JL Audio 10W1V2 Subwoofer

cam5860
cam5860 Posts: 632
edited October 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have always heard great things about jl audio subwoofers. So I decided to buy one of these entry level subs. It's suppose to be pretty good with alot of technologies from the W7 subs. One reason I decided to purchase this was because of the mounting depth. It will fit perfect in my sub box without the plate. The mounting depth is only 4.34. So it should fit like a glove. Also it only requires a 150 watts RMS which is good considering my amp is only 200 watts RMS in bridged mode.
Post edited by cam5860 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2007
    I'd like to know what technologies from the w7 went into the w1...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    About five patents from the W7 Went into these according to there website. Like Elevated frame cooling, Floating cone attach method, surround stress relief, Interlocking cone and dustcap, vented reinforcement collar, DMA optimized motor system. From the way they talk this is not your everyday entry level subwoofer. It looks decent with 9.5 mm of xmax.
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    Although that JBL grand touring series sub looks like a steal. With a price tag of 89.99 and 12.5 mm of xmax. Thats getting your money's worth if you ask me.
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    It looks like it's on par with the momo 10 inch sub. I checked the volume displacement on both subs and they are about equal. The momo checked in at 20.2 in. And the jl checked in at 20.1 in. so there's no difference in the loudest of the subs. But the sound quality of the subs is another story. Volume displacement just tells you how loud a sub will play.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2007
    x-max and VD arent the only factors in deciding how 'loud' a sub is going to be. And then you have companies like our beloved Polk that list x-mech as x-max.

'Technologies' like you listed sound like a bunch of marketing BS as well.
    -Cody
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2007
    One reason why JL is viewed so negatively......you do have to admit they have a very good marketing department.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    I agree it sounds to good to be true. I just hope I don't get dissappointed by this BS company. I would of went with the momo 10 but in regular cab trucks you have to deal with mounting depth. And the momo's are 5 3/4 deep. I only have 5 inchs of depth in my sub box. Thats if I want to keep my seat all the way back.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    It should sound fine, just don't expect W7 results. My friend has a couple of 8" WO's in his truck...I think they sound pretty good.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    edited September 2007
    One reason why JL is viewed so negatively......you do have to admit they have a very good marketing department.

So does Bose:p

Theyre not bad subs, but theyre not first on my list of subs I'd buy in that price range.
    -Cody
  • cam5860
    edited September 2007
    I did not do to bad on this sub. I picked up a new one for 109.00. Which I probally won't recieve before the weekend. Since it's coming from california.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2007
    Not a bad price.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited September 2007
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Tang Bang thats a new one on me. You sure this is not knock off products man. The prices are decent but should be cheaper for off brand stuff.
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited October 2007
    you can say what you want about jl, but i have never purchased anything from them that was b.s. they make solid gear period. maybe overpriced, but solid. im still running 3 10w6's in my girls car, the originals and they are still pounding!! over 10 years of kicking bass, and they sound great.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • exalted512
    edited October 2007
    cam5860 wrote: »
    Tang Bang thats a new one on me. You sure this is not knock off products man. The prices are decent but should be cheaper for off brand stuff.

I dont post knock offs. Just because you havent heard of them, doesnt mean they're not good.
    -Cody
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Ahhh seeing this thread makes me wish i still had my 2 13w7's, first one got stolen, second one they tried to steal but i bolted the box with lags bolts through the trunk from inside the box so they decided just to puncture a hole through it......that was the end of my w7 run, just couldnt afford to pay to play anymore.

I now use 2 kicker s10L7's and a kicker 1200.1 and couldn't be happy, most of the time its too loud so i gotta crank the amp wayyyyy down.

good luck with your w1's, they look like they are gonna be pretty nice.
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Cody I looked over the reviews of tang bang stuff. It's looks to be pretty solid stuff. I did not see any negative reviews. I just couldn't see myself riding around with there gear in my truck tho. Although that 8 inch sub in that pic looks pretty mean. Looks like it could move some serious air.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2007
    I have a buddy I compete with that has used those 8's in his doors for midbasses and Im hear to tell ya, they slammed!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited October 2007
    cam5860 wrote: »
    Cody I looked over the reviews of tang bang stuff. It's looks to be pretty solid stuff. I did not see any negative reviews. I just couldn't see myself riding around with there gear in my truck tho. Although that 8 inch sub in that pic looks pretty mean. Looks like it could move some serious air.

I wouldnt lie to you:)
    -Cody
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Well I listened to this sub over the weekend and it has pro's and con's. First off for a speaker rated at 150 watts. This speaker has awesome boom and output. Also it has great sound quality and can be pushed hard without noticable distortion. Now for the cons it's only good from about 60 hertz and down or in other words it's geared toward rap music and bass in general. I played some rock albums and it is terrible, could not even tell the sub was playing. So I set my low pass crossover all the way up to 100 hertz and it still suck ****. If your into rap music this is your sub has nice low extenstion. if your into a variety of different music you better look elsewhere.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited October 2007
    Many SQ systems actually only have the sub playing up until this point. This is where your front stage should start to pick up the material. I have my system crossed over at 63Hz with a steep slope. My system sounds very nice with a wide range of music. A sub is desinged to play bass, not reach into the the higher ranges where the mids should be doing their work. My Alpine Type-X sub did not have much output beyond that frequency, and it was a very nice sub. It is known as an SQ oriented driver. Give the sub some time to break in, it should start to sound a little better after a little bit.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Yeah I see what your saying man! It's just that polk DB I was running done a much better job on the upper bass lines. But at the same time the jl has better lower extension than the polk. I have my sub crossed over at 70 hertz at a 24 DB slope.
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Well i'm going to keep trying different subs until I find one I really like. I have a new mtx x thunder sub coming tomorrow. I'm going to see how it sounds compared to the jl and polk.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited October 2007
    Just remember to let the subs break in, otherwise you will not really get accurate results as to what the subs really sound like once the suspension has reached it's happy place.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • najahaja
    najahaja Posts: 32
    edited October 2007
    why not spend extra on one nice sub, instead of buying lots of mediocre ones?
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    The reason I can't buy a high end sub is because of mounting depth. Most high end subs need 6 to 7 inches of mounting depth, and I only have 5 inches of depth to work with. That's why I have to buy these entry level subs.
  • najahaja
    edited October 2007
    Have a look at the Critical Mass subs..

They make an amazing sub that actually has an inverted motor (its where the dust cap is) and it pushes out huge amounts of bass. Costly, and you would need to upgrade your amp, but I am sure you would be more than happy with it.

Also, off the top of my head, I know Pioneer and JBL also make decent low profile subs, but nothing compared to the critical mass one.

heres a link below, dang they nice :
    http://www.criticalmassaudio.com/catalog/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2007
    Ugh, it's not Tang Bang, it's Tang Band. It's right there on the website, how can you get it wrong?

As for Tang Band being knockoffs, not likely. They are a large manufacturer like SEAS, Morel, Focal, Vifa and other driver manufacturers that companies use to mass manufacture their drivers. If I remember correctly, before JL became as big as they are, Tang Band actually manufactured JL drivers. All the big names except for the likes of the REALLY big names like Pioneer and Kenwood, have used outsource manufacturers. One of the benefits the outsourcing gets the manufacturers is that they get to utilize technologies and driver designs and sell their own version. Granted not every company licenses the designs to the manufacturer that does the building for them but many do get it worked in to the contract. I'll bet the Tang Band W8 is an old JL design. Certainly looks like one.

As for the 10W1V2, I think it would relate better to the Polk DB104 rather than a MOMO MM2104. Will it be a better sub? I dunno. The DB104 is stout for it's price range and performs well. I've never heard the W1 though so I couldn't say for sure.

Now JBL GT series, I know alot about them! You aren't going to find more bang for you buck in the subwoofer realm. That series of subs is a flat-out performer. I still have a couple of the old treated paper pulp coned GT subs and they still manage to impress today. Especially with being about 8-9 years old. They don't dig super deep like some of the other more expensive subs but they will boom with the best of them and cost about as much as the worst of them. I'd use them any time and if the budget is real tight, I'd recommend them over Polk's products. Power them with a Profile amp and throw in an inexpensive Blaupunkt head unit and you'd be surprised what kind of performance you can get for very little investment comparatively.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cam5860
    edited October 2007
    Yeah I remember the old JBL GT series woofers. I had two 8's one time and they sounded damn good. That was back in the day when circuit city was selling them. Yeah you right they had the rugged cone with a orange triangle on the dust cap.
  • najahaja
    edited October 2007
    thank goodness ppl take time to read my posts, your welcome