This should be interesting, which is better pro football or college football?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
So which is better? Pro football or college football? Tell us why!

This should be a good conversation starter but will likely degrade into a shouting match with lots of name calling and hurt feelings. Figured it's worth a try anyway, it'll be interesting to see some of the responses.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited September 2007
    College football might be the better game, and it's certainly and easier sport to remain a loyal fan towards (go Horns!). . . but, NFL is king for a couple of reasons: 1) Fantasy Football; 2) Gambling

College football usually puts a great product on the field, and they do have very good rivalries. But, with the screwed up BCS and no fantasy appeal, they're second in my book.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited September 2007
    College...

The pros, I found, play according to their pay. Show Boating in the endzone, bitching like little girls about pay raise and not being payed enough to sign on. All in all, thinking their **** dont stink. Millions of dollars payed to "play" a sport.

There is a reason for putting them on Sundays and Mondays. Competition with Golf and CSI...lol.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Pro game. But not as much as College..

College is not far behind, but you can still find the guys on the field that love the game, love to hit and win and take pride in their team and school. Not jumping from one team to the next just because the other team offers more money.

I just cant trust any sport 100% where money has such a strong hold on the players that make it up.

GOOOO...TIGERS!!!
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • jakelm
    edited September 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    College...

The pros, I found, play according to their pay. Show Boating in the endzone, bitching like little girls about pay raise and not being payed enough to sign on. All in all, thinking their **** dont stink. Millions of dollars payed to "play" a sport.

There is a reason for putting them on Sundays and Mondays. Competition with Golf and CSI...lol.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Pro game. But not as much as College..

College is not far behind, but you can still find the guys on the field that love the game, love to hit and win and take pride in their team and school. Not jumping from one team to the next just because the other team offers more money.

I just cant trust any sport 100% where money has such a strong hold on the players that make it up.

GOOOO...TIGERS!!!

and I'm not saying this just because the Saints (the Aints) Suck This Year!!!!!.....lol
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2007
    College is way more fun to watch. The NFL might have the better athletes, but its just not as fun to watch, not even close.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2007
    What about High School?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    If you are from an area with a big college team, or went to a school with a big college team, you probably think college is better.

Otherwise, you probably think pro is better.

Most sports are about having a rooting interest. The only college I wo uld even remotely care about around here would be BC (I went to Northeastern, they didn't have too much of a team), but local pro sports teams reign supreme in New England.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited September 2007
    pro I love the fan base of college but until a true college real playoff system I will stick with pro.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited September 2007
    Pee-wee football all the way. Talk about laughing your **** off! The equipment weighs more than some of the kids & when they run they topple over. Hilarious!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    I love college sports, but I have always found that the level of skill is very dramatic between college and pro. The level of effort and spirit is so high in college sports. I remember college hockey games and nothing gets your spirit going like watching your team play. Other than actually playing that is.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2007
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited September 2007
    With a handful of exceptions, folks above the Mason-Dixon line don't have a clue about college sports, hence pro-everything dominating up there in Yankee-land.

Go Jackets!!!

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Pro!

They have better athletes and the quality of the play is better.

Plus, until they get rid of that ridiculous BCS system and get an actual playoff, college doesnt have the credibility pro does in my opinion.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Here's another thing - at least you can build a team around a core of players in pro. There's not much, but there's some constant in your team. In college, at most every four years you have a completely different team. You're literally rooting for a color of laundry.
  • I-SIG
    edited September 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Plus, until they get rid of that ridiculous BCS system and get an actual playoff, college doesnt have the credibility pro does in my opinion.

Name another sport where the ENTIRE regular season makes such a difference.

In Division I-A football, the 12 game regular season and the handful of conference championship games are the playoffs.

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Name another sport where sports writers votes make any difference at all.
  • I-SIG
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Name another sport where sports writers votes make any difference at all.

Easy: the holy of holies, The Baseball Hall of Fame.

To be precise, the AP no counts towards the BCS score.

Wes

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2007
    Since when does any HOF really matter to real sports fans?

Pro's all the way.. Better athletes, better coaching, more even opponents...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited September 2007
    Pro 'cause I don't get so pissed off at the lack of Razorback pass defense.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited September 2007
    Up to about 2 months ago I would have said Pro. But now that I live in college town NC and have started watching the college teams I might have to change my mind. I still havent made my allegence to a college yet but im thinking NC State.
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    Easy: the holy of holies, The Baseball Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame isn't part of the game itself, it's a way of honoring the past.

I'm talking about sportswriters affecting the actual games : who plays who, and how the "championships" play out. It's a joke.

You may or may not find it more entertaining, that's personal preference, but the way they do that scheduling and ranking is patently absurd.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited September 2007
    Both college and pro ball each have their own appeal and good things that stand out.

Technically, the level of play is much faster, more complex in the pros. College football is great because there are so many teams. So many more kids can play college ball, experience the thrill of the game, the crowd, the camaraderie, sportsmanship. College football can mature a lot of young men and they have a memories that will last a lifetime.

I watch more pro ball than college, but I like both of them. My college team is just so, so. But,

Go Pitt Panthers!!
    Carl

• jakelm
    edited September 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Technically, the level of play is much faster, more complex in the pros.

And I see that in the total opposite. Pro games can and do put people to sleep. College IMO, is a much faster game. Much more excitement and intensity. You see the young players crying and laughing and filled with emotion. I dont see much of that in pro. Pro has more of a "ah well, wheres my check" attitude.

Maybe its just the beer and Saturday night fever.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• I-SIG
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    The Hall of Fame isn't part of the game itself, it's a way of honoring the past.

I'm talking about sportswriters affecting the actual games : who plays who, and how the "championships" play out. It's a joke.

You may or may not find it more entertaining, that's personal preference, but the way they do that scheduling and ranking is patently absurd.

Read it again, the AP doesn't count towards the BCS, which as noted, is the result of a season-long playoff.

You wanna talk about scheduling not counting in the pros? ESPN will spend 2 weeks in May dissecting the NFL schedule after the draft. It obviously matters, especially if you are in the (currently) stronger AFC.

Wes

• 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited September 2007
    I voted NFL. but I think they are equally as good. Football is Football! Right?!

The reason NFL got the vote is because it's easier to follow personally. I only really follow the pac10 and the top 15 in College. It's to hard to keep track of 100+ teams and a billion conferences.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited September 2007
    College football is much more fun to watch. The emotions are higher are and game momentum plays a bigger part. The game is more pure at that level. Your not dealing with multimillion dollar egos (except for some of the coaches like Saban and Spurriur) and everybody just plays their hearts out.

I can watch just about any college game and get into it. Pro is dull for me.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited September 2007
    Where was the Neither option...I Hate football !
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Willow wrote: »
    Where was the Neither option...I Hate football !

Turn in your man card at the door. ;)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2007
    Agree with bobman.....it depends on where you are from.

Growing up in New England you eat, sleep and breathe Red Sox, Pats, Bruins and Celtics. Correspondingly, you HATE the Yankees, Jets, Dolphins, Canadiens, Lakers and the 76ers. As a kid, playing pickup sports there was NOTHING cooler than to be Yaz or Terry O'Reilly or what not....

Now that I'm in the South, pro sports? PFfffffffffffft. The Panthers? Jags? How uninspiring. Hell, even the Braves don't command the adoration that you think they would. However, SEC people get LOONEY over football. Not uncommon for grown men to argue and fight like children over that ****. Man, on our street the Clemson/Carolina? It's weeks to settle after that.

Mid west fans, I can see that too. I can't imagine getting all emotional over the Chiefs or the Cards, either.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2007
    I would agree that College can bring a very exciting game (The Texas/USC championship was the best game I saw since the Packers/Broncos SB) but too often they are blowouts between two unequal teams. College football needs more "big" games and less creampuffs.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • jakelm
    edited September 2007
    You all are about to watch the game of the century.

LSU defeating USC in the National Championship!!!!
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000