Wax - 3 Step Process

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited September 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
New truck = go all out on the wax job...

And I am impressed.

Cleaner wax, polish, and wax ---

Very impressed.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2007
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang. Is that a mirror?!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2007
    Very nicely done.....I really like the way my car looks after doing this.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    U should never use a cleaner wax on a brand new car, even if it says clear coat safe. Secondly, i dont doubt it looks good, but your pics were taken not in full sunlight, which is when a black car looks the best.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,386
    edited September 2007
    Wax on, whacks off. :D

Looks great, Trey.

BTW, he's in NC, the sun always shines and it isn't brand new.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2007
    What name brand cleaner, wax, and polish did you use?
    Very nice results on that black Ford P/U.

(I always use the combo-turtle-wax and my results are just good... but, not great).

Thanks.
  • VR3
    edited September 2007
    The truck is 3 years old -- and its the first time its been waxed in 3 years.

Cleaner wax very much needed.

But thanks for insinuating its new ;) - makes me feel like I did a good job! haha

Thanks

I used Meguires -- wanted to use Mothers, but couldnt find it
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2007
    Who's that kid in the picture?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2007
    Now put some nice MT's on that thing and take it mudding.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    well good work, it does look new, ha how did your arm feel ?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2007
    Looks nice!

Meguiar's...Mother's...same difference. Some people swear by one, others swear by the other. I use Mother's because it doesn't cost as much as the Meguiar's.

Just wait until you get those stone chips on the front. Be glad your bumper is chromed and not painted like mine! UGH! So frustrating! Black is such a pain to take care of but nothing looks better when it's clean!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited September 2007
    I still like the Zymol cleaner wax the best myself. I actually prefer Zaino the most, but it's a much more involved multi step process
  • VR3
    edited September 2007
    well good work, it does look new, ha how did your arm feel ?

It feels like I did a MASSIVE** work out on the weight machines.

Shoulders totally sore - right arm and hand very tense - hahahah

Took 11 hours to complete + touch up..

But I'm happy with it...

Still didnt get it ALL off after all that scrubbing
  • Jstas
    edited September 2007
    Dude, two words, power buffer.

Get one.

I have one called "Waxmaster" and with all the black paint on my truck (has a 4.5 foot by 6.5 foot swath on the tonneau cover too) I'd die if I had to do the whole truck by hand. Besides, the power buffer gives you a better finish anyway because it can go all day and won't get tired like you will so you get the same speed and buffing capability all day. Makes it much, much easier to get that mirror finish.

• 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    I did the Meguiars three step to my car and my wife's car one day. Hand washed both as well.....I told myself I would never do that again. This time I do one car per day.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    DO NOT attempt to power buff your car unless u are experienced, you can burn your paint and leave swirls in it if u dont know exactly what your doing. Dont belive me? ask your loco paint shop or car detailing location.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Jstas
    edited September 2007
    DO NOT attempt to power buff your car unless u are experienced, you can burn your paint and leave swirls in it if u dont know exactly what your doing. Dont belive me? ask your loco paint shop or car detailing location.

Geez! You are just full of misinformation aren't you?

This is a power buffer:

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/85-531-car-buffers/power-buffer-134155.aspx
    134155_front500.jpg

It is VERY difficult to burn your paint with such a device if you are using a wax or any kind of paint cleaner. In fact, most of the companies that make the cleaners and wax recommend that you use a power buffer for the best results.

This is a power polisher:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=105&pricetype
    92623.gif

This WILL damage your paint if you are not careful and do not use the correct technique. It moves much, much faster than the power buffer above.

You should read the posts before you respond. You've been off-base on two of your three posts in this thread. If you are unsure of what you are about to post, you should RESEARCH your post before you hit that submit button.

• VR3
    edited September 2007
    I actually have a buffer -

But I prefer doing hand waxing since when you use a buffer you gotta hand wax certain parts -

I think the best "buffer" Ive seen ----

Is the power ball from mothers... but Ive never used it on my personal vehicles.
  • Jstas
    edited September 2007
    The powerball works good on tough spots but you gotta be careful with it. Being attached to a drill, you are using a similar implement as the polisher above and if your not careful, you can end up damaging the finish.

The powerball works great on chrome or polished wheels though!

• 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    As I get older, the idea of using a buffer makes more sense :).
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited September 2007
    this the best polish on earth! i used it on my grandnational and the paint was DEEP and not a swirl mark anywhere! you wont believe the results.
    http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=6
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    I saw one of those last week on the freeway. That thing was in very nice condition....I sped up and then slowed down some to get a better look at it....the guy probably thought...what the heck is this weirdo doing :).
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2007
    I've used Meguire's 3 step system with a good d/a orbital buffer for many years. Good Stuff. I actually did 3 cars (mine and my 2 daughter's) on a Saturday) without too much trouble. Zaino is a great for a show but is a PIA to do on a regular basis (IMO).
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2007
    Forgot to say, NICE JOB! :)

BTW, did you get my email Trey?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2007
    Mmmmm, Grand National. I want to own one of those one day!

And I demand to see a pic of yours, killerb!!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    my dads 30 years in the car business apparently he knows nothing. but no reason getting into an argument, power buff your car away.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2007
    Ok so what's the deal with "Cleaner Wax" over just Wax?

