Apple cuts price of Iphone

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Wow.. after only being out for a few months.. Apple announced it cut it's expensive IPhone by $200 that's got to be the quickest price drop of any electronic device in history.

Sony and MS didn't drop the prices on their gaming consoles till they had been out for some time.

Price drops usually are done to generate sales... meaning a product isn't selling. :p
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    I read an article that said their stock price is not doing well. I have not been watching it myself.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    If anyone did buy an iPhone be aware that because of the price drop Apple is offering a $100 rebate to early adopters.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited September 2007
    I'd be all over the iPhone had they not gone exclusively with AT&T, the crappiest carrier around.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    I'm seeing Apple as another bose these days.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    Apple sold over 1 million iPhones in the first 2 months.

Their stock has been doing really, really well - until they dropped the price on the iPhone!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited September 2007
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    only offering $100 in store credit to it's current IPhone customers would tick me off.. why not $200? that's what they overpaid for it.

you just gotta think that Nokia and LG and Sony are probably going to release a IPhone clone soon.. you know it's going to happen. ;)
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2007
    LG had a touchscreen phone on the market overseas last year (way before iPhone came out)

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/29/apple-iphone-vs-lg-prada-separated-at-birth-part-2/
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited September 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    only offering $100 in store credit to it's current IPhone customers would tick me off.. why not $200? that's what they overpaid for it.

you just gotta think that Nokia and LG and Sony are probably going to release a IPhone clone soon.. you know it's going to happen. ;)

I don't understand why they should get a rebate at all!!!! They had to be the first ones (early adoptors) to get one and they paid thru the nose for it. It's called a free market and because technology changes so fast and trends come and go so fast Apple hyped the product, sold it for a price that obviously the market would bear and need to move on. It's initial popularity is diminishing and they are setting themselves up to make a killing for X-mas season by pricing it more attractively. The perfect model of capitalism.

I think it was over hyped and over priced to begin with and you'd never catch me spending that kind of money on a cell phone. I have a friend who bought one and I'm sure it was simply to show everyone he had one. He got it the first day on the first allocation. He was as happy as a pig in **** because that's what he thought was cool........to be the first to have one.

Most people are upset becuase their exclusive, expensive toy is now going to be a little more mainstream.....tough luck.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I don't understand why they should get a rebate at all!!!! They had to be the first ones (early adoptors) to get one and they paid thru the nose for it. It's called a free market and because technology changes so fast and trends come and go so fast Apple hyped the product, sold it for a price that obviously the market would bear and need to move on. It's initial popularity is diminishing and they are setting themselves up to make a killing for X-mas season by pricing it more attractively. The perfect model of capitalism.

I think it was over hyped and over priced to begin with and you'd never catch me spending that kind of money on a cell phone. I have a friend who bought one and I'm sure it was simply to show everyone he had one. He got it the first day on the first allocation. He was as happy as a pig in **** because that's what he thought was cool........to be the first to have one.

Most people are upset becuase their exclusive, expensive toy is now going to be a little more mainstream.....tough luck.

H9

Wow.

You are correct on at least one thing - it's a free market. The producer of the phone is the one who's offering the rebate, not the GOVERNMENT, so I don't even understand your free market argument. The only reason the company is offering the rebate is to keep their corporate image. Since this is a free market, customer loyalty is important. They don't OWE anything to their customers aside from the fact that they dont' want to be seen as jerks for punishing loyal people for their support. It's image.

As for your hatred for people who like gadgets and have the money to spend... ? Just weird and kinda sad. I don't want an iPhone, but I have the money, so if I did want one Id' buy it, and I really wouldn't care what you or anyone else thought of me for it, nor should I. Who cares WHY they want it, it's their money. If they jsut want to show off that they can afford their shiny new toy, more power to them. We're all just animals, showing off in one way or another.
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Wow.

You are correct on at least one thing - it's a free market. The producer of the phone is the one who's offering the rebate, not the GOVERNMENT, so I don't even understand your free market argument. The only reason the company is offering the rebate is to keep their corporate image. Since this is a free market, customer loyalty is important. They don't OWE anything to their customers aside from the fact that they dont' want to be seen as jerks for punishing loyal people for their support. It's image.

