This should be interesting, which is better pro football or college football?

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2007
    And yet both of those teams would get crushed by the worst of the worst in the NFL....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited September 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    And yet both of those teams would get crushed by the worst of the worst in the NFL....

Even though you knew the College team would get beat by the Pros, who would you pull for?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2007

I think its precisely this kind of rational that divides those who prefer the NFL to those who prefer NCAA. If you don't get it, you just don't get it.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2007
    Pro. I have been a fan of the steelers since I can remember and I can't get into college football just cause of the BCS ****.

How it pretty much works here in pittsburgh, the steelers always come first and the pitt panthers(at least the football team) are a distant second. My penn state buddies always talk about how big penn state football is. I always reply with, lets put a pro team with the #1(or close to it) fan base in the NFL into State College and see if they have the same popularity...

Now when it comes to Pitt basketball, thats a whole different story...
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    Read it again, the AP doesn't count towards the BCS, which as noted, is the result of a season-long playoff.

OK, so as of last year the AP doesn't count towards the BCS, but there's a new ranking system that does count, and it's still based partly off of media and the opinions, which may be biased, of others, not solely on the wins and losses. :
    The Harris Interactive Poll is comprised of former players, coaches, administrators, and current and former media who submit votes for the top 25 teams each week.

Also, your season long playoff bit is also not true. The definition of a playoff :
    A playoff in sports (North American professional sports in particular) is a game or series of games played after the regular season is over with the goal of determining a league champion. The championship of a league may be determined by as few as a single playoff between two teams, or by an elimination tournament involving several teams.

Considering most college teams pick their own opponents for the most part, and whenever possible pick fluff opponents and play a majority of their games at home, the idea of the "best teams" is dubious anyway. It's not a level playing field by any stretch. What's your favorite college team? How many division 1-AA teams did they schedule this year? You don't see NFL teams playing against some other lower-tiered league, and claiming that beating said team makes them more championship worthy. Read the first few paragraphs of this column, which echoes my thoughts on the matter.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    Hey, didn't we do this last year, twice? :)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited September 2007
    I can honestly say I'm split on this one. No vote from me and no soup for you.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    This thread is so un-American since there is no option for both. :p
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Hey, didn't we do this last year, twice? :)

Yeah but watching the argument stew and seeing the broken logic behind both sides is so much fun! I hear this crap get bantered back and forth every year between people in bars, at the shop, on the Internet, even at work. Yet no one has been able to form a convincing argument because it always boils down to who has "heart" and that isn't a concrete idea there. How do you define it? If you can't define it, how do you qualify it? Is it like ****? I can't define it but I know it when I see it? You can't build an argument around it.

I just figured we'd get the silliness out of the way early this year.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I think the BCS is a bunch of ****. I want a playoff system, but it really doesn't stop me from loving College Football. To me, it's just a completely different kind of game than Pro ball, which I also love.

I couldn't honestly say which is better, it changes from year to year depending on what teams of mine are competitive at either level.
  • Home Theatre
    Home Theatre Posts: 469
    edited September 2007
    I enjoy college football a lot more. More exciting to me. I love both.
    Everything I own burned in the fire!!!!!!!!!!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited September 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    With a handful of exceptions, folks above the Mason-Dixon line don't have a clue about college sports, hence pro-everything dominating up there in Yankee-land.

Go Jackets!!!

Wes

???? I guess you don't get out much.:D
    Last time I checked, college football/basketball was big in a lot a places up north.
    Don't even get me started on wrestling in Iowa!
    The focus on college/Pro seems to come from what's available locally.
    An area with a big college town is going to be hot spot for college athletics.
    Dallas seems to be pro first, college second. Other than the Red river
    shootout, I don't seem to here as much about college sports here.
    Believe it or not, HS football seems to really rile up the locals.
    The local school district decided that updating the football fields was more
    important than expanding the cafeterias. Students were eating in classrooms because
    there wasn't any room. But serveral of the district's HS teams have won state!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    Good call, gotta be one of the more ignorant comments I have ever read around here. Between Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio State, just to name a few gorilla programs (usually! ;) ), there's a hell of a lot love for college sports up this way.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited September 2007
    Last time I checked, Tucson, AZ wasn't part of the South.:eek:
    I seem to remember someone from N. Carolina NOT including Texas as
    part of the "classic " South. But enough history.
    Sorry for jab, I-sig, I couldn't resist!

I really have lost interest in most pro sports over the last 10 years.
    The strikes, bad behavior, and of course the owner of the Cowboys
    all have soured me on pro sports. Then the AA center deal for the
    Mavericks and Stars made financing the Cotton bowl rehab dead.
    That really pissed me off.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited September 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    ???? I guess you don't get out much.:D
    Last time I checked, college football/basketball was big in a lot a places up north.
    Don't even get me started on wrestling in Iowa!

Wrestling at Iowa; hockey at Minnesota; basketball at Illinois; Michigan; and OSU are the exceptions I was speaking. I'm sure there are a few more, but I still stand by my remark.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • I-SIG
    edited September 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Last time I checked, Tucson, AZ wasn't part of the South.:eek:

I grew up in Atlanta, the heart of the new South. Georgia Tech, UGA, Florida, Tennessee and even Alabama events/news usually beat all 4 of the professional teams in the city, if you include the Hawks as a pro team!

