Just FYI....you're insane?

2»

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    ...but when the levels are matched a closely as possible of course it doesn't turn out that way.

Let me guess, you match them by ear. :)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Not mine, somebody else's.:p Usually an SPL meter. That's about as good a measuring device we have on hand.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited September 2007
    I firmly believe you need to have commentary like his to keep a balance. It keeps our hobby grounded (hopefully). Like most commentary, their are elements of truth, as well as unsubstantiated opinion. But, I also believe that since each person hears things uniquely, that living and dying by pure scientific measurements is a fools paradise in audio.

As others have pointed out, this is now seven years old. In that time, the obvious flaws in standard cd's have been found, and equipment such as DAC's have come to the rescue. Not to mention the tremendous increase in highly compressed digital records at the master level, that makes cd's sound horrible incomparison to vinyl.

Some componentry (tubes, etc.) and tweaks special capabilities just can't be measured, but have obvious qualities that the human ear can perceive. In the end, if something improves the sound to you, enjoy.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited September 2007
    [QUOTE=, that living and dying by pure scientific measurements is a fools paradise in audio.

As others have pointed out, this is now seven years old. In that time, the obvious flaws in standard cd's have been found, and equipment such as DAC's have come to the rescue. Not to mention the tremendous increase in highly compressed digital records at the master level, that makes cd's sound horrible incomparison to vinyl.

Some componentry (tubes, etc.) and tweaks special capabilities just can't be measured, but have obvious qualities that the human ear can perceive. In the end, if something improves the sound to you, enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I think the Audio Critic believes that if the "tweaks" can't be heard or verified with your ear by scientific blind AB testing then they don't exist. He isn't saying anyone is lying when they hear something different with their tweeks. He is saying that it probably is something else than the tweek, like moving the speaker or a change in volume or balance setting. Scientific A/B testing takes a lot of hard work to do it right and a good accuate sound level meter.

He isn't saying every thing in audio can be measured. But if the tweek makes an audable differance it can be measured and verified by scientific A/B testing. If the human ear can hear the differance then it can be verified by A/B testing.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    If you believe, I still want your stuffs.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2007
    Time to break out the old boombox.

dynasty-discolite.jpg

The lights actually add to the sound.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2007
    Zero wrote:
    Thought people would get bored of it after awhile..

I was bored with it when it first came out....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bikezappa
    edited September 2007
    shack wrote: »
    I was bored with it when it first came out....

Science is boring to most people.

Do they still teach science in school anymore?

Music is the best.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2007
    I has nothing to do with the science....and everything to do with his bias...that's what is boring.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2007
    You know, it just occurred to me that the cable debate sounds alot like the religion debate. Science versus "faith". Something tells me the cable side won't like that comparison though. :D
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited September 2007
    Man. that guy is my new hero!! He really knows his stuff. Especially after reading #3 "The Anti-Digital Lie" how in the world can you argue with him? He hit the nail right on the head with that one!!! :) I guess Joe must of missed that one. Hey Wingnut, it's not too late to return that TT is it?? LOL!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Man. that guy is my new hero!! He really knows his stuff. Especially after reading #3 "The Anti-Digital Lie" how in the world can you argue with him? He hit the nail right on the head with that one!!! :) I guess Joe must of missed that one. Hey Wingnut, it's not too late to return that TT is it?? LOL!!

GENERALLY SPEAKING!
  • bikezappa
    edited September 2007
    The audio critic uses science and science only to evaluate audio electronic components. He compares the input to the output and notes the differences.

Speakers are much harder to evaluate because of the interaction of the speaker with the room.

His bias is clearly science and anti-tweek that's for sure. There is plenty of BS in the selling of audio.

PhantomOG I think there is a lot of religion in science. Who made the laws of nature and science? Why does F=ma? Who or what made that law and all the others of nature?

Religion would like you to believe that religion is the only way to understand god. Maybe you can see the wonders of everything there is through science also.

I'm ranting again. sorry
  • bikezappa
    edited September 2007

Join his web site and you can read most of his back issues. What an education in audio!

Many people hate him.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    Join his web site and you can read most of his back issues. What an education in audio!

Many people hate him.

BZ Phil is the king of all tweakers.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited September 2007
    Ah Joe, you're killing me. How's it going bro? We need to have another 'fest. Did you pull the trigger on the TADAC yet?

Pretty much what that critic says probably appeals to the dedicated members of Audioholics. They tend to be steered pretty easily. Us Polkies can think for ourselves!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Ah Joe, you're killing me. How's it going bro? We need to have another 'fest.

I'm ready for another Mini Polk Fest but we have the REAL POLKFEST in a couple of weeks. Perhaps when I get back we can do a local shindig.

Did you pull the trigger on the TADAC yet?

TADAC! I'm still reeling and recovering from the money spent on the work done on the Spectal, the money spent on the VTL 5.5, the cost of the ZYX cartridge and the cost of the SME V repair!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pretty much what that critic says probably appeals to the dedicated members of Audioholics. They tend to be steered pretty easily. Us Polkies can think for ourselves!!!

Science seems to disagree with people thinking for themselves LOL!!!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    I subscribed to many of the lies put out by Audio Critic back when I was first getting into audio. I got burned with a few of their suggestions for equipment. The funny thing was since I didn't know any better it was a LONG time until I figured out I was listening to sub-standard sound.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D