As for your hatred for people who like gadgets and have the money to spend... ? Just weird and kinda sad. I don't want an iPhone, but I have the money, so if I did want one Id' buy it, and I really wouldn't care what you or anyone else thought of me for it, nor should I. Who cares WHY they want it, it's their money. If they jsut want to show off that they can afford their shiny new toy, more power to them. We're all just animals, showing off in one way or another.

Bob what are you smoking..........you totally missed my point. I'm simply saying that those who paid for the IPhone when it first came out shouldn't be complaining about the price drop from Apple. I have no hatred for people who like gadgets, but if you want the newest thing you have to pay to play and it's not up to the manufacturer to rebate you money when they decide to lower the price or change technology.

Also I don't get the correlation at all of hurting their image by lowering the price. If the early adoptors are having buyers remorse it's not up to Apple to massage their feelings. I'm sure a majority of the people who bought the phones bought it because it was new and there was really nothing like it. If it was overpriced to being with no one would have bought them.

H9

P.S. How the hell did the GOVERNMENT get involved. You pulled that out of your **** :eek:
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    **retracted**
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I don't understand why they should get a rebate at all!!!! H9

I'm sure it was all part of the plan to start with. What does Apple value most? It's customers. If you were an early adopter, you certainly didn't have a problem breaking off $600 for the iPhone, so getting an unexpected $100 bucks back is a great marketing strategy. It's a great way to build brand loyalty.

I can't imagine Microsoft doing something like that 'cause they don't seem to give a damn about their customers.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Well you mentioned free market, so I was trying to see hwo this wasn't a "free market" move. It's a corporation looking out for its own ****, that's about as "free market" as it gets.
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    I'm sure it was all part of the plan to start with. What does Apple value most? It's customers. If you were an early adopter, you certainly didn't have a problem breaking off $600 for the iPhone, so getting an unexpected $100 bucks back is a great marketing strategy. It's a great way to build brand loyalty.

I can't imagine Microsoft doing something like that 'cause they don't seem to give a damn about their customers.

The thing is if I actually bought something where I knew the technology or trend was changing rapidly I would never expect to get a reabte after the fact. My comment is directed more towards those who have reportedly been complaining because the rebate should be $200. Kudos to Apple for trying to mitigate the circumstances of the current customer, but I honestly don't see why they had to do it in the first place, that's all. :)

H9
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    they should just have given each customer a free IPod instead of a in store credit. ;)

I don't have the money for one.. and while it would be cool.. i'd break the damn thing in the first two weeks, i'm sure of that. Im very rought on small electronics.. and small puppies too. :eek: :confused::p
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    they should just have given each customer a free IPod instead of a in store credit. ;)

I don't have the money for one.. and while it would be cool.. i'd break the damn thing in the first two weeks, i'm sure of that. Im very rought on small electronics.. and small puppies too. :eek: :confused::p

Well, I'm sure they would have given you a new one free of charge even though it would have been broken through no fault of theirs. :rolleyes: . :D
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    Keiko wrote: »
    I'm not a marketing expert but does anyone think the price drop with the iphone has anything to do with the new ipod touch screens?

No. it has to do with sagging sales and the fact that the holiday season is around the corner. They are gearing up to make a killing for X-mas.

H9
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited September 2007
    Whether or not it was a marketing ploy, I think it took a lot of balls from Apple to issue a sizable rebate. This is what happens when you're the first to buy something -- It's expensive and it WILL come down in price eventually. They would have pissed off a lot of customers by dropping the price so quickly, but with the sales numbers and still charging 100 more than what they're going for now it looks like they should be pulling ahead quite a bit while easing the minds and pockets of the first gen buyers.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited September 2007
    It's a wierd deal.
    I don't fully understand the rebate but I do in a way. the phone is completely cool. I'm considering getting one but I'm not sure about going back to AT&T. I switched to Verizon a few year ago and I have been very happy.
    I don't need a Iphone but man is it cool.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.