Let's talk about dogs

2»

Comments

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited August 2007
    I recall reading about a professional burgler. He wasn't scared of a homeowner with a gun because most aren't train to use it. He wasn't scared of dogs because he usually carried a weapon. What was he scared of? Two dobermans. They attack in groups and he could only fend off one.

+1 to McLoki's comments. For families, I'd recommend a watch dog, not a guard dog. I'm partial to labs. They're high energy dogs and they want to be around the family all the time. That being said, you may not want one with that much energy. Golden retrievers are generally mellower but will bark at anyone attempting to break in. Personality/temper plays a large part. Just don't get a neurotic one.

I'd start with at least 2 years old. 8 months, especially for large breeds, are still considered puppies.

Good luck.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited August 2007
    We have a Jack Russell Terrier at home who is incredible with my daughter and all other kids she has ever been around. They are notorious for being yippy, but have a "big dog in a small body" attitude. She sounds mean when the doorbell rings or there is an unusual noise, but it doesn't go any further than that with humans. She is pretty indifferent around other dogs, but will protect. A Chocalte Lab mix was off leash in our neighborhood was approaching my wife and daughter growling while they were on a walk and she protected them. She spent the night in the ER with a laceration wound and a pucture wound, got 6 stitches and was ready to go the next day.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited August 2007
    Heading back to a few shelters today.

North Shore has 50% adoptions this weekend

fatchowmein: I actually grew up with a doberman/german shepherd mix and he was an excellent dog for us however, was aggressive toward anyone else which made it difficult when we had friends over.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited March 2008
    So Mike - did you end up getting a dog? If so, what did you get and how is it working out for you?
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)