10K to rollover, where though?

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
if you had 10K you had to rollover, where would you invest it in?

yeah. i know it would buy a killer 2 channel system.. but not this time. :p
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2007
    How risk adverse are you? Close to retirement?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited September 2007
    Mutual Fund
    Life without music would
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    I would ask the financial investment experts on the Polk Audio forums.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited September 2007
    Depends on how risky you want to be, Safe side, GIC or a money market fund.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2007
    Vinyl seems to be making a resurgence. Just a thought.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited September 2007
    Old tubes, Immaculate Marantz 10b Tuner, some Classic MacIntosh gear, collectible "art"
    Carl

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    Mutual Funds

10.00% SCIENCE & TECH
    10.00% BONDS
    10.00% INTERNATIONAL GROWTH
    10.00% RETIREMENT SHARES (Emphasis on future)
    10.00% ASSET STRATEGY (Global, Conservative)
    10.00% ENERGY
    10.00% SMALL CAP GROWTH
    30.00% CASH (Holding pen to spend on new Funds when needed)

Averaging around 13% return for last 5 years.
    ENERGY has been the best at +19%

What works for me, may not work for you, always consult an investment professional before investing. Historical returns are no guarantee of future returns.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2007
    Al, if you have an life insurance policy call your agent. He/she should be well versed in mutual funds & how to properly allocate that large sum of money so that you are sufficiently diversified.

Or if you already have some mutual funds & they are performing well, then split the money between them. If you don't have an IRA, open one with the entire amount.

Just make sure you roll it over to avoid getting slammed by taxes!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited September 2007
    My pocket........
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2007
    In all seriousness, since you are asking the question, I'm guessing that you aren't "THAT" into investing and as such, you should go talk to a real financial advisor. We don't know what else is going on, what other investments you have, etc... $10K could be your life savings or merely a drop in the bucket. You could be planning on retiring next year or in 40. All of these pieces plus many more are needed to determine where YOU should put YOUR money.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited September 2007
    Buy all the crack you can, sell it and roll the profits over and over... in 6 months - retire. ;););)

For real, see a reputable financial advisor.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Mutual Funds

10.00% SCIENCE & TECH
    10.00% BONDS
    10.00% INTERNATIONAL GROWTH
    10.00% RETIREMENT SHARES (Emphasis on future)
    10.00% ASSET STRATEGY (Global, Conservative)
    10.00% ENERGY
    10.00% SMALL CAP GROWTH
    30.00% CASH (Holding pen to spend on new Funds when needed)

Averaging around 13% return for last 5 years.
    ENERGY has been the best at +19%

What works for me, may not work for you, always consult an investment professional before investing. Historical returns are no guarantee of future returns.

Just a bit over diversified and 30% cash and 10% bonds for anyone under 65 is way too much. Four mutual funds should provide more that adequate diversification for a retirement portfolio. Any more than that and you might as well just invest in index funds that match the market.
    cfrizz wrote:
    Al, if you have an life insurance policy call your agent. He/she should be well versed in mutual funds & how to properly allocate that large sum of money so that you are sufficiently diversified.

Some insurance agents know about good funds for IRAs. Just be careful that you don't let them sell you any type of whole/universal life or an annuity. Those are some of the worst investment options you could get into.

If you have an exisiting 401-k with your present employer, you can usually bring rollover funds to that account. This generally results in lower fees and less tracking. Of course you should be happy with the fund choices and the way the 401-k is managed...but it really does simplify things.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    shack wrote: »
    Just a bit over diversified and 30% cash and 10% bonds for anyone under 65 is way too much.

I don't really hold 30% total cash, thats just an amount set aside, then when I see a good thing coming like the Energy equities (exxon, etc), I can quickly convert the cash over, then I start building again. Actual cash held is only about 7%.

Also, I should note that I was only putting 10% aside for cash untill the market was creeping up to 14k, I don't like to buy high. :) ...and no, I'm not recommending that anyone try to time the market.

Also, it would be pretty much insane to follow any advice from some guy you don't know called 'PolkThug'. :D
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    20 yrs till retirement... and to give you an idea of what i am comfortable with. my 401K is 80% in stocks currently.. if that's any indication. :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    20 yrs till retirement... and my to give you an idea of what i am comfortable with. my 401K is 80% in stocks currently.. if that's any indication. :)

I've feared the 401K stock thing since Enron. at my old company it was about 50% for me. Consider also that that stock stayed at like 70 for 10 years strait. I moved it all out to my new companies 401K and I’ve been happy... except for the fact that the stock (in 4 months) has gone up 5 points (that’s right, had it 10 years at 70 points and the day I sell it, it starts climbing to 75, how F'ed up is that)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shack
    edited September 2007
    I'm currently 64% in individual stocks (5). The rest is in mutual funds with 12% in a large cap income fund, 12% in a mid cap growth fund, 6% in an international growth fund and 6% in a bond fund. All stocks are in dividend stock purchase plans and the income from the funds are funneled back into the funds. The 15% of income I contribute and 6% my company matches is split between the 4 funds.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cfrizz
    edited September 2007
    The 401k is probably the single best vehicle for saving money for retirement. So long as you consider YOUR needs & not the company you will be fine. Unless the only option your 401k has is to buy company stock.

Companies have done away with associate company loyalty. (at least if the associate is smart.)

So long as you don't put all your eggs in one basket, you should do ok.

You know how to work it Shack! Well done!

Silverti wrote: »
    I've feared the 401K stock thing since Enron. at my old company it was about 50% for me. Consider also that that stock stayed at like 70 for 10 years strait. I moved it all out to my new companies 401K and I’ve been happy... except for the fact that the stock (in 4 months) has gone up 5 points (that’s right, had it 10 years at 70 points and the day I sell it, it starts climbing to 75, how F'ed up is that)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2007
    My current setup is:

66% of savings in the 401K's in mutual funds 50% midcap 25% small cap 15% high tech and 10% international (No choice but Mutual Funds)

The remainder (ROTH's and personal accounts) is in about 30 different stocks.

Unless you can keep up the research on stocks, I would strongly suggest Shacks method of a few blue chip, high dividend stocks if you don't want the mutual fund route. In fact, in matters regarding financial advice, Shack would be the only person I'd listen to on this board. ;)
  • cfrizz
    edited September 2007
    My 401k consists of
    20% fixed income
    20% large cap equity with 2 different funds
    20% small cap equity with 1 fund
    20% international equity with 1 fund

My future contributions are split with

10% going into fixed
    50% going into large
    20% going into small
    20% going into international

I rebalance everything once a year.

So far it has gained 10% this year.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited September 2007
    Reading all this makes me realize that I'm not as knowledgable as I should be regarding financial matters. I'm 32, recently married. My wife's 27 and owns her own business. I have a 401k through my work, she doesn't have any type of retirement plan, just a personal savings account.

Any suggestions on where I might start learing more? My hope is to become more informed myself, get an idea of what's out there, then talk to a professional.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    strider wrote: »
    Reading all this makes me realize that I'm not as knowledgable as I should be regarding financial matters. I'm 32, recently married. My wife's 27 and owns her own business. I have a 401k through my work, she doesn't have any type of retirement plan, just a personal savings account.

Any suggestions on where I might start learing more? My hope is to become more informed myself, get an idea of what's out there, then talk to a professional.

Find a financial planner. It can sometimes be rough finding a good one, but I would suggest networking through people you know and trust to find one.

My financial planner happens to be a very good friend of the family and I started meeting with her since I was 18. She's been doing my financial planning ever since.

Also, while no doubt some of the advice here is probably good, NONE of it relates to anyones personal situation, which is what a financial planner will be able to delve into. They'll get you on a good track/better track and start giving you options, and the more money you have to move around, the harder it can work for you.
  • shack
    edited September 2007
    strider wrote: »

These are three that I like, but there are many more. I have never thought very much of Money Magazine and I would avoid that idiot Jim Cramer (CNBC'S Mad Money). If one had actually followed his advice, right now you would be underperforming the market.

http://www.kiplinger.com/

http://www.morningstar.com/hp.html

http://www.fool.com/

At the very least go to the financial sections of the sites like MSN or Yahoo. There are lots of articles there...some good, some bad...but it will at least give you a basis to get started.

• shack
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Find a financial planner. It can sometimes be rough finding a good one, but I would suggest networking through people you know and trust to find one.

My financial planner happens to be a very good friend of the family and I started meeting with her since I was 18. She's been doing my financial planning ever since.

Not a bad idea...IF...you do it right. Make sure they are a CFP (certified financial planner). Also make sure they are strictly a "fee for service" planner who will charge you by the hour or plan...and NOT someone who wants to sell you something. The ones that work for banks, insurance companies and brokerage firms MAY be ok, but generally the best ones are independents who have no ties to any one firm or group of investments. If they are doing well, it is because they are good and have a good client base. Always ask for referrences.

• jdhdiggs
    edited September 2007
    I would highly recommend fool.com. I've been a member of that site since about '97 or so and it really lays things out as basically as possible so anyone can understand.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited September 2007
    Great stuff. Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2007
    If I were you I would roll it all over to my Etrade account.

LOL. Seriously. if I had $10000.00 to invest right now at my age I would put it in some aggressive biotech stocks but that would be if it were an extra 10k. I do actually have 10k wrapped up in some speculative stem cell stocks which may or may not pay off down the road (way down) but I have 16 years to retire so time is on my side. If we all don't blow up first.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • shack
    edited September 2007
    Danger - You could always load up on DEIX stock (all time low, price drop of 73% in less than a year - $16.14 Nov. 06 - $4.22 Today). Buy lots of Def Tech and Polk speakers and watch your investment soar.....:confused:

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2007
    I would invest in Dibs R Us, I can sell you shares on the cheap!!!!!

At Dibs R Us we care about you and your Dibbing.

Dibs preferred. Paypal is not.

RT1
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    so many options out there.. but I agree.. the smartest thing I need to do is talk to a financial planner...
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited September 2007
    Mark Levinson number 32 preamp.
    I'd be rocking and rolling over all day and night listening to that beast.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.