Aquariums - I know you all must have had one at some point

2»

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Sounds like you already made your decision, eh? :(

Yep, sorry on that, i want some fishies. I'm hoping they like 2 channel SDA music cause they are gonna be listening to lots of it.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited September 2007
    saltwater, hell no. most gorgeous, but most time-consuming and expensive. and i agree with demiurge. but if you decide to go ahead with a tank anyway, get a 30-35 gallon set-up. that, or make sure folks want to keep the 125 gallon when you're gone. i was actively seeking a set-up for 6 months, doing all the research and joined a few forums. i own my own house. but in the end, i opted NOT to do this. my only advice to you is research until your eyes bleed before doing anything at all. it took me 6 months to talk myself outta doing it. glad i did.

and btw, usually the stuff on craigslist is crappy when you see it in person. and no warranty. get what you pay for. if you move to an apt, they may charge you a security fee for having a tank or waterbed. that, or renter's insurance is needed. also, don't go into purchasing a dog or any pet under a 'temporary' mind-set.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    if you move to an apt, they may charge you a security fee for having a tank or waterbed. that, or renter's insurance is needed. also, don't go into purchasing a dog or any pet under a 'temporary' mind-set.

Wouldn't even consider puchasing a pet under a temporary mindset.

Also have no plans to ever rent an apartment, for any reason.

I currently live in an in-law apartment with the parents living in the house. When I move out, it will be into my own house.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2007
    Saltwater is difficult as all hell to me. The fish are very pretty and colorful however the hobby is very time consuming. Freshwater plus he decided on Oscars should prove very easy. Once you buy the tank, depending on size let your water cycle week to two weeks before adding any fish, from there its pretty much self maintenance. You want to buy a python water cleaner, makes zero mess and is the best thing ever for water changes. I bought mine online through petsmart, check it out https://www.petsolutions.com/Python-No-Spill-Clean-Fill+I94002514+C10251.aspx Your oscars should prove to be very aggressive as they get older, they have a very nice bite, so dont try playing in its mouth as I did, I've been biten by the red bellies too while cleaning the tank. Very painful, felt like a thousand pins were in my finger at once. Oscars will eat goldfish and pellets, I was feeding the Oscars and the RBPs 40 goldfish a week. So make sure you plan for that as well since they grow rather fast.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    So I was telling a friend what I want to do and he said I should just get an aquarium screen saver and be done with it. :eek: :eek:

No need to feed it or take care of it
  • auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited September 2007
    Cool video on that site. Unfortunately I found out that in the People's Republic of Massachusetts RBP's are illegal. However in every bordering state they are 100% legal, go figure.

Oscar is what I am going to go with. Care level is easy and they have good personalities I hear.

They are aggressive...and will eat all kinds of things...just stick it in the tank and watch...well, that is when they get bigger.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited September 2007
    And if you add to your aquarium...you'll need to go with either a docile type fish like catfish...or another type of Cichlid...Oscars are aggressive, and territorial. It will probably kill, or harass, any other fish you put in there, unless that fish is aggressive too...but then you may end up with a duel to the death...or very ugly fish with missing scales, and missing fins.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited September 2007
    Just so you know a 55 gallon is not big enough for two adult Oscars. I speak from experience. I would get 75-90gal. Oscars are an awesome fish and will eat pretty much anything you put in the tank (also know this from experience, but don't ask what I fed them haha) but they can be very messy, **** a lot and will dig up anything you put in the tank lol. If you feed them live fish I recommend doing frequent water changes as it will become very acidic very fast.

Here is my old pair:
    oscars.jpg
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics