Plasma on wall and the AC outlet behind

disneyjoe7
disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I have my 1 year old plasma mounted to wall, and I wish to add a clock outlet behind for power. But I also have a large UPS that I like the plasma also protected by such any nice way to make this work? :confused:

Speakers
Carver Amazing Fronts
CS400i Center
RT800i's Rears
Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
Parasound Halo A23
Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
Pioneer 79Avi DVD
Sony CX400 CD changer
Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Post edited by disneyjoe7 on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    Oh yeah, where there's a will, there's a way. Are you handy with sheetrock repairs?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited August 2007
    Best thing to do man is add your outlet behind the tv and pickup a Pananax plasma surge protecter. It's a 500ex. You can mount it right behind the tv.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    I would use a good looking big fat long **** power cord. One you could see, and I would tell everyone my picture looks better with it. Any geek who complained would get the biggest drink of water they ever had.......

just a thought there DJ7. eff the neat police.

RT1
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited August 2007
    Check out Panamax's MIW power systems. You put the standard outlet behind your television, a specialized outlet by your other equipment, then run romex between the two. The kit comes with a power cable that will run from the ups to the specialized outlet. Then you have your television on the power protection system, and the outlet behind the tv.

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=1&sec=detail&id=221&ly=h
    http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=1&sec=detail&id=261&ly=h

They aren't the cheapest solution, but they do work pretty good.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • disneyjoe7
    edited August 2007
    Ok all good solutions depending on how I wish to pay for them (Ted Jail maybe out, But....)

First yes I'm handy in drywall repair.

Second I like the closeness of the TV to wall so I thinking of removing the tilt brackets for the flat bracket, so space behind is limited.

Gee $300 bucks for a propriety cord thing. Why couldn't I just mount the 110vac outlet behind and run the romex down to a male twist-lock receptacle? What not code :(

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    Get the UPS unit that attaches to your circuit breaker. You can protect multiple runs with each unit. Eliminates the need for any ugly UPS unit in sight.

APC makes the circuit breaker units, they mount right to the side of the box.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited August 2007
    Get the UPS unit that attaches to your circuit breaker. You can protect multiple runs with each unit. Eliminates the need for any ugly UPS unit in sight.

APC makes the circuit breaker units, they mount right to the side of the box.

Well the breaker idea won't work as I have 3 electrical boxes in this house and the breaker is in an outside box.
    Other then that I like the large UPS thing I have going.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited August 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, where there's a will, there's a way. Are you handy with sheetrock repairs?

Ok I removed all sheetrock I down to bare studs now what?:D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited August 2007
    okiepolkie wrote: »
    Check out Panamax's MIW power systems. You put the standard outlet behind your television, a specialized outlet by your other equipment, then run romex between the two. The kit comes with a power cable that will run from the ups to the specialized outlet. Then you have your television on the power protection system, and the outlet behind the tv.

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=1&sec=detail&id=221&ly=h
    http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=1&sec=detail&id=261&ly=h

They aren't the cheapest solution, but they do work pretty good.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Well that looks like the best solution to the need. :) The only question that comes to mind is the side input plate, can that be removed so I can run 2 HDMI cables down between both units? Or I'm best doing something else where the AC is on one side of the stud and my video cables are on the other side of the stud?

Steve

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    Extend the closest outlet to the area removed and re-install, parallel to the wall [-vs- normal install] if necessary. Be sure to abide by codes. You have the choice to either caulk around the area removed and paint [along studs / the other side of the wall to seal airways, then finishing off with corner bead] or to plan ahead to re-sheetrock and corner bead, then paint the area cut out to allow for the outlet and the surge protector and wiring, both for power wiring and IC/cable wiring. If it's the latter of the two that you choose, plan WAY ahead taking into consideration separating power connections from video/IC connections. The length of some cords/cables and fitting them into the space neatly will be your biggest challenge in order to do a professional job.

If you do run out of space, rip more sheetrock out and re-frame that particular part of the wall trying not to disturb the other side's substrate to where you can accommodate what you need to do. Planning ahead and thinking of every conceivable snag is the most important thing at this point. Do proceed with caution if the wall is a load bearing wall, of course.

If you are handy with woodworking and want to entertain the thought of this, then you can build a frame around the set and custom color or match the interior decorations [whether it be modern, artistic, classical, or country decor], adding ambient lighting if desired around the frame and necessary ventilation. With a frame around the TV, it adds some flexibility to what all you can accommodate behind the screen.

If you can provide a pic of what you have to install in the removed areas along with what you need to accommodate within said area, we can give you more suggestions as to which way to go.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • disneyjoe7
    edited August 2007
    Oh ****! You took my serious :eek:

No I won't remove any sheetrock until I know what I can see the future plan is.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• A55HAT
    A55HAT Posts: 6
    edited August 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Ok I removed all sheetrock I down to bare studs now what?:D

Toss the wife in & start a-wallin it back up. Quick-and-quiet
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    what's the matter with seeing a cord or box??? Joe, you have been watching HGTV and Lifetime again. Go get some beer, pretzels, and some chocolate cake to finish it off, plop down in your chair, adjust your **** cheeks and enjoy all that you have with your rigs, just keep a good hold on the remote.

Throw some audio magazines around for decoration, they make "reel" good fung shway or however its spelled.

RT1
  • disneyjoe7
    edited August 2007
    Well I just remembered the "Duct Tape Guys" well problem is solved. Duct tape cables to wall then paint to match, damn that was a no brainier. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited August 2007
    Steve, you can take out the little plug and run hdmi in there without a problem. It is "recommended" to use CL3 rate hdmi cables, but I think you will be okay in your own residence.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in getting one of the MIW's. That would be too bad to ship to you.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • disneyjoe7
    edited August 2007
    Thanks I shot you a PM next week or so.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics