Eye protection

Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I just got back from the eye doc. After **** around for more than a week I finally figured out what I wasn't getting any better I consented to going to the doc....basically Deb told me I was going. Had a nice piece of steel embedded in the right eye lens above the cornea. It got in there 10 days ago when I was working on a friends Jeep. Even though I had safety glasses on while grinding I still managed to get some metal in the eye.

Good thing I did, and damn foolish for not going sooner. The doc had to use a scoop and a miniature Dremel to get the steel out and I still need to go back in a few days to have the eye checked again. Chances are prety good that there is still some rust in the lens.

I currently have a Bandage Contact Lens on the injured eye and it its feels like I'm looking through a piece of Saran Wrap. I've got steriod drops, pain relief drops, and antibiotic drops to put in to. My eye looks like a Rand McNally Road Atlas. Yeah I get a day off, but that just screws up the rest of my week.

So why should you give a rats **** about my eye? Easy, you shouldn't. In fact you should probably be saying "What an idiot!" I posted this little story so that you folks might learn from my stupid mistake. If you get something in your eye and you aren't 110% positive that you got it out...GO TO THE FREAKIN' DOCTOR!!

I'll be damned if I let this happen again. From now on no work comenses in the Oh Crap! Garage without safety glasses and/or face shields for any and all present.

Gotta go put some drops in...and kick myself in the ****.
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by Frank Z on

Comments

• 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited September 2007
    Real men don't wear eye protection :P j/k!

Well if you want to be super safe a Welders mask should do the trick!
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2007
    Good advice; I've had my share of eye accidents, including a battery that exploded while I was looking into the cells to see acid level....I was at a shop and a mechanic that saw what happened grabbed my a$$ and almost drawned me in a water fountain. The doctor later said that if it wasn't for that I would be blind.

Hope you get well soon.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited September 2007
    Well if you want to be super safeQUOTE]

...............let someone else do the work ! ;)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited September 2007
    On another note, I do remember one painful eye situation. I was trying to fix a plastic from around this hand held mirror. So I dabbed on some crazy glue when I pushed the pieces together to hold it snapped into place and shot the Glue in my eye......Holy burning batman ! Went to a hospital they said 4hr wait go to clinic, I went to a clinic they said we can't work on that here go to a hospital. So off to another hostpital. After a couple different drops I was able to open my eye.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited September 2007
    Luckily I wear glasses...One time I was desoldering an 50 volt dc motor for the X/Y/Z stage of one of our laser tools....All the wires desoldered perfectly..had 2 other techs helping because the ground strap for the motor was soldered on and needed more then one iron on it because it was acting like a big heat sink ...when all 3 of us got the irons on it it let loose and my left lens of my glasses looked like one big solder splash. Everybody asks me why I dont get contact lenses...I just smile and say they are not for me....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2007
    When you're done bend over & have Deb kick you a few more times!:mad:

Fricken idiot men!! All the common sense of a flea!:mad:

I hope you feel better soon.:)
    Frank Z wrote: »
    So I just got back from the eye doc. After **** around for more than a week I finally figured out what I wasn't getting any better I consented to going to the doc....basically Deb told me I was going. Had a nice piece of steel embedded in the right eye lens above the cornea. It got in there 10 days ago when I was working on a friends Jeep. Even though I had safety glasses on while grinding I still managed to get some metal in the eye.

Gotta go put some drops in...and kick myself in the ****.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited September 2007
    I felt my Oakley's get lifted off my nose more than a few times while weedeating. Money well spent.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    I work in the shipyards and have seen my share

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR PPE (personal protective equipment)...ALWAYS

Glad all is going to be okay

alot of guy`s in the yard had to learn the hard way....some of them will never be okay again
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    Correct, when doing anything unsafe always wear eye protection, a hard hat, and an athletic cup
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2007
    Just got back from my follow up...more grinding. Yippie!
    Had a "Rust Ring" from the original piece of steel, but they broke out the Dremel and dug it out. Looks like I might get a 3rd grinding session next week too.......insert whinnie heavy sigh.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2007
    Frank I too did that working on some ones small block heads, but I did it to both eyes. Yes wearing EYE PROTECTION.... I feel your pain.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2007
    I did this years ago...laying under the car and drilling directly above my face...with NO eye protection. A hot metal sliver in the eye is not a fun thing. Alas, then I was young and stupid. I am no longer young.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson