Brand new Imac 24 inch

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,185
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hello all,
I just picked up the brand new Silver Imac 24 inch screen size. This thing is killer. I love how fast it is and how cool mac is. It's not loaded up with all the crap you get when you buy a PC. I have been PC all my life and this is a brand new adventure for all of us.
I see why so many people love mac. Hell I fell in love the first time I played with one. I tried out the older white model and they told me about this new one so I waited.
So far so good.
Any other Imac users out there????

Dan
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    Congrats Dan. My brother-in-law has been trying to convice to go to MAC for the past 10 years. I did have a look at the Imac 24" after your post and configured the MAc to the hilt. 4GB memory and Huge HD. Add wireless keyboard and mouse and I would have all the video and photography power I would need.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited August 2007
    Got my first Mac in 1984. The current desktop is a 20" G5 iMac. Clean, simple and powerful.
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited August 2007
    We also got a Mac when they first came out and that's all I've ever had or wanted. No viruses and I've never had the problems others do with a PC.

Cindy
  • mantis
    edited August 2007
    cindy100 wrote: »
    We also got a Mac when they first came out and that's all I've ever had or wanted. No viruses and I've never had the problems others do with a PC.

Cindy
    This is the biggest reason I decided to switch to mac. We are tired of all the PC problems. I can't speak for mac yeet but a friend of mine has used Mac for over 10 years with no trouble at all. Notebooks and desktops. He has the super computer currently with the huge screen like 26 or something.

We have been playing around with it for hours now and I got alot to learn. I haven't figured out how to see the computers spec's yet or able to inlarge the view on the internet. Funny all things I know how to do with PC and not mac.

Dan
    Dan
  • Texas42
    Texas42 Posts: 404
    edited August 2007
    I switched from PC to a Mac about 6 months ago with an IMac. I wish I had waited for the new iMacs and for the Leopard OS but I was so tired of all the crashes and viruses on the PC. Definitely works easier, faster, and more secure if a bit more expensive...
  • mantis
    edited August 2007
    Texas42 wrote: »
    I switched from PC to a Mac about 6 months ago with an IMac. I wish I had waited for the new iMacs and for the Leopard OS but I was so tired of all the crashes and viruses on the PC. Definitely works easier, faster, and more secure if a bit more expensive...
    I don't think there all that more. For what you get and the hassle free I believe is worth it. Not a single pop up yet. No annoying startup time. No please wait for a program to respond. Everything is smooth and sweet.
    Such a nice computer, I wish I did it along time ago.

Dan
    Dan
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited August 2007
    Welcome to the sane side of computing. I have had nothing but Apple laptops since 2000 and they have been the most trouble free machines that I have ever owned. I run absolutely no virus protection, only a simple hardware firewall on a Belkin router, and have never had a single security problem, ever! I spend all of my time working and playing on my Powerbook, not tweaking and fixing. I am a pro Photographer and this thing gets used, a lot. My laptop that I have now is 3 and a half years old and it is still a very productive machine. It sees an average of 400 images a week and I have never had one get corrupted, or go missing in all that time. The color rendition and tonal range are far superior on macs right out of the box, so everything that you see is a much more accurate representation of what your final output is going to be, whether you are using spreadsheets, presentation software or doing graphics and page layout. You will really grow to appreciate the little things that apple engineers into the machines that they make. Have fun with your new toy, JB
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited August 2007
    AHHH the great mac pc debate. I have been in support business for 15 years by no means am I an expert but I will give my opinion on this debate. First I have both systems a mac and a pc I use a pc for my desktop and a mac for my laptop. Lets begin with the mac, great OS, very stable, very easy to use, very easy to learn pretty much trouble free. Way overpriced when the hardware inside is the same as a pc. The thing I dont like about the mac is I am forced to purchase a mac computer. I compare this to the sony betamax better quality than vhs but you had to buy a sony, and we see what happened to betamax. Now to the issue of virus's and problems its a matter of the percentage of the computer user population using windows versus mac. Why would you write a virus for an OS when only 10% of the population is using it doesnt make much sense. This goes the same for general problems with an OS 90% use windows of course there is going to be more problems. TRUST ME if 90% were using mac OS you would have as many problems and virus's. Now to the pc what I like about the pc is I can buy any hardware I want and run windows for alot less money than the mac. Now that mac is using intel cpu the hardware is the same you just pay more for the hardware. Doesnt make much sense mac charges more for the same hardware a windows based machine. I know most people dont build there own computer's but with the windows based system you get more choices on the hardware you want, you want a mac based system you have 1 choice again doesnt make sense. If you dont like the windows based machine you buy loaded with all that software its real easy its called uninstall or wipe out and load XP. I have had the same XP load on my desktop for 3 years now and have never had a virus and do not run any virus software. The only thing I have done is add ram and video card upgrades which you cant do with the imac. The imac is an awsome machine but I wouldnt pay that much for a machine that about the only upgrade I can do is ram. I am sure I will get flamed pretty hard for this but again this is just my opinion I use both and love them both. Mac stable trouble free, pc more choices of hardware and software but again goes back to percentage of what the population is using. If mac was the dominent OS the tables would be turned.
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • mantis
    edited August 2007
    No flaming here man. Just opnions of the computer and if you want to add in pc, thats cool 2. I own 2 Pc's and 1 Imac and so far I'm liking the Imac more. It's so simple and clean. Everything makes sense. Thats how I see it for now. My kids love it. they ahve already made a few movies and took many pictures.
    Dan
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    I'm on a white iMac now, and my next laptop will be a 17" Macbook Pro....These things really are incredible, my only complaint is the key board that came with this thing....Hurts my wrists after a while. They solved that with the new keyboards that come with the iMac...They are a little more low profile, and they are hot looking too, with that machined alum case...
  • mantis
    edited August 2007
    Yeah man they are very nice. I love the new keyboard. I find it very comfortable to use but I also don't type for hours on end or anything. I use the Mighty mouse most of the time.
    It's an adjustment to go from Imac from Pc but I don't miss Pc in any way shape or form.

Dan
    Dan
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    Don't you miss the ability to right click even the tiniest bit? :D
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    I just got my new iCrap.

icrap.JPG
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    I switched to mac's 3 1/2 years ago & am thrilled to have done so. I have a Macbook and an iMac & love them both.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited September 2007
    I don't own an iMac, I use a Mac Pro however I got an iMac from my mom and she absolutely loves it. Been a PC user my entire life, worked in the IT department at a company in Sunnyvale, CA for 3 years so I have pretty much always been a huge PC guy and very proficient with them. Ever since purchasing my Mac Pro I have never looked back. At the time I purchased it, you could NOT build a PC for cheaper with the same hardware but I was also looking to have OS X be my primary OS since I had spent multiple years using it on the TDM setups in the studio. Now I spend all my time doing work or whatever I want to be doing on my machine rather than fixing little hitches I always seem to run into in regards to 3rd party apps and hardware in my PCs.

Those have been my experiences, I figured at least one PC fan would come in and start crapping (quite literally in demi's case). Both platforms have their advantages, however I have yet to meet one person who has switched from PC to Mac and has ever gone back. I know I don't see myself doing so anytime soon.

Loving the new keyboards too!
    sidese0.jpg
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • mantis
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Don't you miss the ability to right click even the tiniest bit? :D

Yes I do. I have not figured out everything on the Imac yet but Instead of right clicking, you hae a top left tap section to do the things you would do with a right click.

The other thing I have not figured out how to do is run multiple broswers at the same time. I gotta learn that or figure it out.

All in all I love the Imac, no problems , no wierd things going on. The biggest problem with PC is all the problems... PC is so buggy I can't take it. Every single PC I ever had has had problems. I have built my own, owne machine that where top of the line from Dell, Gateway , HP , Compac ,IBM and none of them work well. At first they where lightning fast then found a way to drag there ****. So far the Imac is lightning quick and stable as hell.
    A buddy of mine has the Pro G5 with a 23 inch screen and it's 2 years old and he never had a single problem. It's as lightning fast as the day he got it. He also has a Macbook and the same thing with that. Funny he has a Dell for work programming and it crashes all the time. He hates the thing.

Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited September 2007
    mutelight wrote: »
    I don't own an iMac, I use a Mac Pro however I got an iMac from my mom and she absolutely loves it. Been a PC user my entire life, worked in the IT department at a company in Sunnyvale, CA for 3 years so I have pretty much always been a huge PC guy and very proficient with them. Ever since purchasing my Mac Pro I have never looked back. At the time I purchased it, you could NOT build a PC for cheaper with the same hardware but I was also looking to have OS X be my primary OS since I had spent multiple years using it on the TDM setups in the studio. Now I spend all my time doing work or whatever I want to be doing on my machine rather than fixing little hitches I always seem to run into in regards to 3rd party apps and hardware in my PCs.

Those have been my experiences, I figured at least one PC fan would come in and start crapping (quite literally in demi's case). Both platforms have their advantages, however I have yet to meet one person who has switched from PC to Mac and has ever gone back. I know I don't see myself doing so anytime soon.

Loving the new keyboards too!
    sidese0.jpg
    Yes the new keyboards are very nice and slim. I'm waiting on the Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse. It should be out in a few weeks.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited September 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I just got my new iCrap.

icrap.JPG

Looks like shaving cream. I can't see how anyone can call a imac crap.
    Dan
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    Eh, just jealous PC users who're so tied to & invested in their computers that they can't pull away to join us converts to mac.

:D
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited September 2007
    mantis wrote: »
    Looks like shaving cream. I can't see how anyone can call a imac crap.

It's got nothing to do with the iMac. It's about the iApple culture. Was just messing with you guys anyways. Put your Club Polk skin back on. :D
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited September 2007
    mantis wrote: »
    Yes I do. I have not figured out everything on the Imac yet but Instead of right clicking, you hae a top left tap section to do the things you would do with a right click.

The other thing I have not figured out how to do is run multiple broswers at the same time. I gotta learn that or figure it out.

For some reason, I noticed on my mom's iMac that out of the box the right click was disabled. Click on the "System Preferences" down on the dock then go to "Keyboard and Mouse". Under there you can assign the 4 mouse buttons on the mouse however you want. It may look like there is only 1 button but there is in fact 4, you can just simply change the right-click to "secondary button" and you should be good to go.

In regards to multiple browsers, do you mean multiple windows? Multiple tabs? I recommend downloading the latest beta of Safari, very fast and reliable.

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection