Powering Lsi15

polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited October 2002 in Speakers
Guys,

ok, since I have no luck so far in getting any response, let me direct my question to the voice of experience....Mantis, I need your advice:

I will receive my Lsi15 and LsiFx in a day or two, and not quite sure if I need more amplification or not. Currently my HT powered by Denon 2802 running LsiC, RM3000, and a celestion sub. Plan on using 2082 as the brain, and use the preamp out to drive the 15. In the closet, I have a Denon avc-3030, Hafler 220, and Adcom 535. I like to hear your opinion as which amp would be the most appropriate amp to drive them, before I spend money on the Rotel 1075? Thanks in advance.....

Polkatese
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    OK,
    If I where you and had a couple of amps laying around,Id hook them up one at a time and listen to a track you know extremely well.It's a detail thing Id listen for...listen to what amps brings out all the little details in your track.After that Id try a couple different track of different sounding music.

Rotel is a really affordable, clean power sweat sounding warm seperate line.I just lovew there sound since the first rsx1065 I installed with a Dynaudio 5.1 home theater system......Steller!!!!

I'm not finished my quest as the new B&K avr507 is coming out next weeek or so..I gotta play with that for awhile and see if Rotel mates better.Time will tell.

The Lsi's will not run off your Denon well.I own the Denon avr3801 and the lsi15's suck the life right out of it.The rt line was a better.

Good luck man and let me know how you make out......I'm still digging Rotel alot......It makes me smile.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    thanks, bud!

I've been advised to just get the 1075, since it has enough juice to run the C, 15, and Fx with no problem (so I was told)...

btw, I need to start clearing out my closet, anyone interested for a matching pre/power hafler dh-110/220?

Do you have any opinion on the rsx-1065? I auditioned it a couple of weeks ago, it sounds awesome! it was paired with the B&W (forgot the model), now if I can somehow find a buyer for my 2802, I might get there.....:lol:
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Dude,
    the rsx1065 is a awesome sounding receiver.I consider it as a Intergraded as it doesn't have a tipical receiver sound.It sounds like seperates in comparsion to other receivers Ive tested.I can't even begin to tell you how good the rsx1065 is.Simply awesome and I will leave it at that.If cash is a concern ,sell all of your amps receivers and pre's and get the rsx1065....you can't go wrong with it.

It is one of 2 receivers I would by myself for my new theater room.B&K avr307/507 is the other.

Rotel rmb1075 is best matched with the rsp1066.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    You said it! since you have a 3801, compared to the Rotel, what did you notice the most? I like my 2802 and feel that it is adequate and sounds respectable...

I paid retail at GG about a year ago, and then I heard the 1066. Due to space constraint on my cabinet, I am seriously considering another receiver to drive those lsi. The other key consideration, albeit it might sound silly, I like my gear to be infrared equipped, so that I can get complete control via universal remote. Most of the separates out there aren't equipped with ir, especially power amps.

Do you know any internet/mail order place that I can go for Rotel gear? It seems none available on the internet, I just hate paying retail, just like what I did on the Denon (those savings make a big different in stretching the budget and quality of the gears...just my .02 and shopping philosophy)

as always, thanks for your comments!
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    The Denon avr3801 isn't in the same league as the Rotel.No compare.

Ir is on the pre amp as well as the receiver.No worries there.You can trigger the amps to come on so No Ir is needed when going seperates.

The Rotel comes with a nice remote.........nothing like the Pronto but gets the job done....and it's free.

Id own the rsx1065 in a minute.The Denon just doesn't have the tonal qualities nor the drive.Different worlds my friend.
    I don't know of a good place to buy, where do you live??I know good places around the Phila Pa area.There is also a good place to buy Rotel up North New Jersey off of 22 just over the Pa bridge off of 611.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Mantis,
    I just got back auditioning the 1065 again for the third time, it does sounds awesome. They have both with the silver and black...drool flows....:p Let me throw one more thing to you, if you don't mind, If I keep the Denon 2802, use the pre-out along with the rmb-1075 to power the lsi, what do you think?

The guy at the store made that suggestion (surprising, instead of trying to sell me the 1065 off the bat..)

pre-amp to pre-amp features, do you think Denon compete admirably with the rotel?