I went with Mequire's just Wax over Mothers Cleaner Wax, good move?

Jstas, I agree with a power buffer I wouldn't do a car without it. Also there's nothing worst to look at then a car that been damaged by someone who didn't use a power polisher correctly.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    more often then not, a cleaner wax, regaurdless of it saying clear coat safe, will remove a slight amount of the clear coat, your car needs cleaner wax when after u use a regular wax on it, u still can feel impurities, i would use a clay bar over a cleaner wax any day of the week, then use a regular wax.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    I go with the cleaner, polish, wax.......once in a while I go with the clay bar, cleaner, polish, and then wax. My arms feel great the next day.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Jstas
    edited September 2007
    Oh god! Your dad isn't the one responding and just because he has "30 years in the car business" doesn't mean he's an expert in automotive finishes. I don't really care what your dad knows. His knowledge has obviously not transfered to you and that's all that matters because you're the one spouting off on an Internet forum, not your dad.

The use of a power buffer is fine and dandy, nothing wrong with it and only a complete jackass can damage his/her paint with a power buffer. Trust me, I've been using power buffers since about 1987 when my grandfather showed me how to wax a car. I can do some real stupid stuff sometimes and I've yet to damage paint on a car with a power buffer.

disneyjoe, the cleaner wax isn't really a wax. It's usually step 1 in the typical "3 step process" from Meguiar's or Mother's or whomever. It doesn't remove a clear coat because it's not abrasive. Don't listen to what this jackass is saying. The only clear coat the cleaners remove is whatever is oxidized. Yes, paint and clear coats will oxidize. The cleaners use a chemical reaction to remove the oxidation. The oxidation comes from wonderful stuff like car exhaust, acid rain, UV damage and all sorts of fun stuff. I usually do it about once a year and I have yet to hear of or see any kind of damage done to an automotive finish due to the product's usage. If you wax over that oxidation without removing it first, it will cause swirl marks. You can use a clay bar too but unless you have really damaged paint, I find the use of clay bars dubious at best and have yet to find an actual body guy, not somebody's dad with "30 years experience in the car business" who actually endorses or even recommends the usage of a stick of dirt being rubbed all over you car. If it works for you and you like it, fine with me.

As far as what to do, the cleaner wax should not be done as a single step. It removes all old wax and any oxidation. Most of the oxidation removed is old wax but there is some oxidized paint in there too. Whether you like it or not and whether you use a cleaner or not, your paint will wear and fade as time goes by. Putting on your tinfoil hat and freaking out over the microns worth of paint that gets removed in the cleaning process is totally unreasonable. If you don't re-wax the car afterwards, the paint is exposed to the elements and unprotected. You don't always need step two because it's usually just a sealer or a glaze that is polymer based and not even a wax. It's used to hide swirl marks and fill in imperfections in the paint. When you do wax, it adds depth to the shine because there are fewer imperfections visible in the paint after use to draw your eye. Always use a wax. I prefer carnauba based waxes. They work just fine, aren't damaging to the environment and application is simple and real hard to screw up.

Oh an eloplayspolo, I personally have about 18-20 years experience "in the car business". That's me, not my dad, me. That's hard earned experience too from actually doing the work myself. I've done everything from run a parts counter to fixing diesel trucks and other heavy equipment. If there was a certification test for the work I was doing, I passed it with flying colors. That includes those ASE and SAE certifications that are quite difficult pass. I still work part time as a diesel mechanic and I am even an active participant on a racing crew. I'm also college educated with a background in engineering and a B.S. in Information Systems. I know cars and computers inside and out and I have many actual connections and friends in both industries that can and will help me out if I need it. If you really want to throw down experience points, I'm game but trust me, unless you can get your dad to start posting for you, you should just shut your mouth, sit down and listen, you might learn something. I assure you, everything I post about automotive topics is accurate. If I don't know for sure or I am completely unsure, I know where to find the answers and I have numerous professional level resources available to me to get the correct answer. I will not steer anyone wrong intentionally and I will not sit idly by while some kid riding his dad's coat-tails comes in here and tries to "educate" anyone with incorrect information.

• eloplayspolo
    edited September 2007
    30 years in the car business including being in the guniess book of world records, i have worked for him in the service department since i was 10 years old, i know exactly what im talking about, and u learn things from what people tell u and show u. ho ahead and power buff a black car and let someone with no experience use it and see if u have swirls in the paint, no matter what the paint is. to say u CANT mess up a car with a power buffer is sooo wrong its not even funny, i may not know as much as mac does about car stereos, but as far as waxing a car, i know about as much as u can working at major car dealerships as a lot man for about 9 years, look it up on the net and u will find people who mess up paint with one. as far as cleaner wax being a 3 step process, not true at all, unless u think, #1 wash car, #2 put cleaner wax on and take off, and #3 put a regular polish on it, as a 3 step process, just like your shampoo bottle says , wash twice if needed, u really dont need to wash twice if u do it right the first time, just like u dont need to apply some kind of cheap spray called showtime to a car after u use a cleaner wax on it.

Dont turn these forums into an argument, if u have a problem with what i say, PM me and say hey, i think your mistaken, but dont run your mouth off with, for the most part, dumb opinions.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8