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • I-SIG
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    OK, so as of last year the AP doesn't count towards the BCS, but there's a new ranking system that does count, and it's still based partly off of media and the opinions, which may be biased, of others, not solely on the wins and losses. :

Also, your season long playoff bit is also not true. The definition of a playoff :

Considering most college teams pick their own opponents for the most part, and whenever possible pick fluff opponents and play a majority of their games at home, the idea of the "best teams" is dubious anyway. It's not a level playing field by any stretch. What's your favorite college team? How many division 1-AA teams did they schedule this year? You don't see NFL teams playing against some other lower-tiered league, and claiming that beating said team makes them more championship worthy. Read the first few paragraphs of this column, which echoes my thoughts on the matter.

In most playoff systems I'm aware of one loss eliminates you from the championship hunt. One "regular" season loss by a I-A team eliminates them from the championship hunt. If it quacks like duck and looks like duck....

As for scheduling, ask Michigan, Ok State, etc. how that worked out. You still have beat whoever is on the field opposite of you: I-A, I-AA, II, or III. Could USC or LSU beat Kansas City this year? Most likely not, but again, ask Michigan how playing "inferior" competition worked out.

Wes

• bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Agree to disagree :)
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited September 2007
    College ball by *far* :p
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2007
    USC or LSU against KC? I would have to go with a final score somewhere around 63-7 in favor of KC with the one TD for the college kids coming in garbage time.

Think about it: How many college kids even make an NFL roster? How many of those can make an impact on their team their rookie year? Even a woeful KC team would be better than either of those two teams in at least 20 of the 22 starter positions.

Anyway, the two games are very different. Why not just ask: What's better, baseball or basketball?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Baseball :D
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Good call, gotta be one of the more ignorant comments I have ever read around here. Between Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio State, just to name a few gorilla programs (usually! ;) ), there's a hell of a lot love for college sports up this way.

try being a Gopher football fan..:(
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2007
    Wrong bobman, the correct answer is: They both suck... ;)
  • I-SIG
    edited September 2007
    USC or LSU against KC? I would have to go with a final score somewhere around 63-7 in favor of KC with the one TD for the college kids coming in garbage time.

Think about it: How many college kids even make an NFL roster? How many of those can make an impact on their team their rookie year? Even a woeful KC team would be better than either of those two teams in at least 20 of the 22 starter positions.

Nevermind. You can't seem to see the forest for all the trees.

Wes

• I-SIG
    edited September 2007
    krabby5 wrote: »
    try being a Gopher football fan..:(

There's always hockey! (one of the northern exceptions I mention, BTW.)

• Demiurge
    edited September 2007
    There's probably no better college town in the country than Madison, and you couple that with sold out football and basketball games and a crowd that travels with the team everywhere, and it's easy to see how wrong you are. I've experienced pretty much the same at Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, and Illinois.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/efY1Fuhenn8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/efY1Fuhenn8&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2007
    Or any Penn State game....

Dave, could you:

a). Explain how to imbed thos you tube links

or

b). Get a youtube vid with the crowd from the Penn Stat/ND game

That should disprove that "North of the Mason/Dixon" drivel
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited September 2007
    Or the Nebraska Cornhuskers...
    I jokingly call it the official state religion.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited September 2007

Dave, could you:

or

I was gonna say. I know Penn State is north of the Mason/Dixon line. So are Temple, Villanova, Princeton, Rutgers, Pitt, U of P, LaSalle and quite a few others with football programs that might not make it to a bowl game but have a rabid following of fans. College sports, especially basketball, are a huge deal in Philly and the surrounding area...hell all across PA and NJ. Then again, between PA and NJ, a good chunk of the nations institutes of higher learning are located in this area. So are quite a few professional sports teams.

I think the whole argument that it depends on what is dominant in the area doesn't hold water. Both are pretty well represented in the area and I think the fan base is evenly spread out and overlapping. I know people that are excited that the Phillies are in the pennant race and on the same note can't wait to see how Penn State is going to do this year but are also looking forward to the NCAA basketball season because they think Drexel is going to be a contender this year. In between all of that, they still **** about how crappy the Eagles are and will damn the horrendous 76'ers to last place before the NBA season even started. Oh and hockey, forget it. The Flyers or the Phantoms, doesn't matter how good or bad they do, Philly is a hockey town with fond memories of the Broad Street Bullies and those cold, deafening nights full of beer and brawls at the Spectrum. Yeah, you wanna see crazy fans, go to a hockey game in Philly on a night when the Flyers or the Phantoms are playing a team Philly hates...which is basically everyone!

Oh and I don't even think anyone has mentioned Notre Dame yet. My God! That's about the only fan base that I think is bigger and more loyal than Penn State! That's based in Indiana too. That ain't north or south, that's Mid-west and if the theory was true then why aren't the Colts the media **** in Indiana? Notre Dame sucks this year and they still get talked about. I mean, you hear about the Colts but Notre Dame's football program probably rivals quite a few pro-teams.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Demiurge
    edited September 2007

Dave, could you:

or

Just use the embed option on the video. Anyhow...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPY0ADRLopI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPY0ADRLopI&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>