Aquariums - I know you all must have had one at some point

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok, so as a little boy I had a 15 gallon fresh water aquarium with some simple fish.......BORING.

Now that I am a bigger boy I am looking to set up something in the 100-125 gallon range, I realize it is expensive but people on craigslist are giving fish tanks away with equipment and everything so I am going to try and collect parts from different people to get a good setup going.

However, I have NO CLUE what a tank in the 100-125 gallon range needs. My goal is to put in 3-4 red bellied piranha when the tank is complete and has been running for a few weeks for stable water.

I know I need simple things like filter, heater, undergravel filter, lighting, etc, but what sizes and what brands are the best? Last aqaurium I had was 10 years ago atleast.

The piranha eat live fish so I definately need some sort of good gravel filter and probably some type of large algae eater fish that the piranha won't eat.

Any help is appreciated, it's getting lonely around here and i hope the fish can keep some company.
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2007
    it's getting lonely around here and i hope the fish can keep some company.
    Wow. That's true desperation.

:rolleyes:

:p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Wow. That's true desperation.

:rolleyes:

:p

I agree, it is.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited September 2007
    I used to breed Discus in a 30gal tank.

In my experience, AllGlass makes excellent tanks. As for filters, I had a couple. I used a Second Nature wet/dry filter that was excellent for breeding Discus (I don't think they make that filter anymore). I also had a Fluval canister filter that was excellent.

Funny you posted this as I've been thinking about setting up again. It's been a while since I ran a tank..

The pick below is from the internet, but I had a breeding pair just like these:
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    The more youtube videos I watch the more I want to increase my number from 3-4 to 7-8 red bellied piranha.

The more the merrier and they make sure they eat all the goldfish rather than letting parts sink to the bottom.

For the larger tanks I am reading that I should use canister filters versus the ones that hang on the side of the tank? That true?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    My daughter`s boyfriend has a couple of tanks...

It can be alot of work, but definately worth it

I have been thinking about going saltwater, but that is too much work to start with

100 gal tank should be sweet !!

Post pic`s when you get it up and running
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • chillywilly
    chillywilly Posts: 167
    edited September 2007
    I personally use marineland. My fish guy won't even carry Hagan (fluval)
    FXi3 sats
    RTi10 fronts
    CSi5 center
    velodyne dps 10
    denon avr 888
    velodyne dps 12
    sammy lcd
    ps3 60gig
    wii for family
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »
    My daughter`s boyfriend has a couple of tanks...

It can be alot of work, but definately worth it

I have been thinking about going saltwater, but that is too much work to start with

100 gal tank should be sweet !!

Post pic`s when you get it up and running

Nothing will be up and running if i can't figure out what i need.

I keep google searching but come up with stupid personal websites of people feeding their piranhas and such, no detailed facts about whats needed.
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited September 2007
    I used to be big into aquariums. I still get the urge to get another one but I don't have the room.

For a 100-125 gallon tank, you'll need 500 watts of heating, and at least 300gph of filtration. Ebo Jager heaters are pretty well regarded. My favorite heater was my Won Pro heat Titanium.

I've always preferred canister filters (Eheim is the best), but the hang on Aquaclear filters are great too. I don't like undergravel because all that gunk collects under the plate and raises nitrates. If I started another tank, I would try a filterless setup, with live plants and a light fish load. I had a small tank set up like that and it was the most trouble free setup I ever had.

3-4 Pirahnas would be a good conservative load for a 100+ gallon tank. Less fish=less maintenance and a healthier tank. You could probably add a large Pleco as a scavenger. I don't know if he'd get eaten, but would fare better than any other algae eater. Provide a good hiding place for him.

If you aren't growing live plants, light doesn't matter, whatever looks nice. Just don't get too powerful a lighting setup or you'll get an algae bloom.

Do a search on "fishless cycling". It's the best way to get a tank ready to support fish.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    I was just reading and they said atleast 265 gph for a filter on 125 gallons. I would assume that the more the filtering the better, especially when your feeding your fish other live fish.

I will look into all those brands you listed. Thanks.
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited September 2007
    Definitley a sump setup or a canister filter system for tanks 100+ gallons. GPH is partially dependant on the type of fish and how much current they like. 265 would be a minimum.

I currently have a 135 gal freshwater tank, with a 4 Jack Dempseys (one breeding pair) and a 12" catfish.
    Fishtank3.jpg
    catfish3.jpg
    parents.jpg
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2007
    I too wish to jump in with both feet and do a 125+ Salt water tank. But being $$ and time killer I haven't done it yet.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    I found the bigger the tank the less the hassle with cleaning. I liked oscars. They get really big and are a very stout fish. Mine liked to play a lot. I could hold a stick above the water and they would jump up and grab onto it. Pretty cool!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited September 2007
    Ditto on the Oscars, they can get huge in the right tank and actually do seem to have a personality.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited September 2007
    Don't do the under gravel filter. (if you decide you have to - go with a reverse flow.)

They appear to work at first, but they just pull all the crap in your tank into your gravel where it will sit there forever.

a canister filter will keep your tank sparkly clean, but you also need something for the biological to work with. I have had good luck with Emperor filters (from marine land). I would run at least two of them . (two per side if they fit) wet/drys work great (if they fit) but you will need a sump \ overflow system for them to be really effective.

fish that eat other fisth are really messy, keep that in mind with whatever filtration you decide on.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited September 2007
    eheim are the best,would go with one of them. i have one still going after 20years
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    So Mark, I thought you wanted to save up money so you could move out of your parents' house, and now you're buying a money pit like an aquarium?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    So Mark, I thought you wanted to save up money so you could move out of your parents' house, and now you're buying a money pit like an aquarium?

I do, but you can get aquariums and equipment for free on craigslist, just gotta know what to look for. Have a look yourself, people give away the tank, stand, filters, heaters, everything, so I'm hoping if i can figure out what i need I can mix and match enough to build a solid aquarium.

My savings right now isn't going to help me get out, it's a matter of graduating and landing myself a nice job. No part time job will even come close to giving me enough money to get outta here and I've been getting along a little better on the home front thus leading my parents to getting my bathroom, closet and hallway re-tiled.
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited September 2007
    Also, you need to think about the kind of weight a big tank like that brings. Are you planning on this being upstairs or on a main floor? You need to know which way the framing and joists go. Hate to have it fall through your floor. :D 1 gallon = 8.35 lbs, plus a glass tank weighs a ton, add the rocks and sump that holds extra water. It adds up really fast.

My tank weighs about 1500 pounds with rocks, sump, stand, etc.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    Also, you need to think about the kind of weight a big tank like that brings. Are you planning on this being upstairs or on a main floor? You need to know which way the framing and joists go. Hate to have it fall through your floor. :D 1 gallon = 8.35 lbs, plus a glass tank weighs a ton, add the rocks and sump that holds extra water. It adds up really fast.

My tank weighs about 1500 pounds with rocks, sump, stand, etc.

Basement, concrete slab, I'm safe.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    I do, but you can get aquariums and equipment for free on craigslist, just gotta know what to look for. Have a look yourself, people give away the tank, stand, filters, heaters, everything, so I'm hoping if i can figure out what i need I can mix and match enough to build a solid aquarium.

My savings right now isn't going to help me get out, it's a matter of graduating and landing myself a nice job. No part time job will even come close to giving me enough money to get outta here and I've been getting along a little better on the home front thus leading my parents to getting my bathroom, closet and hallway re-tiled.

Well, you will likely learn from your mistakes, but any opportunity to help prevent someone from making them is not something I think we should pass up.

Speaking from experience, do not buy an aquarium until you have your own place. When I say your own place, I mean a place you actually own. A place you're going to live in for many years.

They are a pain in the **** to maintain as it is. That said, people do enjoy that pain in the ****, however the pain is compounded when you're renting. It's extremely expensive and just not worth it in the long run.

Please keep in mind that I am speaking in general here. Keeping fish is a great hobby, but it's just one of those hobbies that is best for people who own their own home.

The best thing to do when you're single (not married) and living in apartments/with roommates is to live as light as possible. It's bad enough trying to lug around an HT, let alone trying to move an aquarium (and it's contents), which includes rocks/etc. that are covered with living organisms required to be part of the environment for the various species you have in it to survive.

Having an aquarium is much more than just filling it with water and throwing fish in. In fact, you can't put fish into your aquarium for a long time until the water and environment is ready for it.

Don't do it. :)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Well, you will likely learn from your mistakes, but any opportunity to help prevent someone from making them is not something I think we should pass up.

Speaking from experience, do not buy an aquarium until you have your own place. When I say your own place, I mean a place you actually own. A place you're going to live in for many years.

They are a pain in the **** to maintain as it is. That said, people do enjoy that pain in the ****, however the pain is compounded when you're renting. It's extremely expensive and just not worth it in the long run.

Please keep in mind that I am speaking in general here. Keeping fish is a great hobby, but it's just one of those hobbies that is best for people who own their own home.

The best thing to do when you're single (not married) and living in apartments/with roommates is to live as light as possible. It's bad enough trying to lug around an HT, let alone trying to move an aquarium (and it's contents), which includes rocks/etc. that are covered with living organisms required to be part of the environment for the various species you have in it to survive.

Having an aquarium is much more than just filling it with water and throwing fish in. In fact, you can't put fish into your aquarium for a long time until the water and environment is ready for it.

Don't do it. :)

Great advice......I've always wanted a dog but the rents would never let it fly......however now they seem to be more willing.....I may try and push the dog thing again since my mom kinda wants one as well. Only issue I see about a dog is who gets it when I move out.
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, don't do that either. ;)

If you're feeling 'bored' go out and interact with people!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Yeah, don't do that either. ;)

If you're feeling 'bored' go out and interact with people!

If I was good at that.......nevermind
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    So Saltwater is definately out of the question, when I move it would be just impossible to transport that.

I went to the pet store today for a look around and 100 gallons is much bigger than I anticipated.....I think a 55-75 gallon would be more in my range. Oscars will be the fish of choice...nice garbage disposals as the pet store employee called them today.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2007
    Definitely go with marineland products, for tanks setups check www.tenecor.com and they can get you setup for a good price. I have 3 red belly piranha in a 90 gal tank. I also had an Oscar and + 1 on the personalities they seem to have when you come up to the tank. I like the piranha for mouse feedings. Thats just awesome. I'll probably add 1 or 2 more since they do more damage in packs. My current fish measure in at 7 inches each.

http://www.extremescience.com/Piranha.htm
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    A guy I work with had a saltwater tank. He moved a few years back, it took us an entire day and a LOT of equipment to get his stuff moved (including pumping his tank into a large container down ina truck and then pumping it back up into his new house).

Tanks just aren't worth the trouble IMO. You really have to be into it for the hobby of actually maintaining the thing, not for looking at pretty fish, wh ich will get old fast with all the maintenance.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Definitely go with marineland products, for tanks setups check www.tenecor.com and they can get you setup for a good price. I have 3 red belly piranha in a 90 gal tank. I also had an Oscar and + 1 on the personalities they seem to have when you come up to the tank. I like the piranha for mouse feedings. Thats just awesome. I'll probably add 1 or 2 more since they do more damage in packs.

http://www.extremescience.com/Piranha.htm

Cool video on that site. Unfortunately I found out that in the People's Republic of Massachusetts RBP's are illegal. However in every bordering state they are 100% legal, go figure.

Oscar is what I am going to go with. Care level is easy and they have good personalities I hear.
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like you already made your decision, eh? :(
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited September 2007
    Saltwater aquariums are the way to go. Fish have a lot more color and different fish have different attitudes.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.