10K to rollover, where though?

2»

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2007
    The first thing you should look at is your 401K. Make sure it is diversified like Shack suggested. But think twice about getting any of your companys stock if that is an option, since you are already dependent on them for your paycheck.

Make sure you are contributing enough to get the company match (IT'S FREE MONEY!)

Once everything is how you like it...FUGEDUBOUTIT! Go in at the end of the year rebalance everything & forget about for the year.

I read Money & Mutual Fund magazines from cover to cover during the 80's. That is how I educated myself.

I got a Long Term Care policy 3 yrs ago, and my new agent took over my mutual funds accounts. He left things alone for a year & then the following year made suggestions to switch my 2 T. Rowe Price funds to a couple of American funds that I followed. They've been flying along ever since.

I got my agent on recommendation from my successful neighbor who has him for his agent.

The other important thing I did 3 yrs ago at the same time, was to get a lawyer to set up a Power of Attorney, a Will, & a Health Care Proxy!

My mom's passing finally galvanized me into doing these things. Now I can pretty much relax knowing I have measures in place should anything happen to me.
    strider wrote: »
    Reading all this makes me realize that I'm not as knowledgable as I should be regarding financial matters. I'm 32, recently married. My wife's 27 and owns her own business. I have a 401k through my work, she doesn't have any type of retirement plan, just a personal savings account.

Any suggestions on where I might start learing more? My hope is to become more informed myself, get an idea of what's out there, then talk to a professional.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited September 2007
    My old 401k is rolled over to an IRA that's in TDAmeritrade, 100% invested in individual stocks as I got tired of funds. That's about 90% of my retirement savings.

My new 401k is of course funds since I don't have individual stock option. 85% is in international stock. Aggressive, sure, that's the way it needs to be since I'm only 36.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited September 2007
    Ben - If you want to drop me a line I can refer you to who I currently use. I found a private 401k manager for when I left Sprint Nextel.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    10k? That's enough to get one decent 2 meter interconnect.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    10k? That's enough to get one decent 2 meter interconnect.

Holy hell, no kidding? 10K for a cable??? It could be solid silver for that price
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing