Interplanetary space travel?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Could be!

http://www.tfot.info/news/1006/mini-mag-orion-will-reach-for-the-stars.html

Looks interesting and a pretty viable concept. What's even cooler is that it's derived from an idea first floated back in like 1958.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited September 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Could be!

http://www.tfot.info/news/1006/mini-mag-orion-will-reach-for-the-stars.html

Looks interesting and a pretty viable concept. What's even cooler is that it's derived from an idea first floated back in like 1958.

Can I make a list of suggested passengers for the trip?:D
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2007
    very cool
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    Will be obsolete by the Warp engine!

I think there is still a ban on sending radioactive materials up in a rocket right?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Imagine being off the planet for more than a YEAR? Even with this, six months each way on a rocketship not on the planet Earth.

That's just insane to think about.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited September 2007
    That's awesome to think about!

I can't even imagine how cool it would be to be able to get in a ship, fly off to arrive at another planet! That would be flat out incredible! Especially if that planet was outside the solar system or even outside the galaxy.

I don't think we'll see it in my lifetime though. So for now, it's just pipes dreams and what-ifs while looking up at the night sky wondering just what the hell is out there?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Haha, the end result is awesome. I just can't imagine being in a ship for six months straight. I'd freak out, no matter how big the ship was.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Ion propultion is another technology that has great potential. It can achieve very high speeds but it accellerates much slower which is easier on the human body. Plus it is much more fuel effecient.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/deepspace_propulsion_000816.html
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Ion propultion is another technology that has great potential. It can achieve very high speeds but it accellerates much slower which is easier on the human body. Plus it is much more fuel effecient.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/deepspace_propulsion_000816.html

Read a lot about that. Isn’t the Ion drive what they used on that satellite that a few years back they landed on that huge asteroid. Now that sheet blows your mind. Launch a satellite, toss it way the hell out there in space and target a asteroid that’s like 1 mile in diameter... hit it, orbit it and then land on it. friggen amazing.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2007
    It will be interesting to read what type of shielding system is proposed to protect this type of high velocity spacecraft from impact damage from space debris.

This ion drive spacecraft can theoretically reach a speed of 10% the speed of light, or 1.116 million miles per hour. Consider the cosmetic damage that a small rock can do to a car's windshield or front bumper at mere highway speeds. Now consider running into that same rock at over 1 million mph.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    It will be interesting to read what type of shielding system is proposed to protect this type of high velocity spacecraft from impact damage from space debris.

This ion drive spacecraft can theoretically reach a speed of 10% the speed of light, or 1.116 million miles per hour. Consider the cosmetic damage that a small rock can do to a car's windshield or front bumper at mere highway speeds. Now consider running into that same rock at over 1 million mph.

Ive actually been amazed that there hasn’t already been trouble with existing satellites and craft. Material in space can be moving at any speed and usually fast. All it takes is a couple of grains of sand hitting something at 8000 mph to cause some serious trouble.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    That is an interesting point. I know a lot of the components on a satelite are as thin as tin foil.

Still, some are heavily shielded. I know they sent a satelite up to fly in the tail of a comet. There is a buttload of debris flying around back there. They used multiple layers of shielding with about a 1" space in between them. Nothing got thru.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D