BAT VK-60 cap upgrade

Options
BlueMDPicker
BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
edited September 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
William brought this absolutely stunning tube power amp by this afternoon.

VK-60medium.jpg

It's the largest piece of tube audio gear I've ever seen! We upgraded the Jensen (pretty damn fine caps to begin with) coupling caps with V-Cap Teflon Film Tin Foil. I'll let William fill in the details. A couple of pics:
Post edited by BlueMDPicker on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Nice!

Pictures definitely don't do it justuce.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Very nice!
    Carl

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Mike,I cant thank you enough.I have 15 Hrs on the .22uf V-cap TFTF Reference grade capacitors and all i can say is WOW! It has low level detail to die for. the Bass is some of the best that i have ever heard from either a tube or solid state amp! the midrange is still very beautiful which was a strong point with this design to begin with. all of the other performance parameters have been elevated to the same level of excellence as the midrange. i cant find any flaws in respect to how the VK 60 sounds now,its perfect! :cool: I will begin searching for another VK 60 to mod so that i can run a pair of these as 120 Wpc Monoblocks :)
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Nice indeed,BAT build some of the tidiest looking tube stuff.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited August 2007
    Options
    i cant find any flaws in respect to how the VK 60 sounds now,its perfect! :cool:

Now that makes me smile.
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I now have 500+ hours on my V-cap MdBluePicker modded BAT VK60. According to the manufacturer 500 hours is the time that it takes to fully break in the TFTF Reference grade capacitors. i think i paid $360 + for four .22uf capacitors.if i had known the dramatic and entirely positive effect it would have on the sonic signature of my VK60 i would gladly have paid several times as much for the V-cap TFTF's! these Caps in the tube coupling positions are stellar performers and i highly recommend them to anyone considering such a modification. thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg