it.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited October 2007
    najahaja wrote: »
    actually, I live in south africa and have never seen one of those subs.

Haha. So why recommend a sub you've never seen/ let alone heard?

That looks just like the old Illusion Audio subs, I used to see them in the IACSA lanes in the late 90's. I also knew a guy who bought their old demo Honda Accord with those 8"s in the kicks and those 15"s in the trunk. Sounded pretty good, but not a lot of output. And not cheap. I wanted those subs so bad until I heard them. Still a cool design, I've still got an 8" here somewhere...
  • najahaja
    najahaja Posts: 32
    edited October 2007
    @Thom.

HAHAHA, would you buy a Ferrari? Why, you have never driven one.

They are called reviews. I read magazines, like Car Audio and Electronics and take the advice of PROFESSIONAL audio experts, on what is good or not.

The Critical Mass subs do amazingly well.

But hey, I was just offering advice, take it or leave it.
    But if you keep buying cheap subs, you gonna get cheap sound.
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Everybody has there preference in the way speakers sound. Just because car audio magazine says jl audio subs sound good don't mean everybody likes them.

Critical mass makes a nice sub for the money no doubt but do I like them NO. Speakers are nothing more than personal preference in my opinion. Everybody has the brand they swear by.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited October 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I have a buddy I compete with that has used those 8's in his doors for midbasses and Im hear to tell ya, they slammed!

Wow. How do you fit subs in your door!
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited October 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Now JBL GT series, I know alot about them! You aren't going to find more bang for you buck in the subwoofer realm. That series of subs is a flat-out performer. I still have a couple of the old treated paper pulp coned GT subs and they still manage to impress today. Especially with being about 8-9 years old. They don't dig super deep like some of the other more expensive subs but they will boom with the best of them and cost about as much as the worst of them. I'd use them any time and if the budget is real tight, I'd recommend them over Polk's products. Power them with a Profile amp and throw in an inexpensive Blaupunkt head unit and you'd be surprised what kind of performance you can get for very little investment comparatively.

I had a couple of those, they were 12's. I actually had those puppies running freeair. I really liked those JBL GT subs.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2007
    Wow. How do you fit subs in your door!

10"s will fit in the doors of an 86 f150, no bass, some mid bass
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2007
    I have 8s in my doors.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited October 2007
    Do you make an enclosure for them? sounds like it could be a lot of work.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2007
    You try really hard to make it an IB enclosure. I'm not done yet, nor will I probably ever get done. But when I never get done, I'll post pics ;)
    -Cody
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Well after running the JL Audio W1V2 for awhile. It's sounds great just not that loud. The polk DB sounds good and smooth also. It just starts breaking up at higher volume or in other words cone starts popping. The Mtx X Thunder sub is just flat out suck. It sounds like dirt and distorts like hell when you crank it up. So after all this mess I went and picked me up a JBL GT series sub and let me tell you it impressed me big time.

This sub is awesome for the money period. It has way more output and bass than the other three together to start out with. I can push this thing to full volume with no distortion. The bass is smooth as hell. Very good sound quality compared to the other three. Im definately a fan of JBL now from here on out.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited October 2007
    ive always liked JBL, i coach high school swim and water polo and we have 2 studio speakers we have connected to a yamaha amp and they are about 10 years old and have been left out in the rain and still sound amazing.

As far as the car stuff, i always thought their stuff sounded crisp and clean.
    I was at a local car audio shop and they had some really shallow lightning audio subs that the dealer said are very good, may want to check those out.

edit: o yeah, i know kicker makes some super shallow subs that i have heard very good things about from people who know their stuff
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    The thing about this sub is you know how most subs you run them until you get up to the point of distortion then you know about how hard you can push them without blowing them. This sub it will only do so much and then it's like it just levels out. It's kinda like a factory radio it will only let the speakers play so loud then it levels out. This is how this sub acts.
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Has anyone noticed that crutchfield is carrying the full line of JL Audio now?
  • exalted512
    edited October 2007
    They have been for a while.
    -Cody
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2007
    ive always liked JBL, i coach high school swim and water polo and we have 2 studio speakers we have connected to a yamaha amp and they are about 10 years old and have been left out in the rain and still sound amazing.

As far as the car stuff, i always thought their stuff sounded crisp and clean.
    I was at a local car audio shop and they had some really shallow lightning audio subs that the dealer said are very good, may want to check those out.

edit: o yeah, i know kicker makes some super shallow subs that i have heard very good things about from people who know their stuff

Kickers shallow sub is not real shallow (4 and 3/16 inches). I heard a ten in a sealed enclosure in a Avalanche and was not impressed. I am looking foward to hearing the shallow mount subs from JL Audio.
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    The Wv1's are shallow enough if you ask me. The 10 only requires 4.4 inches of mounting depth. I really don't like those shallow subs. The air in the box controls the suspension on them instead of a spider. The sound quality can't be that great.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited October 2007
    When a company designs a speaker for a sealed enclosure, the enclosure is meant to control the suspension. Reason why these enclosure are sometimes called acoustic suspension enclosures.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    yes I understand what your saying. Thats why you have a enclosure volume to keep a sub from moving beyond it's suspension limits. But what I'm saying these things don't even have spiders in them to help control the suspension.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited October 2007
    No spiders? How do they keep the voice coil aligned? Will have to read up on them....
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Check out that pioneer premier shallow sub.
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Pioneer's innovative TS-SW2541D 10" subwoofer packs a punch that belies its slender cross-section. Its Air Suspension Control System eliminates the need for a conventional spider structure — a cushion of locked-in air acts like a spring, providing smooth, precise movement of the woofer. This special design keeps the mounting depth of the sub at a slim 3", producing bold bass in places regular subwoofers can't go.

The one-piece die-cast aluminum basket sports a radical fin design, to provide extra cooling and rock-solid resonance control. Rugged internal parts, a powerful strontium magnet, and a cone-reinforcing aluminum dust cap round out the package.
  • bizza
    bizza Posts: 21
    edited October 2007
    cam5860 wrote: »
    Pioneer's innovative TS-SW2541D 10" subwoofer packs a punch that belies its slender cross-section. Its Air Suspension Control System eliminates the need for a conventional spider structure — a cushion of locked-in air acts like a spring, providing smooth, precise movement of the woofer. This special design keeps the mounting depth of the sub at a slim 3", producing bold bass in places regular subwoofers can't go.

The one-piece die-cast aluminum basket sports a radical fin design, to provide extra cooling and rock-solid resonance control. Rugged internal parts, a powerful strontium magnet, and a cone-reinforcing aluminum dust cap round out the package.

Are you after SQ or SPL?

If you are after SQ, try the Dynaudio mw182.... 3 inch mounting depth and deep, accurate, linear and precise bass reproduction... its a beatufil sub....
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    I'm looking for good SQ with good output. But not SPL levels. Therse alot of speakers out here that sound great. But when you crank them up they can't handle the power. They start breaking up. I'm looking for good sound quality at higher volumes of listening. The polk DB set i'm running now. They sound really good at moderate volume but they can't handle higher listening levels worth a damn. I have crossed these **** over all the way up to 150 hertz and they still break down when you crank them up. The tweeters just can't handle it. But the midrange does a decent job. The momo's sound ten times better at concert levels.