My Letter to the sharrif

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
If anyone has any further ideas, let me know. I gotta get this guy to stop. My kids need sleep.

Hello

I am having a problem with a neighbor that lives across the street from me. This individual has a long track of waking my family up at all times of the night or morning. He is currently and has been unemployed for about 6 months.

Recently he’s been a morning person. For example this morning he pulled his shop vacuum down to the sidewalk and proceeded to vacuum his car. Pretty big shop Vacuum that woke my whole family up at about 6:45 AM, he then proceeded to was his car. He did this same thing I believe Thursday at 7:15 AM when he was cleaning his car pad in front of his garage (my house is about 50 feet away at most). He has a tendency to start mowing his lawn at 7:30 AM at times. I once even caught him pulling out his gas power water sprayer to clean off his boat on the sidewalk at 7:15 AM.

This history goes way back. And I have spoken to him many times.

Last year he would fire up his large class dirt bike up and go ride it around at 11:00PM. Almost every night for the entire summer month he would simply fire it up and rev it up. These incidents have disappeared and moved to morning activity.

At this time I am starting to take notes of time and date and what I tried to do to stop it.

For example this morning I yelled at him out the window to stop and that he woke up my whole family and he told me to “**** off”. This was at exactly 7:00AM.

What do I do about this? Who do I call to report the problems as they are happening at these early times so that an officer can drop by and see what’s going on and maybe have a few words.

Thank you for your time!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Move? 7AM isn't obscenely early, and while I agree that the guy is a dick and very rude, there's not much the law or you can really do about it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    7 am is the standard to start anything.......before that and he could maybe get slapped on the wrists with a ruler.

There isn't much you can do.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    First off, yelling at him would probably make him do it earlier. Sounds like the "talking thing" has not worked. Any bylaws for noise level in your area? I for one am out of bed at 5:00am and always want to get going first thing in the morning. But I do respect those around me and never start any power tools before nine. If talking to this guy is totally out of the question then find out the law. Have you talked to other neighbors about this? Sometimes more is better. Good luck.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    I believe the laws in this area are 8AM to 10PM. For example, it is usual for people having big parties to have the cops called. They show up and will tell the host to keep it quite or they will shut it down. I've seen it a few times :)

My neighbor next to me throws raging parties and gets them called on occasion. They show up every time :)

But he invites all the neighbors so it’s never really an issue :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited September 2007
    I wait till 9 a.m. to do work that is noisy. Pickup the yard, pull weeds, and manual edge lawn if before 9 a.m.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    7 am is the standard to start anything.......before that and he could maybe get slapped on the wrists with a ruler.

There isn't much you can do.

Lol, BTW, love your quote in your signature ahahah!!!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    I wait till 9 a.m. to do work that is noisy. Pickup the yard, pull weeds, and manual edge lawn if before 9 a.m.

Same here, thats my rule. My Stereo rule is straitup 9:00PM (even thoughI could go to 10). I never play music loud after 9pm and turn down movies (usually bass sounds only) after 10pm.

Yard work on weekends start ater 9am
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    Found it:

9.14.010 Public disturbance noises.
    It is unlawful for any person to cause, or for any person in possession of real or personal property to allow to originate from the property, sound that is a public disturbance noise. The following sounds are hereby determined to be public disturbance noises:

(1) Frequent, repetitive, or continuous howling, barking, squawking or other noises made by any animal which unreasonably disturbs or interferes with the peace, comfort, and repose of receiving property owners or possessors; except that such sounds made by livestock, whether from commercial or noncommercial activities, and such sounds made in animal shelters, commercial kennels, veterinary hospitals, pet shops, or grooming parlors licensed under and in compliance with Title 8, Clark County Code, shall be exempt under this subsection.

It shall be deemed a public disturbance noise under this subsection for a dog to bark, bay, cry, howl or make any other noise continuously and/or incessantly for a period of ten (10) minutes or bark intermittently for one-half (1/2) hour or more to the disturbance of any person at any time of day or night regardless of whether the dog is physically situated in or upon private property; provided, however, that a dog shall not be deemed a “barking dog” for purposes of this section if, at the time the dog is barking or making any other noise, a person is trespassing or threatening to trespass upon private property in or upon which the dog is situated or for any other legitimate cause the dog was teased or provoked to bark or make any other noise.

(2) The frequent, repetitive or continuous sounding of any horn or siren attached to a motor vehicle, except as a warning of danger or as specifically permitted or required by law.

(3) The creation of frequent, repetitive or continuous sounds in connection with the starting, operation, repair, rebuilding or testing of any motor vehicle, motorcycle, off-highway vehicle, or internal combustion engine, within a residential area, so as to unreasonably disturb or interfere with the peace, comfort and repose of owners or possessors of neighboring real property; provided, that this subsection shall not apply to the operation of lawn mowers, garden tools, chain saws or other power equipment used for building repair or ground maintenance between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.

(4) The use of a sound amplifier or other device capable of producing or reproducing amplified sound upon public streets for the purpose of commercial advertising or sales or for attracting the attention of the public to any vehicle, structure, or property or the contents therein between the hours of 8:00 p.m. of one day and 7:00 a.m. of the next day, except for emergency vehicles.

(5) The making of any loud and raucous sound within one thousand (1,000) feet of any school, hospital, sanitarium, nursing or convalescent facility; which unreasonably interferes with the use of such facility, or with the peace, comfort, or repose of persons therein.

(6) The use of a musical instrument, sound amplifier, or other device incorporating electrical signal volume control that produces or reproduces loud and/or raucous sounds which emanate frequently, repetitively or continuously from any building, structure or property so as to unreasonably disturb or interfere with the peace, comfort or repose of owners or possessors of neighboring real property.

(7) Except as otherwise authorized by this chapter, the use, in a vehicle upon a public street or roadway, of a sound amplifier or other device capable of producing or reproducing amplified sound, which causes the sound to be heard from fifty (50) feet away; provided, this provision shall not apply to emergency, fire or police vehicles.

Where applicable, proof of violation of the noise level limitations set out in Chapter 173-60 WAC shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section. (Sec. 1 of Ord. 1980-03-20; amended by Sec. 4 of Ord. 1991-11-09; amended by Sec. 1 of Ord. 2005-08-17)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    damn man, it is 7am. At least it will help a little like today.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2007
    If you do decide to send a letter, watch the typo's and grammer....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited September 2007
    Unfortunately, even though it states 7am, by the time the sheriff arrives, it will be after 7am. If your neighbors are as pissed off as you, your best recourse is to find the guy a job. Beyond that, from living just across the river, your next best option is to get the law ammended to use db meter measurements (many portland suburbs have gone that route). That takes opinion issue away from the officer and gives him scientific proof, It makes enforcement much, much easier.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    If you do decide to send a letter, watch the typo's and grammer....

The typos and grammar too. ;)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    The typos and grammar too. ;)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. You beat me to it Bob.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2007
    Agreed, Sharrif XXXX probably wouldnt be a good way to start off your letter.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2007
    Glad somebody got it...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    I think everybody got it, just didn`t want to point it out....you know

I say get a paintball gun, load her up, and next time he`s being a bad neighbor....just walk up on him and unload , go back and have your coffee, and act like nothin happened !!:eek:

rinse and repeat until that stuborn stain comes out !!

YMMV

:D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2007
    crossbow
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »
    I think everybody got it, just didn`t want to point it out....you know

I sy get a paintball gun, load her up, and next time he`s being a bad neighbor....just walk up on him and unload , go back and have your coffee, and act like nothin happened !!:eek:

rinse and repeat until that stuborn stain comes out !!

YMMV

:D
    hahahah!!!

I was thinking about a very loud directional horn speaker pointed at his house at 3 AM backed by one of them 1000 watt sunfire pro’s or something.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • beardog03
    edited September 2007
    or you can build a **** machine (6hz)and direct it at him while he`s in his garage/driveway !!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    hahahah!!!

I was thinking about a very loud directional horn speaker pointed at his house at 3 AM backed by one of them 1000 watt sunfire pro’s or something.

Like one of these?

http://www.atlassound.com/products/partNumber.cfm?pn=GA-30T
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • beardog03
    edited September 2007
    something like that that shoots a 6-10hz wave
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2007
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2007
    About a bag of mothballs in the bike/mower tank should make things quiet for a day or two.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    m80 in the mailbox should do the trick
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    A hooded thug walks up to him from nowhere and explains to him exactly how bad its gonna be if this crap continues. Be sure to enlist the help of a well qualified thug.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    start going out in the morning to get your newspaper with a sidearm
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2007
    m80 in the mailbox should do the trick
    Close to what I was thinking. Get a ton of m-80s and after he goes to sleep light one and throw it in his yard. wait about an hour and repeat. Done for this night, a couple of nights later do it again. Repeat until you are happy.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited September 2007
    Write "I am loud" with Roundup herbicide in his lawn.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited September 2007
    Had bad neighbors and ended up chasing two of them with a running 18V circular saw. My neighbors were sweet as pie after.
    If he's married/attached, you might snap his photo and post it on a dating site, then mail the profile to the significant other.

If I recall, you aren't legally responsible for anything you may do directly following being awakened in a disturbing fashion.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    petrym wrote: »
    Write "I am loud" with Roundup herbicide in his lawn.

That's too nice, draw a big **** in his front lawn with herbicide although gasoline works really well at killing lawns.