DS7200 question

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2002 in Troubleshooting
I have recently begun to realize that the whole hardcore a/v thing may not be for me, but I've listened to, watched, & read enuff to know that I don't want to go back to cheap minisystems from dept stores.

The DS7200 has piqued my interest. The reviews are good, the features are what I want--lotsa analog ins, enuff dig ins for me, bass mgmt of 5.1 input, & other features. One thing I find appealing about the reviews is that they indicate that there's not a significant gap between the upper end of the sub & the lower end of the sats, a problem often found in HTIB. However, I've read the lab specs that come with some of the reviews, and the specs do seem to indicate a gap. Maybe it's not a significant audible gap, but it appears to be there. The use of active (as opposed to passive) filtering is cited as one reason the spkrs of this system are so well integrated. Could someone explain how this works to overcome the gap? Preferably in terms that don't require a degree in electrical engineering.

I ask this because the authorized dealers in my town don't seem to carry it, altho they might be able to special order it. And even if they did carry it, their demo environments suck. Consequently, if I order, I'll have to order it w/out prior listening or drive at least 70 miles to hear it first. I'd like to get a better understanding of how the system is engineered before I order it or go looking for a demo. Thanks.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2002
    Hello,
    Thanks for your question. Our satellite/sub-woofer systems involve a necessary high pass filter, for the satellites, to block bass frequencies from overdriving the mid range driver. These filters involve combinations of inductors and capacitors which introduce a higher impedance to lower frequencies. In the DS7200 system we are able to accomplish the necessary high pass filtering while the audio signal is still in a digital form. Then it can be converted to an analogue signal and further amplified and sent to the speakers. The more signal manipulation that is accomplished through well designed digital processes the better the final result. This is a major reason listeners are finding the DS7200 sounds so cohesive in blending with the bass unit and has such a clear and detailed mid range character.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • Systems
    edited October 2002
    thanks. Are the spkrs on the DS7200 the same as on the RM7200?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2002
    Yes, they are the same speakers, although on the RM7200 you run speaker cable directly from the receiver rather than going through the sub like on the DS7200. I believe you had mentioned American TV once, and the DS7200 is available there. If there's not one nearby and you decide to order without listening, I'd be happy to ship one to you.
  • Systems
    edited October 2002
    Excellent sales instincts! Now, if you could just get all the salespeople at the chains to be as good as you.:D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2002
    I had to throw it in there, just in case. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2002
    Hello,
    Well, actually they are different. Remember I said there wasn't a need for a built-in high pass filter in the satellites that come as part of the DS7200. In the satellites that come as part of the RM7200 system, since there isn't an external electronic device doing this, there is a built-in passive high pass filter. Regards, Ken Swauger