I live in Southern Cal., but thanks for info anyway

cheers, frank
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I tried using my Denon avr3801 as a pre amp, then switched to the Rotel preamp and there was no compare again,The Rotel amp made a big difference over the Denon internal amps but the Preamp made it that much better......dude if cash is limited..go with the rsx1065 in silver....o man is that sexy......and well priced.

If you want the amp(silver of course)plan on the pre amp as soon as possible,your sound quality will explode.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Just on a side note, I (among other forum members) will be demoing LSi9's and 15's with Carver, Rotel, and Arcam gear this next weekend.

I'm interested to hear the m400a (201 wpc rms) put some REAL power to the LSi's.... I hope to try a vertical bi-amp with the m200t running the highs, m400a on the lows.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Real.....Id like to hear about those results.....keep me informed will yeah......with the real power
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    I'm interested in how the verticle biamp goes. Shoot, either of those amps would drive the LSi without even breaking a sweat.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Real, meaning MORE for this post, don't get your panties in a bunch Danny Boy, nobody 'kicked' your gear.... ;)

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    No offence taken there buddy...........:p
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    .....all 60wpc of it.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    you forgot the dual mono part and the 4 ohm load spec;)
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited October 2002
    Mantis,
    Thanks for the feedback, you mentioned that the rmb1075 and rsp1066 maybe a better combo, since we are looking at about 500 bucks different here, would you say that is a better choice compared to the 1065? I saw the 1055, not to crazy with the look, 1065 is just way too sexy....:D
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I didn't realize amps sweat....do carver???:D
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    polkatese,
    it's a slightly better overall sound quality.They are close as Rotel makes a tight product threw the product line.You also loose the built in tuner....the pre amp has no tuner.No deal for me I don't listen to the radio in the house.And if I do it's laying in bed and Multiroom or the clock radio takes care of that.......If you can swing the amp now then the pre amp later fo for it........2500.00 is dirt cheap for 5.1 seperates..I love it!!!!

I plan on the rmb1095.....this amp is 1999.99 and I also plan on the RB1080 at 999.99.The rsp1066 at 1499.99........So for 4499.97 for 7.1 seperates with 330 watts driving a 4 ohm load should be pretty Manly or REAL man's power!!!!
    The rmb1075 at 200 into an 4 ohm load is no slouch,Id say go for it man......
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    4 ohm spec? I'm stable down to 2 ohm with my pawn-shop Carvers... The LSi's should be seeing near 500 watt peaks this weekend, I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Regardless, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed man. Zig Ziglar once said, you don't have to be great to start, just start to be great.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Russ ,
    is this the first time you'll hear the Lsi's???If it is I believe your in for a treat.500 watts is a ton of power.....man ...

Stop with the battle things I'm in no mood for that my man......I just got done listening to my Lsi 15's and I'm all smiles!!:D :p:)
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    what one????did I miss something?
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    Wooden bat and no steriods either, imagine that.

Yes, my LSi cherry will be popped this weekend, and in 'real' listening conditions too, ie living rooms. I'm stoked. An SDA CRS vs LSi9 shootout is in the works, should be a good $5 worth for me and whole family.

Cheers,
    Rooster (of the 3-sheet Roosters)
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    if yours isn't as big as Russ's, Dan........

Russ must be out of breath circling the bases after that 4-bagger....

BDT
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    The bat thing is way out there............anyways,
    cool dude all that in your REAL listening room....even cooler.the VS's should be real fun....old school vs new school........listening where Polk came from and what they turned into today.I feel the Lsi series is there best work to date....considering size and what nots.......well I'll be lurking around looking for your review next week ........
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    If my what isn't as big as Russ's?

check that post out.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I'm starting to believe you guys are hanging out in left field somewhere.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

a complete flyby....

BDT
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    I see it troy..........but i'll let it go....have fun with it.

how you say????

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa??
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    I stick my honker in the post, wheels shoot RIGHT off....

I can't STOP laughing, OH the pain...

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    LOL....Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think I will sidestep the tires tonight.......have a goodnight guys play nice will yeah!!

I'm out we rented some movies...gonna go sit with the wife.
    Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    well I'm glad that ended,

anyways I hope Polkatese got something out of all that.A learning experience at least..........

It's just the way it is around here man, if you can get past all the bull, you can get a learning experience.........I hope........
    Dan