Let's talk about dogs

Options
Mike682
Mike682 Posts: 2,074
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
We are looking to adopt a dog and after going to the many shelters around we found nothing. (For those who know, yep we just started looking, for those who don't know, we had a break-in when no one was home back in Feb and I wanted to get a dog then but my wife was nine months pregnant at the time so we decided to wait).

The tough part is that shelters are hit and miss and we can only go on the weekends. We saw a nice dog, but she was already adopted. That just missed it feeling is driving me crazy.

Anyway, here is what's important:
1) Cannot be a puppy becuase we both work full time. We are looking for a dog around 8 months to a year or so old

2) MUST be good with children and

3) Have good guard dog ablities.

Does anyone have some tips on how to select a mixed breed dog that will fit our needs? In other words, does the dog take the tempermant of both breeds?

Thanks
Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
Mains: polk R30
Center: polk CSi3
Rear Surrounds: polk R20
Subwoofer: polk PSW404
DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
Post edited by Mike682 on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited August 2007
    Options
    If I was you, go to the AKC site and look for breeds that meet your needs. I think the have a little test to see what breeds fit you. Then contact the local AKC clubs to see if they have any rescue dogs in the breed your looking for. Rescue is what the clubs do when they see there is dog of there breed that are in dog pounds or other places (people don't want them after there not puppy's and such).
    Good Luck

PS: I have English Setter breed
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I'd look at a slightly older (2+ years old) labs. They'll be past their high energy stage so they will be content to sleep all day while you're gone. They are good with kids and do protect their "pack". Generally, the "good with kids" and "guard dog" are somewhat exclusive to eachother. To me, poodles and labs are the only ones really good at both (German Shepherds are IF the kid is present from the time it was a pup)

For your mixed breed question, it depends... You have to be around the dog to pick it up.

Just my input/experience.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited August 2007
    Options
    This site should get you started, they have a http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/
    They have a breed selector quiz, and a lot of information.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited August 2007
    Options
    There are too many adoptable dogs around. Don't give up on the shelters, free pet ads in the paper and craigslist. Be patient and let your friends, family, co-workers, etc know that you're looking and one will show up. Do shelters have a waiting list if you know exactly what you want?

edit: I forgot about neighbors. They always to seem to know someone that's wanting to give away a dog.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Here you go..:D :D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    Options
    my friend has had three dogs over the years.. all have been German Shepherds.. all have turned out to be good guard dogs. very loyal, very smart and easy to train.

like candyliquor35m said. don't give up on the shelters... you may also want to post a ad on Craigslist looking for a pet..

good luck and sorry about your break in .. that would freak me out..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I think any type of dog will work, it's the barking that scares them away as it draws attention to your house/apt..what ever it may be. Not to say that if some one does come in a bigger dog will be intimidating.
  • wingnut4772
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Ok. If you insist on being serious...:p

I have a Chocolate Lab...She is 1.5 years old and pretty but not too bright. The Yellows and Blacks are smarter. Do NOT get a young one as they can be very high maintenance. I like the German Shepherd idea but it's tougher to pick them up later and harder to find.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    Options
    German Shepards are very easy to find and are WAY overbread. Beware of early hip problems, I've seen them start as early as 4 years and seen ones that could not walk after 6.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    Options
    It's not the best idea to get an adult guard dog when children are present.

You're really going to have to give up on one of your requirements unless you want to take a big gamble.

Most guard dogs that are good with kids need to be raised and trained by someone responsible from the time they are a puppy on through adulthood. When you adopt you don't know if that person raised it responsibly or not, which makes them a wild card around kids.

Personally, I'd ditch the guard dog part of it and just get a dog like a Golden Retreiver (or similar), which aren't predisposed to being aggresive dogs.
  • Paul in Canada
    Paul in Canada Posts: 178
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Dogs are great but puppy or not they still need and deserve proper attention. It can be difficult to find the time and energy to properly look after a dog and with a baby crawling around on the floor I don't think I would trust an older dog that I found at a shelter. I would suggest waiting until your baby is a little older and get a puppy if you feel you have the time to properly look after it. If your just looking to protect your home install an alarm and purchase a gun. It would be a lot cheaper in the end.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Chocolate labs are better if you feed them almonds.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • wingnut4772
    edited August 2007
    Options
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    German Shepards are very easy to find and are WAY overbread. Beware of early hip problems, I've seen them start as early as 4 years and seen ones that could not walk after 6.

That's what I meant.....The good ones are hard to find.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited August 2007
    Options
    We just adopted a 2yr old Lhasa (some poodle) from a rescue organization online. There are groups out there for every breed. Just do some searching.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • candyliquor35m
    edited August 2007
    Options
    On dateline or one of those shows, they had 2 experienced thieves that said dogs and even alarms aren't as much of a deterrent if any to an experienced thief. They said the dogs just get in the way because they follow them around the house wanting to be petted.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2007
    Options
    It's not so much the breed as to how the dog spent it's first year and how it came to be in a shelter.Most dogs are protective of their owners.Getting one with a good disposition and great with kids is another story.Paws is a good organization who puts the dogs in foster homes to evaluate them before letting them go out for adoption.All in all,when the right ones come along,you'll know it.Good family breeds,German sheperds,Golden retrievers,Labs,Boxers,to name a few.But heed this warning,if you are a couch potato,and have no intention of spending any time with a dog,his behavior may turn distructive to objects,furniture,shoes,etc,then a dog is not for you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Like others have said, wanting a grown guard dog is going to be tricky especially with the little one in the picture. I simply would not take the chance unless I knew the owners or it had been through a reputable program.

I bread Great Pyreneese so of course I'm biased towards them. They're wonderful with kids, very gentle and laid back, but also great guard dogs. Who can resist one of these guys?
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • wingnut4772
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Bamadude wrote:
    I bread Great Pyreneese so of course I'm biased towards them.

Mmmmmmm...breaded Pyreneese....yum.:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited August 2007
    Options
    oops, i was eating lunch while I typed that :)
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • candyliquor35m
    edited August 2007
    Options
    101 ways to wok your dog?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Options
    :D WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I thought the same thing only YUK!:eek: :D
    Mmmmmmm...breaded Pyreneese....yum.:D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Mike682
    edited August 2007
    Options
    On dateline or one of those shows, they had 2 experienced thieves that said dogs and even alarms aren't as much of a deterrent if any to an experienced thief. They said the dogs just get in the way because they follow them around the house wanting to be petted.

I saw the end of that segment. Those guys are from the show " It takes a thief" which was on discovery channel. On the shows I watched, the dogs they ran into were little, overfriendly dogs. I highly dought they would saying the same thing if they ran a dog like this: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm.
  • Mike682
    edited August 2007
    Options
    great responses guys/gals

Great points about getting a older dog from the shelter.

Getting a family dog is more important than getting a guard dog. Although it would be nice to have that combo

Of course it would be best to get a puppy. We would spend a lot of time with the dog during evenings. However, the days are a concern as I just don't feel comfortable leaving a puppy in a crate all day while we are at work.
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I noticed that you are in Long Island. My wife and I have adopted a total of 3 dogs (not all at once :eek: )from the North Shore Animal League in Port Washington. All were puppies and the first lasted almost 13 years (a male red dobermin mix, very gentle and good with kids). Our current pet of 8 years is a female shepard/rottie mix who is just great. Of course, my kids are grown (26 & 22) but have been around those 2 dogs for all of their toddler/teen years. We currently have 2, the previously mentioned female (8) & a male we adopted from a rescue four years ago. As with all adoptions, YMMV.

Although nowadays, it seems to be harder to adopt a dog than to adopt a child!
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Mike682
    edited August 2007
    Options
    jgido759 wrote: »
    I noticed that you are in Long Island. My wife and I have adopted a total of 3 dogs (not all at once :eek: )from the North Shore Animal League in Port Washington. All were puppies and the first lasted almost 13 years (a male red dobermin mix, very gentle and good with kids). Our current pet of 8 years is a female shepard/rottie mix who is just great. Of course, my kids are grown (26 & 22) but have been around those 2 dogs for all of their toddler/teen years. We currently have 2, the previously mentioned female (8) & a male we adopted from a rescue four years ago. As with all adoptions, YMMV.

Although nowadays, it seems to be harder to adopt a dog than to adopt a child!

North Shore is a great shelter. My in-laws adopted thier dog there. I have been there a few times in the past couple of weeks. Lots of dogs and cats. That was the shelter where I just missed a black lab. I went to show my wife, and someone else got him in the meantime.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    Options
    As with others in thread I can only agree that a dog will fail at deterring a thief because they just run around and want to be petted. Not to mention if the thief feeds it then it's all over.

Get yourself a nice 12 gage and if someone breaks in God help them.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Try a Border Collie mix. Sweet dog but will let you know if somethings amiss.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Once you find a breed you are interested in - make sure it matches your families disposition or you will learn to drive each other nuts - if you are athletic and like to hike a husky may be a great dog. If you are anal about being neat and clean and like to sit at home and watch movies - a husky will drive you insane (and ruin everything in your house to keep himself occupied).

Worry 1st about getting a dog that fits yours and your famiilies personality - Then get an older dog that gets along well with children. For now don't worry about the guard dog aspect as the better they are at guarding, the more risk you will be putting your child in. Most dogs will bark at an intruder - when you have small children in the house, you do not want a dog that has been bred and trained to do more than that. (you would be better off just keeping a loaded gun on the table and telling your child not to play with it)

When you find the breed that you are interested in - Here is a great place to go to find something in your area.

Personally I like the giant breeds - Our current great dane fits in really well with our family and young children (we got him from a breeder).

Our St. Bernard we got from a shelter we found through the petfinder link above. While she is a great dog - it was difficult to untrain her from many of her learned bad behaviors. Since we know dogs well and have had some stubborn giants in the past - we consider her ok around our kids, but I am sure she was either not raised with kids or the kids she was raised with abused her, because she tolerates the children more than loves them to death. (not typical for Saints...) Given that - she does not stay alone with them nor do we leave her side when she is fed should the kids get to close to her. She would have been a terrible choice for someone not used to large (she is 172#) strong-willed dogs.

If you dont know what you want, describe what you are looking for (size, temperment, energy level, care level (combing, shedding, grooming, slobbering, etc.) as well as a little about your family (out all the time, active, like to relax when you get home, etc.) and I will make some recommendations.

Saying you want a dog good with kids is kind of like saying you want speakers that sound good. We need a little more info before we can really help. With my preference for larger dogs - that is where most of my knowlege is at, but I am sure someone can help you out if the toy breeds are really what you want.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Everyone knows that Bulldogs are the best!
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I don't really like bringing adult dogs in as pets when kids are involved. It'shard to know how they will react with the kids climbing on them or taking objects out of thier mouth, etc. . Any larger size dog will deter the common small time crook. Unless you live in a 2,000,000 dollar home, I can't see a true pro picking out the average home to rob. Look on line for breeders of dogs you like and see if they have any older dogs for sale. Some buyers get cold feet after they purchase a dog and return them to breeders or they may have a stud dog or a female that they don't want to over breed.
    Check out Rotti's. Mine was great with kids and very protective. Very smart dogs but can be stubern.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880