Polk Unofficial Energy Spendings "Brown/Red" Thread

2»

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2007
    Outside today it was 114. Inside my hooch it was a comfy 67 degrees.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited September 2007
    The earth can bring it! I've been going to the gym, i can take on earth no problem!

The earth I can handle. it's the oil companies that scare the living crap out of me.
    3.2$ a Gallon?:mad: I wouldn't be surprised if it'll get to 8-9 by the end of the decade. :(
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited September 2007
    Tandori chicken, butter chicken, peas palao, nan bread.

oops wrong thread.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    What happened, the tin foil hat fell off?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • candyliquor35m
    edited September 2007
    A man's gotta eat.

Did anyone else see this advertisement on yahoo: 2 trillion barrels of oil shale in CO (could reduce our oil imports by 5%).

The U.S. Govt's Secret Colorado Oil Discovery: Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world — more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. Three companies have been chosen to lead the way. Test drilling has already begun...

http://www.stansberryonline.com/PRO/0704OILCOL49/WOILH712/200704OIL-COL-49.html
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    Face wrote: »
    What happened, the tin foil hat fell off?

Someone stabbed it.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited September 2007
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    Are you serious? haha......can't help but laugh a bit on that one but obviously you can't take a joke since it stemmed from your response in the other thread....
  • candyliquor35m
    edited September 2007
    I was joking because I felt you were joking. I guess the emoticons or whatever they're called are good for something afterall.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    On warm days I love driving my Excursion with the windows down and the A/C on full blast.
    I floor it between every red light also.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • candyliquor35m
    edited September 2007
    I'm shocked I haven't been rear ended yet when I'm doing 10-20 mph coasting to the red lights.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    I run through red lights and stop at green lights!!!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Here's waht I posted in the other thread (or close to it) :

There's a writer for ESPN (Gregg Easterbrook, or TMQ) who likes to point out environmental hypocrisy. I found these two posts particularly interesting :
    In July, numerous pop musicians and celebrities flew in private jets, then rode limos to the Live Earth concerts, where they demanded that others conserve. Some 150 acts performed at the event's various venues. Suppose half the acts flew commercial, half aboard private jets. Flying a private jet a transcontinental distance generates greenhouse gases equivalent to driving a Hummer for a year. So that's 75 Hummer Years of greenhouse gases caused by the Live Earth acts that arrived by private jet. (TMQ proposes that henceforth, environmental hypocrisy be measured in Hummer Years.)

If the other acts flew commercial, assuming the average act has five performers and crew and flies a medium distance, that would translate to about 550 tons of greenhouse gases, which is another 60 Hummer Years of global-warming emissions. Now factor in all the spectators and staff attending the various Live Earth concerts. John Buckley of Carbonfootprint.com estimated that around 35,000 tons of greenhouse gases were caused by spectators and logistical support for Live Earth -- converted into HYs, that's about the same as driving a Hummer for 4,000 years. Four thousand years' worth of Hummer emissions for an event demanding conservation! And we're just talking about one day of screeching guitars and slurred lyrics, not about the many pop stars who live the private jet lifestyle the year long. As Marina Hyde of London's Guardian newspaper pointed out, Sting's wife recently charted a helicopter to fly her to an environmental meeting.

And then today he added this :
    The NFL declared this year's Super Bowl was carbon-neutral, telling the Associated Press that the league financed the planting of 3,000 trees to offset carbon emissions directly associated with the game. Greenhouse gas accumulation is put into perspective by the unnerving fact that about 1,500 new trees are required to neutralize the carbon from just one typical American home. Because the direct greenhouse gases associated with the Super Bowl -- stadium lights, concession-stand power -- were over in one day, the 3,000 trees purchased offset the game's direct emissions. But greenhouse gases directly associated with stadium power are only a small part of the story. It turns out the big asterisk on the NFL's claim that the last Super Bowl was carbon-neutral is that the league does not count fossil fuels used getting to and from the contest. Lloyd Crosby of Calgary, Alberta points out this trace of corporate jets leaving the Miami area the morning after the Super Bowl. Each jet alone generated more greenhouse gases than could be offset by the NFL's 3,000 trees. Add in commercial flying -- not to mention all the cars, buses and trucks associated with the event -- and the NFL's carbon-mitigation effort likely neutralized less than 1 percent of the greenhouse gases associated with the Super Bowl.

Yay hypocrisy!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    Tandori chicken, butter chicken, peas palao, nan bread.

oops wrong thread.

Chicken Tikka Masala, saag lamb, chicken korma, chai...uhm!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Here's waht I posted in the other thread (or close to it) :

There's a writer for ESPN (Gregg Easterbrook, or TMQ) who likes to point out environmental hypocrisy. I found these two posts particularly interesting :

And then today he added this :

Yay hypocrisy!

Excellent find Bobman!
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2007
    Let's see:

I have a small A/C window unit that has been on since Memorial day to remove the moisture from the air.

Recycled nothing

Own stock in some major comm companies, defense contractors, and oil companies.

Oh yea, almost forgot, my brothers and I clearcut our 250 acres of 45 year old pine trees.:p
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2007
    I heard methane is much worse the CO2 as a greenhousegas. if this is true, I got all of you beat, for the **** gods often speak in angry tones.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited September 2007
    I change my oil in the ditch next to my raw sewage.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    I change my oil in the ditch next to my raw sewage.

Child's play . . . I pour my used up oil directly into the public water reservoir!!!:D Oh I forgot and try to mask it with a couple of gallons of Clorox!
  • jakelm
    edited September 2007
    Sometimes I go outside and spray 2 cans of hairspray in the air just for the hell of it.

Catalytic converters?....you realize how much more HPower my Z-71 has without them?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Sometimes I go outside and spray 2 cans of hairspray in the air just for the hell of it.

Catalytic converters?....you realize how much more HPower my Z-71 has without them?

Do you still use leaded gas? Also after the hairspray cans are empty you must throw them into a hot fire.
  • jakelm
    edited September 2007
    Do you still use leaded gas? Also after the hairspray cans are empty you must throw them into a hot fire.

Lead gas, and I painted my whole house with lead.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Lead gas, and I painted my whole house with lead.

Now you need to burn it so the lead gets into the atmosphere!:eek:
  • jakelm
    edited September 2007
    We all originate from Mars anyway....look how beautiful that planet is now.

....I wanna go home
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2007
    I love those HUGE concerts for the "environment". Can you just imagine all the waste created? Not to mention all the private jets for the bands and Al Gore to show up and chant rah rah rah.

Isn't that like screaming for silence? Eff'n hilarious.
  • jakelm
    edited September 2007
    Kill all mankind...MMMUUUUAAAAAAAAAAA

"Whatcha wanna do today Brain?"

"Same thing we do every day Pink, TAKE OVER THE WORLD...MMMUUUUAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA"
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000