Just FYI....you're insane?

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
I agree with a couple of these issues. Read it, interpret it as you see fit.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

I believe this has been posted before, so please feel free to link me. Pay attention to the date....2000.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2007
    Cool read! Ready for the onslaught of replies, and this one linked / quoted in future threads? :)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    I guess I should sell all my analog and speaker cables and buy new ones from monoprice tonight. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Wow, the writer was speaking in such general terms. I kept looking for the knock out punch but never got hit with it.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited September 2007
    Thanks
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I agree with a couple of these issues. Read it, interpret it as you see fit.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

I believe this has been posted before, so please feel free to link me. Pay attention to the date....2000.

You've been hanging out with John K. again. REPOST, thread
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2007
    This opened my eyes. I didn't know there were so many liars in this forum.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited September 2007
    I'm so sick of these stupid posts. I'm so far removed from any technical or scientific background, it's not even funny . . . yet, I can instantly hear the difference (my girlfriend, who still listens to a $50 boombox, can hear the difference) between BJC speaker cables which are arguably better than Radioshack and my Signal Speaker Cables. This small test is not scientific, but in practice it has black/white results.
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2007
    Have you done an ABX test?

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited September 2007
    The posts are what keep some folks from drifting off into space.

Why bother posting if its a waste of your time?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited September 2007
    The posts are what keep some folks from drifting off into space.

Why bother posting if its a waste of your time?

Absolutely brilliant:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited September 2007
    Mark, I'd be curious which parts of that article you agree with...
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    Whomever was swayed, can I have your stuff?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2007
    The writer of that article must think the iPod is manna from heaven...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2007
    I give up! My whole HT will be sitting on the curb, wires and all!
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited September 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    Mark, I'd be curious which parts of that article you agree with...

I was wondering the same thing...
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2007
    I agree with some of it to an extent.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited September 2007
    I agree with some of it to an extent.

Says the girl with a new turntable ;)
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited September 2007
    I guess "Audio Critic" is a fitting name. Let them enjoy their boomboxes I say.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited September 2007
    Just FYI....you're insane?

Awesome!

I knew it! I knew I was! I told them I was!

They said "No sir, you're quite alright!"

I said "No way Jose! ('cause that was the guy's name) I'm totally nucking futs!"

But Jose told me I was lysdexic. You know, when you read things wackbords and get your mords all wixed up? Yeah that and I'm a bad speeler.

But I'm gonna go back and show them! They'll believe me for sure this time!

Maybe I'll get one of those padded rooms now! Maybe line it with velcro so i can wear a wool suit and just "hang around"!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2007
    ninerbj wrote: »
    Says the girl with a new turntable ;)

LOL. I mean I think that the biggest difference in cable sound is due to gauge and shielding really. And I always roll my eyes when I read about burn in for electronics or cables in magazines although I do believe in speaker break in.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited September 2007
    Even the writer of this article acknowledged speaker break-in FWIW.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Ricardo
    edited September 2007
    Electronics do burn in. I swear.

SOPA
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2007
    HTrookie wrote: »
    Electronics do burn in. I swear.

Yep, they eventually just burn up.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited September 2007
    Even IF YOU AGREE WITH THE ACTICLE, there are caveats.
    If you don't beleive in cables, at least buy a decent one.
    If you don't believe in power cords or conditioners, at least have clean power.
    Tubes color sound. (Damn, does't everyone like a little color in their world??)
    I, for the record, can hear cable differences. No, I won't be giving up
    my tube amp. Will I pay $2000 for a cable? Hell no.
    Would I pay $100-200? Yes.
    As one fairly decent dealer and music lover told me,
    don't get hung up on expensive, get what sounds good.
    If a SS amp gets you there without exotic cables, be happy.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2007
    If you go on the premise that ruler flat freq. response, zero distortion, IE perfect, measurable response equates to ideal sound.....then, yeah....the article makes a lot of sense.

I however don't believe that everything that is audible has a corresonding measurement......if tubes are distortion, then, hey, I like distortion. Big deal.

You listen to what you like and I'll listen to what I like.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited September 2007
    As for the “tube sound,” there are
    two possibilities: (1) It’s a figment of
    the deluded audiophile’s imagination,
    or (2) it’s a deliberate coloration introduced
    by the manufacturer to appeal
    to corrupted tastes
    As for cables, yecch… We’re dealing
    with audiophile voodoo here rather
    than science.

priceless.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    Hey Doro, I like your technique!

Lob the audio grenade into the room & watch what happens!

Nice work!

Wish I'd done it! :D
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited September 2007
    Hey Doro, I like your technique!

Lob the audio grenade into the room & watch what happens!

Nice work!

Wish I'd done it! :D

But who do we volunteer to jump on the grenade to save the rest of us?:rolleyes:

I've read that one before a long time ago. Agree or not, it reminds us
    to use a little sanity. I seem to remember PMing Doro about cable burn in
    back when I first joined the forum. He really didn't respond.
    I know why after watching the debates here over the years.
    The internet seems to bring out the best and worst in people.
    BTW, I now believe in cable burn in. Damn, logic tells me I must be
    crazy. Yet, there it is. What's next, UFO's?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited September 2007
    I have subscribed to the Audio Critic for many years. His observations and comments are based on electrical engineering principles and double blind testing. He believes in the science of audio and electrical engineering. He has very little belief in the techno tweeks like fancy cones to support your equipment on, bricks on the equipment or CD demagnetizers. You get the idea.

He also believes that accurate double blind testing is complicated to set up properly. For example, the sound level from amplifiers being compaired must be set up to within 0.1 db. This takes time to set up. He has never seen any one tell the difference between any two amplifiers in a double blind testing. He has other qualifications for double blind amplifier testing also, like the amplifier can't be driven higher than a certain distortion amount and must match impedances of input and output. He allows people to listen to any music in thier home with both amplfierts for as long as they want. He then comes to your home and balances the sound to within 0.10 db and does the test with any music you want for as long as you want. He believes that people are very sensitive to the sound levels and that if these levels are not matched to within 0o.1 db the test is not valid.

His back issues on his web site are available and are very interesting.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    He believes that people are very sensitive to the sound levels and that if these levels are not matched to within 0o.1 db the test is not valid.

This makes the most sense. We've done A/Bing of several different peices of gear in this little mini Polk community here and the biggest problem we have is getting the db levels equal. The louder/brighter peice of gear always sounds better, at first, but when the levels are matched a closely as possible of course it doesn't turn out that way.