Rope Caulk For Polk Drivers

Options
ka7niq
ka7niq Posts: 577
edited September 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Anyone have any experience with rope caulking the Polk driver baskets ?
I have used it on Horns with mixed results, and on conventional drivers with the same results.
Sometimes it worked, but I have also removed it from some drivers.

I was Thinking about doing my MW 6511 drivers :)
Post edited by ka7niq on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have never considered it as basket treatment, I use Dynamat type resonant mat for baskets. I have used the rope between driver and cabs before with good results in sealed boxes.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have never considered it as basket treatment, I use Dynamat type resonant mat for baskets. I have used the rope between driver and cabs before with good results in sealed boxes.
    In my Horn days, it was quite common to rope caulk a Horn, even a compression driver.
    Driver baskets ring, especially a stamped one.
    Vibration from the basket can go into the cone/surround.
    The NICE thing about the rope caulk is it can easily be removed IF ya don't like it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Dynamat works much better as it is designed for purposes such as that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ka7niq wrote: »
    I was Thinking about doing my MW 6511 drivers :)

Naw, use dynamat. Its cheap enough.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have heard of Dynamat, never tried it.
    I will chack it out.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The peel and stick aluminum backed (Dynamat Extreme I think) type is the easiest and best to work with. No heat gun required to activate the glue...like the Dynamat "Original". Man, I've scorched some hands on that stuff thru the years!

You can get the 10" X 10" squares at a street price of $20 to $25 at BB or CC typically. That should be enough to cover them as it doesn't take having to cover them completely for good results.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.